What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immediate changes from Bennett

DeeJ

Bench
By far and away Parker is the best choice for captain over Hodges, and out of anyone at the club.

TheViking

Juniors
Yeah Hodges is almost at Matai-like fragility now.

He'd be a poor choice.

I'm no Manly fan though I think Matai may be injured on field a lot though has he even missed many games in the past few years. I'd think he would of played a shitload more then Hodges in the past few years.

Maroon4life

Juniors
Surprised there are people who are weary of Boyd signing, he would create magnificent cohesion and stability from fullback, sign him up now I say. I get he hasn't maintained the form but alot of the dragons strength came from Boyd's work at the back. If theres a chance we can have him doing that at the broncos im excited.

1. Boyd
6. Milford
7. Hunt
9. Mccullouch

Very nice.

Dazzat

First Grade
Surprised there are people who are weary of Boyd signing, he would create magnificent cohesion and stability from fullback, sign him up now I say. I get he hasn't maintained the form but alot of the dragons strength came from Boyd's work at the back. If theres a chance we can have him doing that at the broncos im excited.

1. Boyd
6. Milford
7. Hunt
9. Mccullouch

Very nice.

I think that's a pretty good combination. All we need is an X-factor Segeraro type No. 9 on the bench (Granville's gone - thanks Griffin!), to add a bit of strike at the end of each half, and we're looking good. Maybe young Taylor can fill that role next year as I hear he's a good defender.

Oh sorry I misread a 6 for a 2 lol. Yeah I don't mind the look of that. But what happens to Barba?

Edit: Oh I see dropped. Yeah the way he's been playing. Hopefully we see something out of him next year.

I've always like Boyd on the wing.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Barba playing park footy.

Without a major attitude transplant, or a shot of Bennett "fire-up-or-your-gone" Barba will follow the path of Ewan McGrady, just taking an extra season to spiral out of the competition entirely.

The trouble, of course, is if Barba moved to Brisbane for "family reasons", then how can he justify moving on?

Can't imagine the Gold Coast wanting him with Zillman and Mead competing for the No. 1 and Seizer a potential champion.

JW

Coach
TBH I'm hoping we not only hold on to Barba but manage to find a permanent role for him in the 17.

He's had a pretty mixed time of it on and off the field since the Dogs, but if or when he comes good again he's going to be fricken worth it no matter where he plays.

How he gets to that point again and in what time frame are the obvious issues to consider though from the club's POV.

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
JW ... Barba played almost every game this year, and in only about three of those games did he contribute in a positive way. Sorry, but I can't support him staying at the club without a massive improvement.

Considering the space he's taking up in the salary cup there will have to be a huge attitude shift. And I mean attitude, because he obviously has the ability.

As I've said before here, I thought Griffin should have demoted him to ISC back in about round five/six. Bennett won't cop what Barba handed out this year, and may turn him around ... but I've heard a few things about Barba from people who know and it will be interesting.

DeeJ

Bench
As I've said before here, I thought Griffin should have demoted him to ISC back in about round five/six. Bennett won't cop what Barba handed out this year, and may turn him around ... but I've heard a few things about Barba from people who know and it will be interesting.

Such as?

Feel bad for Barba but let's face it, he wasn't up to scratch and hasn't been good since 2012. Broncos obviously felt bad about missing out on The Dugan so they threw everything at Barba which didn't pay off.

Dazzat

First Grade
Well let's just put it this way ... Barba's 'indiscretions' while a the Bulldogs make Dugan's 'indiscretions' at the Raiders look like a choir boy's (from a potential damage to club morale that is).

And this explains the trajectory of each player as well. Dugan has gone from strength to strength. Barba is playing like crap, and will do until he is made accountable for what happened in Canterbury. If the Broncos players knew (which I imagine they do), then they would eye him with a great deal of suspicion and would also explain why he never seemed to gel with the team.

To be a play maker like at No. 6, your team mates need to trust you. I didn't see that with Barba and Bennett would be aware of this as well.

The big idea here: You can have all the ability under the sun, but without good morals you've got nothing.

JW

Coach
Good points lads. I guess the pre season and early next season will give a good indicator of what the foreseeable future holds for him. Wayne will have seen all he needs to see by then as far as the potential to straighten himself out in all areas goes and his true standing in the squad. As I said, I'm still hoping for the best for him as I enjoy watching naturally talented players playing to their ability (especially for us), but time will tell.

Maroon4life

Juniors
I think for team solidity we need to offload Barba and Hoffman & sign Boyd. Bennett needs to start on a succession plan for hodges starting in 2016. For next year we could finnish top 4 with:

1. Boyd
2. Kahu
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Hoffman
6. Milford
7. Hunt
9. McCullouch

Barba just doesn't fit into this team anywhere & I think broncos will work hard to offload him between now and march next year.

Snappy

Coach
There was an article today in the CM which suggested that Bennett has said Millford will play 6. Hunt and Millford have also been selected as the halves pairing for the PM's XI match which is great to give them a headstart on getting their combo up to speed.

Also mentioned that Thaiday will now only play second row, and also that he may get the captaincy back.
Happy to see him back on the right edge but Parker is the only choice for captain IMO

Latest posts