What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immediate changes from Bennett

Snappy

Coach
I think for team solidity we need to offload Barba and Hoffman & sign Boyd. Bennett needs to start on a succession plan for hodges starting in 2016. For next year we could finnish top 4 with:

1. Boyd
2. Kahu
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Hoffman
6. Milford
7. Hunt
9. McCullouch

Barba just doesn't fit into this team anywhere & I think broncos will work hard to offload him between now and march next year.

Simple option for life after Hodges is to bring back Gagai, and in pretty sure I heard that he wants to come back when his Knights contract is finished.

and Also I'd have Vidot on a wing over Kahu. His metres are extremely valuable.

Last edited:

Maroon4life

Juniors
Yeah you're right i forgot Vidot, he does take Kahu's place.

I don't really think forwards are our concern, with Milford, Hunt, Copely, Vidot & hunt we have a really good bunch of young talented players ion our backline.

Forwards are where the big changes need to be made and I'm sure Bennett knows it, how can we challenge for the premiership against the likes of Souths, Roosters & Cowboys & Bulldogs to name a few when we have this powderpuff group of forwards?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
If Garbutt can live up to the hype, and Hannant regains form under Bennett, we should have a solid pack. McGuire showed glimpses of what he can be this year, and Kennedy can either perform to his size potential or piss off to ISC.

Thaiday will need an almighty kick up the arse in the second row, and Gillett needs a hand/foot transplant. But the elements are all there - at least 3 props capable of bending the line and some real talent in the second row.

Pending trial form I'd like to see the following:

8 - Hannant
9 - McC
10 - McG
11 - Gillett
12 - Thaiday
13 - Parker

14 - Glenn
15 - Oates
16 - Kennedy
17 - Garbutt

That's a pretty big bench, but Macca has shown he's capable of playing 80 minutes, and if we keep Barba with every other fullback in the league coming then he can play off the bench and the slowest powderpuff can drop off into ISC.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Yep,

I reckon Barba will be sold off, Gold Coast seems logical choice, fits the close to family ticket, and Zillman is crap.

Milford will be Thurstons long term replacement for QLD, has been eased in via fullback, but was a half for QLD.

And as I said in another thread, Ben Hunt might get the captaincy.

AceAv

Juniors
"I don't really think forwards are our concern" "Forwards are where the big changes need to be made"

I think you might have missed typed something there M4L ;).

Was speaking to my mate about this too; We really need to sign a big gun and retain Hannant to ensure we are up there with souths/dogs and the other teams. Hoping Hala can really build his bench impact because he would have 3 big hit ups that looked so promising and then dissapear. We need at least 10 from him!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Just looked at the PM XIII

6. Milford
7. Hunt

Wonder if Benny spoke to Laurie....

pinkmoon

Juniors
The big problem seems to be Barba, because the money he is on at Brisbane is not what other clubs are willing to pay anymore given his form this season, making it that much harder for Brisbane to offload him. Barba is well within his rights to stay unless the Broncos are willing to compensate him and pay the variance in his new contract at another club.

AceAv

Juniors
I'm happy for Barba to stick around and even get some form back in the qld cup if we have the players to fill his role.

If we have a good enough forward pack also, we can have him in the 17 as a utility where someone else mentioned he would shine. Be interesting to see where he ends up, but I think we have to accept he is a Bronco and try and be excited about what he CAN do, because he was an incredible player for a good time once...

Dazzat

First Grade
I'm happy for Barba to stick around and even get some form back in the qld cup if we have the players to fill his role.

If we have a good enough forward pack also, we can have him in the 17 as a utility where someone else mentioned he would shine. Be interesting to see where he ends up, but I think we have to accept he is a Bronco and try and be excited about what he CAN do, because he was an incredible player for a good time once...

Good call. Maybe, just maybe, Bennett can get the best out of him again. The first thing is to make sure there's no double standards. If Barba doesn't perform - off to Queensland Cup.

Maroon4life

Juniors
"I don't really think forwards are our concern" "Forwards are where the big changes need to be made"

I think you might have missed typed something there M4L ;).

Was speaking to my mate about this too; We really need to sign a big gun and retain Hannant to ensure we are up there with souths/dogs and the other teams. Hoping Hala can really build his bench impact because he would have 3 big hit ups that looked so promising and then dissapear. We need at least 10 from him!

Ya bit of a fail there from me. But you got my intended point so all sorted.

I honestly don't see us competing for the trophy next year based on our forwards, when I look at what were up against we honestly don't measure up. I'm really looking forward to see what Bennett has planned for us in that department.

