What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injunction granted against Sonny Bill

CharlieF

Juniors
My understanding is that the players union did sign off on the salary cap as part of the collective bargaining agreement with the NRL.

You are 100% certain on this??

If so, then the salary cap is almost legal. Individuals can still challenge it, but it would be hard.

Loudstrat

Coach
The court action was essential to uphold the sanctity of contracts. Will be interesting to see if Toloun gets sued for knowingly signing a contract with a party that had a contract elsewhere.

I see a pattern emerging.
1) The NRL and Dogs take him to court, and get an injunction, knowing that if he breaks it - he's in contempt of court and liable for a prison sentence upon re entering Australia. Which he must do - isn't his family here? Also you'd think it would be a prerequisite for representing the bore blacks.

2) The NRL say he's welcome to come back.

3) The Dogs keep paying him as per the contract

4) The Kiwis selected him in their world cup squad

So, I'm guessing a big motivation is to see him represent NZ in the WC. And League now has him over a barrell, in that the ONLY way he can enter Australia (if he plays for Toloun) will be to enter under League's terms.

UNless he can enter Australia, he can't compete in ANY international sport.

My guess - he'll eventually return, play for NZ in the world cup, and then be relesed from his Dogs contract and play Yawnion for ever. When they finally talk, I think that's the deal that will be done.

Loudstrat

Coach

If so, then the salary cap is almost legal. Individuals can still challenge it, but it would be hard.

Rather than challenge the salary cap -why not just play for Wigan, Leeds, St Helens etc?

ibeme

First Grade
If you guys think that when a salary cap challenge is at hand and that the players association will not back it, then you are delusional.

If the union or players association hasn't agreed to it, how can it be forced on an employee. I thought we just voted out a government on those same arguements. You can't pick and choose who to give those rights to.

My opinion only.

The players association would have challenged the salary cap long before now if they were opposed to it. They haven't because they recognise that it's vital for the game's success, and therefore their success. Players aren't forced to sign contracts. They do so of their own free will. The option is always there to go to French RU when they're contract is finished. Most choose to sign a new NRL contract.

PJ

First Grade

In December last year, Bulldogs players unanimously endorsed the latest collective bargaining agreement.
The award contains a clause which states: "The NRL and the RLPA recognise the importance of a salary cap and acknowledge that the salary cap limits, in a reasonable way, the remuneration that may be paid by, or on behalf of, any one NRL club to its players".

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24099628-23214,00.html

Yngwie_70

Juniors
Why did we not care when Brian Carney signed for the Gold Coast, then retired claiming he wanted to study and then signed to play Rugby Union? Why is Sonny Bill the scape goat when WIllie Mason walked out on his contract? The Bulldogs let him go but why did they not extend this attitude towards SBW.

Get over it. He doesnt want to play for the Bulldogs. Find someone else to pick on.

The Tank

Bench
Why did we not care when Brian Carney signed for the Gold Coast, then retired claiming he wanted to study and then signed to play Rugby Union? Why is Sonny Bill the scape goat when WIllie Mason walked out on his contract? The Bulldogs let him go but why did they not extend this attitude towards SBW.

Get over it. He doesnt want to play for the Bulldogs. Find someone else to pick on.

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure the Titans released him and allowed him to play union.

[furrycat]

Coach

Er... because he went to the club and ASKED FOR A RELEASE... he didnt just walk off.

Next.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
France3 are annoucing that SBW will not take part in tonight's friendly between Toulon and neighbour Hyères, although they don't name a source.

In other news, a fire has broken out in a chip factory in Marseille. :crazy:

[furrycat]

Coach
France3 are annoucing that SBW will not take part in tonight's friendly between Toulon and neighbour Hyères, although they don't name a source.

In other news, a fire has broken out in a chip factory in Marseille. :crazy:

homg please dont tell me its the chip factory I was thinking of.

If it is I'll be on the next flight over to steal some of those burnin chips :fist:

Latest posts