What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam

Generalzod

Immortal
I was at boarding school 1989-1994. While Doug was on Triple M (then his tv show), it was compulsive listening. Literally every radio tuned in, blaring away and laughter all around.
He was so cheeky, with all that innuendo. Of that era of Kenny Everett and The Goodies etc, just a hoot. Even yesterday the Ms were playing old recordings and I literally thought they could replay ten years of Mulray instead of Molloy and MG and they’d do better.
Don't forget Club Veg was great as well, I remember listrening to them on 2SM in 1987 they had a comedy sketch at the time called Chuck and Randy, before they moved to Triple (M) doing the night program.

Last edited:
Ian Bairnson - guitarist with Pilot and Alan Parsons Project has passed away at 69.

Magic is up there as one of my fave tracks, and I’m particularly fond of Don’t Answer Me by APP.

Al Jaffee.
The creator of the MAD Magazine Fold In, writer of Snappy Answers To Stupid Questions and one of MAD’s greatest artists and writers with 60 years of contributions, has sadly passed away aged 102.

As a kid in the 1980s, I grew up with MAD magazine, buying current issues, super specials and books as well as going to 2nd hand shops and flea markets to buy older issues. Even in the 90s I was still buying issues. I fell away in the early 2000s as the older members of MAD contributors passed away in their 80s.
However, I have a boxful always beside my bed and remain grateful to MAD for giving me a great sense of satirical humour and cynicism at politics, Hollywood and popular culture.

Al Jaffee was a genius. The world is poorer for his passing. The Usual Gang of (Heavenly) Idiots have just got a good one.

C63DF813-E604-4964-9DFC-D83C2E0C0565.jpeg

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Al Jaffee.
The creator of the MAD Magazine Fold In, writer of Snappy Answers To Stupid Questions and one of MAD’s greatest artists and writers with 60 years of contributions, has sadly passed away aged 102.

As a kid in the 1980s, I grew up with MAD magazine, buying current issues, super specials and books as well as going to 2nd hand shops and flea markets to buy older issues. Even in the 90s I was still buying issues. I fell away in the early 2000s as the older members of MAD contributors passed away in their 80s.
However, I have a boxful always beside my bed and remain grateful to MAD for giving me a great sense of satirical humour and cynicism at politics, Hollywood and popular culture.

Al Jaffee was a genius. The world is poorer for his passing. The Usual Gang of (Heavenly) Idiots have just got a good one.

View attachment 72503
Bloody good innings. I still remember getting my first MAD Magazine, laughed like an idiot for hours. I've still got a box of them somewhere. Pretty much every issue from about 82 to 89.

Nuke

Staff member
January played on my IPOD at work today, the first time in ages, classic song, just like Magic.
I'm very happy to see that I'm not the only one still using an iPod. I love that little thing. I'll be devo the day it inevitably dies, given they don't make them anymore.

And since we're in the 'In Memoriam' pages, I'll add 'the iPod' to it too. :p

horrie hastings

First Grade
I'm very happy to see that I'm not the only one still using an iPod. I love that little thing. I'll be devo the day it inevitably dies, given they don't make them anymore.

And since we're in the 'In Memoriam' pages, I'll add 'the iPod' to it too. :p

Yes i would be lost without mine, i have so many different remixes of songs that just aren't available on any of the music providers like Spotify. God knows what will happen when mine dies.

Nuke

Staff member
Yes i would be lost without mine, i have so many different remixes of songs that just aren't available on any of the music providers like Spotify. God knows what will happen when mine dies.
Likewise. All my music on my iPod is in mp3s on my computer, so I won't lose anything except the playlists I've constructed, but the convenience and simplicity of the iPod's system for just playing music will be the hardest thing to replace. I'm an Android phone user, so although I'm sure the iPhones probably have the same music setup as iPods, it's not accessible to me ... and I don't particularly wish to spend $1,200+ on an iPhone just to replicate the iPod and little else!

horrie hastings

First Grade
Likewise. All my music on my iPod is in mp3s on my computer, so I won't lose anything except the playlists I've constructed, but the convenience and simplicity of the iPod's system for just playing music will be the hardest thing to replace. I'm an Android phone user, so although I'm sure the iPhones probably have the same music setup as iPods, it's not accessible to me ... and I don't particularly wish to spend $1,200+ on an iPhone just to replicate the iPod and little else!

Exactly same here, its all on computer so wont lose anything but the convenience of the playlist at my finger tips. Also an android phone user. Do need to work something out as i'm sure the IPOD will die on me some day.

Nuke

Staff member
Exactly same here, its all on computer so wont lose anything but the convenience of the playlist at my finger tips. Also an android phone user. Do need to work something out as i'm sure the IPOD will die on me some day.
I've found an app called AIMP which, so far, is the closest I've come across.

nöyd

Staff member
Not the type of comedy I usually gravitate toward but never had a problem with the guy. Wasn't until I was in my late teens that I finally figured out she was a he lol

RIP Barry Humphries

Dame Edna’s skewering of suburbanite life - esp in the 70s - was perfect. S/he got away with sooooo much with the wit, innuendo and double entendres. Funnily it didn’t date either whereas Benny Hill, Some Mother’s Do Ave Em, type comedy did. Edna became not only an institution, a cultural and national icon but almost part of the family.
I knew a fair few older blokes of my grandfathers era (born in the 1920s) who wouldn’t have a bar of flamboyance, loved Dame Edna. Lol.