Backs wise I'm really happy were shopping Hoffman around, he needs to go, if Bennett can find Barba another home we got a good year next year and a real contention in 2016 for what could possibly be Hodges swansong.

gUt

Coach
I agree re: forwards and imo it's been that way for a long time, basically since we brought Civo and Webcke thru. How is it the Dogs are able to bring young talent like Klemmer, Jackson and Kasiano thru, on top of buying the likes of Tolman, Graham and Williams, yet our best hope for a prop is the semi-broken Hannant?

Big Pete

Referee
As I've said before, I don't believe the Broncos have to make too many drastic changes in the forwards. As individuals, they have plenty of talent there, the problem is they're not as good at working together as other teams. Whether one of them needs to be replaced by a bigger body player is yet to be determined but I like the whispers that Wayne is planning to make Sam Thaiday a permanent edge forward as I believe that's where he plays his best football.

I'm a big admirer of the forwards we have coming through and wonder what sort of impact Wayne will have on the likes of Oates, Molo & Adams. The latter especially seems to be hitting form at just the right time and word going around is that Wayne sees a lot of potential in him.

Maroon4life

Juniors
As I've said before, I don't believe the Broncos have to make too many drastic changes in the forwards. As individuals, they have plenty of talent there, the problem is they're not as good at working together as other teams. Whether one of them needs to be replaced by a bigger body player is yet to be determined but I like the whispers that Wayne is planning to make Sam Thaiday a permanent edge forward as I believe that's where he plays his best football.

I'm a big admirer of the forwards we have coming through and wonder what sort of impact Wayne will have on the likes of Oates, Molo & Adams. The latter especially seems to be hitting form at just the right time and word going around is that Wayne sees a lot of potential in him.

Pete do you think our current crop of forwards are good enough to perform consistently as a genuine premiership threat?

TheViking

Juniors
Pete do you think our current crop of forwards are good enough to perform consistently as a genuine premiership threat?

I think Broncos problem is props.

If McGuire leaves they are in real trouble.

Hannant is likely gone.

Kennedy is below average.

Hala is ok for a few minutes of impact though nothing amazing.

Parker isn't a prop and he has offloading ability though not enough size to bend the line back constantly.

Thaiday, Parker, Glenn, Gillett all quality backrowers. Though no real quality props to back up McGuire.

Maroon4life

Juniors
I think Broncos problem is props.

If McGuire leaves they are in real trouble.

Hannant is likely gone.

Kennedy is below average.

Hala is ok for a few minutes of impact though nothing amazing.

Parker isn't a prop and he has offloading ability though not enough size to bend the line back constantly.

Thaiday, Parker, Glenn, Gillett all quality backrowers. Though no real quality props to back up McGuire.

I agree with you, we have the qld/kangaroos back row - problem is there are other teams with the same quality backrowers and props to go with it. McGuire is good, but he's nowhere near ready to carry this team the way Matt Scott does. That's why i said I'm eager to see what Bennett has planned for this forward pack, if we can unleash some talent (or buy some) we are genuine chance for 2016.

Snappy

Coach
This is the reason Bennett is trying to get Packer. If we can get our props sorted, we'd be looking pretty good. I want to see Parker back playing lock and Sam on the right edge fulltime.

Maroon4life

Juniors
This is the reason Bennett is trying to get Packer. If we can get our props sorted, we'd be looking pretty good. I want to see Parker back playing lock and Sam on the right edge fulltime.

Even though he almost killed a bloke I'd like to see him play for us. This is a business and we've seen other teams recruit players for poor offield behavior as well. no f**ks given, lets get him.

gUt

Coach
I rate McGuire but he's not big enough without someone else like a Fifita/Kasiano/Matulino... even Ashton Sims to get our quick play the balls going and to slow the other side down.

Dazzat

First Grade
If Hala can remain injury free for a season, he may get some momentum and improve his cardio so he can play longer minutes. He's obviously strong (holding the club's bench press record), and has shown some promising signs.

Let's not forget Mitchell Dodds either. He is a quality player in my opinion and could develop into one of the hardest hitters in the game - again if he can remain injury free.

Mitch Garbutt is an amazing young talent, and its timely he arrives at the club at the same time as Bennett.

Hannant fell off this year because basically he was shafted by Griffin. If he stays at the club (and again stays injury free), I think you'll see a big improvement in his game as well.

I don't things are as dire in our front row as they appear. Let's not forget Bennett's great history of developing (and coaching) champion front rowers - possibly a record second to none when you consider Lazarus, Webcke, and Civ - the three best front rowers of the modern era.

Latest posts