What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immediate changes from Bennett

TheViking

Juniors
Dodds is not NRL standard in my books.

Garbutt looks like he could be solid enough for the NRL.

Hanannt I think is as good as gone to the Titans. They have lost Bailey, Mini and signed Lachlan Burr from the Dogs and that Robinson. They will be adding someone of quality to the pack. From what Wayne said it sounds like he is gone and Titans would be the only option being on the Coast where he lives.

I doubt very much they can pick up a Matt Scott type prop. Cowboys backrow is solid but not players paid the same Thaiday, Parker, Gillett and Glenn would be.

Packer is not the answer for teams like the Dragons/Knights etc as they need much more then an average NRL prop. Though for the Broncos it could be exactly what they need. A solid enough prop to help McGuire and with the backrow they have it would be a quality pack. Still not up there with the best but none the less better then most.

A pack of Packer, McCullough, McGuire, Glenn, Thaiday, Parker with a bench of Gillett, Garbuttt, Stagg and or Oates and a solid prop? Hala is meh to me though better then Dodds. The 8-16 is pretty solid.

Their backline could be producing some magic with Hodges, Milford and Barba if he ever recovers.

Last edited:

some11

Referee
Pete do you think our current crop of forwards are good enough to perform consistently as a genuine premiership threat?

Look at Penrith this year or the Storm of past years, bunch of nuffies and maybe one guy who can stand out every game.

If Bennett can instill a gameplan based on defence and execution we'll do fine with the forwards we have right now.

Big Pete

Referee
Pete do you think our current crop of forwards are good enough to perform consistently as a genuine premiership threat?

I'm confident.

Plenty of room for improvement and I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of changes over the years but they have a good nucleus.

I'm excited by a couple of the NYC forwards they have coming through and while it'll be a process I can see a few of them making a name for themselves in first grade.

Exciting times ahead and Wayne is making all the right noises so far.

TheViking

Juniors
Look at Penrith this year or the Storm of past years, bunch of nuffies and maybe one guy who can stand out every game.

If Bennett can instill a gameplan based on defence and execution we'll do fine with the forwards we have right now.

I wouldn't compare the Panthers pack. Nor Storms.

Storms was capable of this because they had the best spine in the league. By far for several years. Bromwich is a better prop then at most clubs. Hoffman a quality backrower etc. Though Smith, Cronk, Slater are a huge cover for them. With Broncos spine it would not work.

With Panthers, I don't consider them a bunch of nuffies at all. They have in my opinion the 2nd or 3rd best hooker in the game. They have quality props in McKendry, Plum (Grant moving on now) even Kite is solid enough.

Quality players in Peachey, Brown, Taylor heck even Manu.

Solid enough players like Docker, Robinson, Latimore and the other bloke who has played a bit of 5/8 I forget his name?

They are a very very good mix of size, skill, speed, strength etc.

The Broncos backrow on paper are much better. In the props its a no contest to the Panthers. I'd also say the hooker is substantially better.

If the Broncos can sign Packer and if Gartlett can improve consistently I think they could have a better pack then Panthers.

Dazzat

First Grade
I thought Packer had been signed by St George?

If Hannant is gone to the Gold Coast, then we are in trouble. I think every club needs at least one hard head, experienced front rower. If Hannant goes, Mason would be a good pickup.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I'm confident.

Plenty of room for improvement and I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of changes over the years but they have a good nucleus.

I'm excited by a couple of the NYC forwards they have coming through and while it'll be a process I can see a few of them making a name for themselves in first grade.

Exciting times ahead and Wayne is making all the right noises so far.

I like your optimism BP, but can't say I completely agree regarding our NYC guys coming through.

I haven't seen alot of Molo. I've been highly impressed with Joe, but it seems his best asset is he has a really big motor. I don't think at NRL level he will be bending the line too much, reminds me probably of Josh McGuire, but we don't need another one of him. I think Adams is overrated.

We don't have a really excellent prospect coming through like Lodge, and I think we will see another one in Warriors prop Sam Lisone.

I really think Fai is our best prospect. He is only 17 but when he comes on you know he is on. Still a fair way down the track for him because he is so young.

TheViking

Juniors
I thought Packer had been signed by St George?

If Hannant is gone to the Gold Coast, then we are in trouble. I think every club needs at least one hard head, experienced front rower. If Hannant goes, Mason would be a good pickup.

No way Mason will head to Broncos.

Can't see him leaving NSW again.

Big Pete

Referee
Fai is one of the prospects I'm excited about, as is Collins and Hipgrave.

I'd like to see how Ofahengaue and Arrow go after a full pre-season. I'm a big fan of Lisone but worth pointing out he has a whole year on Ofahengaue - that's huge at NYC level.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
BRISBANE’S forward pack in Sunday’s under-20 grand final against the Warriors will pack almost as much bulk as the NRL side that featured Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker and Matt Gillett.
With Joe Ofahengaue tipping the scales at 112kg alongside fellow front-rower Aaron Rockley at 106kg, Brisbane’s youth team have won the unofficial weigh-in for the grand final, with seven players over 100kg compared to three for the Warriors.
Brisbane’s starting pack of Ofahengaue, Rockley, Brett Greinke (103kg), Brendon McBryde (94kg) and Jai Arrow (95kg) has a combined weight of 510kg, which is just 11kg less than the senior Broncos side of Thaiday (110kg), Parker (102kg), Gillett (101kg), Alex Glenn (102kg) and Josh McGuire (106kg) that lost to North Queensland in the NRL elimination final three weeks ago.
LINK Has something to work with.

Dazzat

First Grade
You'd have to say though that the Brisbane pack this year would be one of, if the not the most lightest in the competition. But that didn't stop Griffin trying to play a power game up the middle (sorry last rant against Griffin).

Lots of conflicting views of the Under 20s forward. I'll be watching the game on Sunday with interest.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
one of bennetts first changes should be f**king off those terrible bluddy jerseys. one of our all time worst.

Kiwi

First Grade
Wayne good sir... forget Boyd, three words... Kodi f**king Nikorima

How good is this kid.

Big Pete

Referee
They had the jitters today the NYC boys. Only completed 60% of their sets in the first half and just allowed the Warriors to put on a score. I called the Warriors the pool-sharks of the finals as they basically loaded the team up with two players who predominately played NSW Cup all year and only played 5 games (Kata) and 2 games (Lolohea). I reckon they caught a lot of teams off-guard and we weren't any different.

Still, the boys showed plenty of heart out there. Still plenty to work on but there's some good raw talent there.

Jayden Nikorima was the pick of the bunch IMO.

Latest posts