What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Impact of Corona shutdowns on Future NRL expansion..

tri_colours

Juniors
I agree, though with Vladys now at the helm there was zero chance anyway. Any potential Expansion should be seen like any other investment by the NRL. Will an extra Brisbane team or two new teams and a ninth game bring in more revenue than it ultimately costs? If the answer is yes. Then it makes even more sense to do it sooner rather than later. I learnt a long time ago nrl isn’t about growing the game, it’s about growing its revenue.

How exactly did you learn that PR? They've only been for around 8 years.

The ARL introduced almost a dozen new teams in the thirty years prior to being bush wacked by News LTD.

MugaB

Coach
How exactly did you learn that PR? They've only been for around 8 years.

The ARL introduced almost a dozen new teams in the thirty years prior to being bush wacked by News LTD.
Yes 2 clubs in 1982, 3 in 1988, 4 in 1995, We should have been upto introducing new 8 teams by 2023 by those calculations

taipan

Referee
with the board/commission and ceo. Like most companies.

Correct>But it doesn't dissolve Gallop ( being there longer than anyone else) from the major critique for the code's lack of assets.Something you continue to ignore.
Nor I might add,the readiness of the Reds(the new kid on the block) to jump onto the SL bandwaggon.
Everyone should take a good hard look at their past decisions.No one can hold their heads up high.
All these decisions led to where we are financially today.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Correct>But it doesn't dissolve Gallop ( being there longer than anyone else) from the major critique for the code's lack of assets.Something you continue to ignore.
Nor I might add,the readiness of the Reds(the new kid on the block) to jump onto the SL bandwaggon.
Everyone should take a good hard look at their past decisions.No one can hold their heads up high.
All these decisions led to where we are financially today.

lol
I keep agreeing with you and you keep arguing the point. Galllop was sht and the games ownership during his reign was.terrible.
Smith made some errors in not understanding league can’t be run like you would a normal business, Greenberg has had more money at his disposal than any ceo in the games history and not achieved much. Clubs spend beyond their means and players want more more more. And let’s not forget the fans who refuse become members or get off their sofas to go to games. Plenty of blame to share around in our great game.

taipan

Referee
lol
I keep agreeing with you and you keep arguing the point. Galllop was sht and the games ownership during his reign was.terrible.
Smith made some errors in not understanding league can’t be run like you would a normal business, Greenberg has had more money at his disposal than any ceo in the games history and not achieved much. Clubs spend beyond their means and players want more more more. And let’s not forget the fans who refuse become members or get off their sofas to go to games. Plenty of blame to share around in our great game.

LOL.No you don't you have never accepted Red's contribution when they went to SL.You still are unable to accept the fact Gallop ran the show for 11 years ,almost half the NRL's history.The bulk of the period where a Future's fund should have been in place.
Moffatt was useless,Smith had potential but was out of his depth re understanding the media industry in this country.He liked the high life also.
Grant was also easily led by the clubs, and a waster.Greenberg was on half Smith's money and was a learner ,but at least for a couple of years they NRL made money.

You don't have to lecture me about greedy wasteful clubs.The Sharks wasted large sums on getting rid of coaches before contract was up, and the Dank's issue and salary cap.Other clubs had issues.

The last line you are just repeating what I stated about everyone sharing the blame.I'll sue you for copyright.

Perth Red

Post Whore
LOL.No you don't you have never accepted Red's contribution when they went to SL.You still are unable to accept the fact Gallop ran the show for 11 years ,almost half the NRL's history.The bulk of the period where a Future's fund should have been in place.
Moffatt was useless,Smith had potential but was out of his depth re understanding the media industry in this country.He liked the high life also.
Grant was also easily led by the clubs, and a waster.Greenberg was on half Smith's money and was a learner ,but at least for a couple of years they NRL made money.

You don't have to lecture me about greedy wasteful clubs.The Sharks wasted large sums on getting rid of coaches before contract was up, and the Dank's issue and salary cap.Other clubs had issues.

The last line you are just repeating what I stated about everyone sharing the blame.I'll sue you for copyright.

