What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injunction granted against Sonny Bill

Shorty

Staff member
^Yeah I agree I think I would be unsettled to the fact that I would have to avoid the country I had grown up in and had many friends and family.
As well as blocking my goals for the future.

Plumplechook

Juniors
Latest from Sky News....

International sports lawyers weigh into the debate! This one is going to run and run and run...................

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/article.aspx?id=256541

Injuction for Sonny

Updated: 15:34, Friday August 8, 2008

A Sydney court has today granted an injunction against NRL Bulldogs Sonny Bill Williams, to stop the runaway football star playing rugby union in France.
The NRL and Canterbury Bulldogs could face months of legal wrangling in France in their attempt to stop Williams playing rugby union there.
International sports law experts say while the French are likely to take today's Australian-issued injunction seriously, they will have to be convinced that they should enforce the order on their home soil.
Williams also faces the prospect of being sued if he ignores the injunction and plays with his new Top 14 rugby club Toulon in the south of France in line with the one-year contract he recently signed.
One London-based international sports lawyer, who asked not to be named, said it was possible to have the injunction enforced based on a series of complex global treaties.
However it is unlikely to be a speedy process, with the French courts possibly even wanting to retry the case before making a decision.
'The rules relating to that are really complicated and require a court in France to enforce a judgment in Sydney will have to go through loads of hoops to make sure that works,' the lawyer told AAP.
'The Australians will find it quite difficult to get an injunction and stop him playing in France this weekend.
'It's complicated and will be quite difficult to do.'
The Australian-based legal firm Gadens Lawyers also believes there is a chance the French courts could reject the injunction.
'The French courts may take the view that enforcing the injunction would be against French public policy as it prevents a person from carrying on their trade,' the firm said in an overview of the case published on its website.
Before the NSW Supreme Court ruling today, Williams' new club was playing down the effect any injunction would have on their new star recruit.
'His contract is not contestable,' Nicolas Pironneau, the club's talent scout who helped lure Williams to the south of France, told local newspaper Var-Matin.
'He is as free to play rugby and at RCT (Rugby Club Toulon) as he is to come from football or pole vaulting.'
But Williams does face the prospect of being sued if he ignores the injunction and returns to Australia at any time in the future.
'My instinct is if he flouts the injunction and sets foot in Australia he will probably be a wanted man and sought for contempt of court for ignoring the judgment,' another sports lawyer said.

blingblang

Juniors
I don't think Sonny really cares about making the All Blacks tbh.
He obviously has no sense of national pride, or he would not have abandoned his country on the eve of the World Cup.
It appears that behind every bizarre rant and rave this guy spews out, is a simple factor; money. Reports say he has signed for $1 million per season. I am sure that, combined with flash accomodation, all kinds of extra benefits, and dozens of gorgeous french wh*res, will be more than enoughto keep this lowlife worm happy for the next decade or so.
I will be amazed if he ever returns to Australia or New Zealand.

That farcical tournament :lol: He must be relieved that he doesnt have to play in it.

Oh and Welly Hitman you should be ashamed of yourself

332334.jpg

hitman82

Bench
I'd rather play in a lower quality tournament than a lower quality code :)
And SWW won't be getting anywhere near the Bore Blacks so I don't really see the your point

[furrycat]

Coach
Wheres mik01 now... saying no injunction would be granted blah blah blah France wouldn't enforce it blah blah blah :roll:

blingblang

Juniors
I'd rather play in a lower quality tournament than a lower quality code :)
And SWW won't be getting anywhere near the Bore Blacks so I don't really see the your point

It makes it hard for League to have quality players seeing so few people play it compared to rugby and the few good players it does actually manage to produce all go to rugby these days as they know where their bread is buttered better. Get used to RL being a development league for rugby.

if he plays is it contempt of court?

does that mean maybe jail time?

sure the french club might ignore it but can he be extradited.

and surely the FFR and IRB cant allow a convicted felon to play the game if SBW is convicted of contempt of court.

hope they go after khodar next.

hitman82

Bench
I actually couldn't care less that SWW has left for union - all I am p*ssed off about is that a player I once respected did it in such a cowardly lowlife manner, and then tried to lie about his reasons.

The guy has 0 credibility and 0 mana, and I am glad he will rot away in some obscure competition full of has-been imports and French twinkies.

If you like the idea of your eats code welcoming scumbag mercenaries with rocks where their brains should be, then all the power to you haha.

There are countless quality youngsters coming into the rugby league spotlight every season, and SWW will be forgotten in no time. Talk of us being nothing but a breeding ground for yawnion clubs is so geniused it's not even funny.

How is domestic yawnion going btw?

[furrycat]

Coach
if he plays is it contempt of court?

does that mean maybe jail time?

sure the french club might ignore it but can he be extradited.

and surely the FFR and IRB cant allow a convicted felon to play the game if SBW is convicted of contempt of court.

hope they go after khodar next.

Australia needs to convince France as to why they should ensure the injunction is enforced. They may actually choose to retry the decision in their courts before deciding if the injunction stands in their country. Its based on a bunch of special treaties and won't be a quick process, but if SBW plays hes taking a huge risk if it all goes wrong

CharlieF

Juniors
Because if they let him go and be done with it then other players will do something very similar.
Put him thru all this BS and it will make other players think twice.
Plus, the lawyers need the cash

Don't know if they need it, but they certainly won't say no.

x_game_x

Juniors
so if he can retire, why doesnt he just do that and move on which means any injunctions etc become void?

Shorty

Staff member
^Because he still signed a contract and walked out on it.
That's the issue here.

[furrycat];4446251 said:
Australia needs to convince France as to why they should ensure the injunction is enforced. They may actually choose to retry the decision in their courts before deciding if the injunction stands in their country. Its based on a bunch of special treaties and won't be a quick process, but if SBW plays hes taking a huge risk if it all goes wrong

thats to get the courts to enforce the injunciton

the minute he breaks the australian injunection he could face extradition as he is in contempt of court

x_game_x

Juniors
Thats a moral and ethical issue. In reagrds to a legal view point if he retires would he still be liable to fulfil his contract?

Thats a moral and ethical issue. In reagrds to a legal view point if he retires would he still be liable to fulfil his contract?

If he retired from RL thats fine but would still be bound by the content of his contract. This I suggest would prevent him from taking up another football code without the express aproval of those holding the contract until the expiry of the contract. Therefore nothing changes

Latest posts