Like the sharks Reds had no choice. The ARL had screwed their financial plan by bringing in U20’s and making Reds pay for yet another 25 flights and accomodation. It that old news and nothing to do with today’s situation which is why after receiving over $2.5 billion in revenue in the last 7 years nrl has no assets or cash reserves to speak of.

back to the topic, either nothing will change, most likely, or some clubs will burn and the nrl will have the opportunity to reimagine what the top tier of the sport should look like moving forward.

taipan

Referee
Like the sharks Reds had no choice. The ARL had screwed their financial plan by bringing in U20’s and making Reds pay for yet another 25 flights and accomodation. It that old news and nothing to do with today’s situation which is why after receiving over $2.5 billion in revenue in the last 7 years nrl has no assets or cash reserves to speak of.

back to the topic, either nothing will change, most likely, or some clubs will burn and the nrl will have the opportunity to reimagine what the top tier of the sport should look like moving forward.

The Reds did have a choice.They were new to the comp, still wet behind the ears.the Sharks were ATT in deep financial poo and knew the ARL had them in their sights, for a planned for their relocation /joint venture down the line.
Rubbish.Whether its old news or not, the foundation for getting the code to have assets should have been laid then in 1995.If we'd have built up a future fund of $4-500m we wouldn't be panicking now ,about the code's corona survival.
If the code ends up using up their cash and some clubs are in deep sh*t,of course there will be change.One word RATIONALISATION..

tri_colours

Juniors
with the board/commission and ceo. Like most companies.

The competition was run by News Ltd in that time. The NRL were only there to provide the networks with programming. Gallop was nothing more than a News LTD yes man. who previously worked for them as a lawyer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Reds did have a choice.They were new to the comp, still wet behind the ears.the Sharks were ATT in deep financial poo and knew the ARL had them in their sights, for a planned for their relocation /joint venture down the line.
Rubbish.Whether its old news or not, the foundation for getting the code to have assets should have been laid then in 1995.If we'd have built up a future fund of $4-500m we wouldn't be panicking now ,about the code's corona survival.
If the code ends up using up their cash and some clubs are in deep sh*t,of course there will be change.One word RATIONALISATION..

Not to go over old ground but from the horses mouth they didn't have a choice. They had financially planned for 1st team and reserves travel and accommodation. Adding an additional team (at a time when interstate travel was three times what it is today) put them into an unsustainable position which they knew before they kicked a ball. News took advantage of a situation the ARL had created.
How could we build an asset base from 1998-2012 when the game was being run on an oily rag due to conflicted ownership screwing our TV deals and we had CEO's not fit for purpose?
Since 2013-2019 we have had $2.69billion revenue and independent ownership. That is where the real problem lies. The Commission have been an abject failure in setting financial strategy.

flippikat

Bench
There's a fair amount of articles/rumours/speculation tonight that some current NRL clubs may drop out of the competition, or simply go out of business due to the Covid-19 suspension of the NRL.

To be honest, I think the NRL will bend over backwards to preserve the current club lineup "as is", but if that's utterly untenable would broadcasters hold the NRL to a 16 team competition & force them to expand to preserve the competition size?

Knowing how things go, they'll probably promote North Sydney to replace the Bulldogs or something..

blue bags

First Grade
There's a fair amount of articles/rumours/speculation tonight that some current NRL clubs may drop out of the competition, or simply go out of business due to the Covid-19 suspension of the NRL.

To be honest, I think the NRL will bend over backwards to preserve the current club lineup "as is", but if that's utterly untenable would broadcasters hold the NRL to a 16 team competition & force them to expand to preserve the competition size?

Knowing how things go, they'll probably promote North Sydney to replace the Bulldogs or something..
your dreaming buddy

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

My read (probably being hopeful) is that Vlad is saying all the right things now "we are a family, we will do whatever we can for our clubs", so he has cover later once they start falling over and getting moved "this isnt what we wanted, but there is nothing we can do"....

The ARLC will never have a better time than now to shape the comp going forward. You cannot just wait for the good time, real change happens when everything is going to hell.

The clubs took advantage of a weak ARL/NRL after SL and we have ended up here. I have no simpathy for the clubs if the ARLC return the favour...

Perth Red

Post Whore
You’ve got Greenberg who is super conservative and by his own admission no visionary and Vlandys who thinks suburban grounds are the games future. No way we are going to see anything radical.