What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury update

Watch the video to see how often knees are bent.

It helps them fly through the air and get above an opponent.

It’s is not a conscious decision to hurt someone, utterly absurd.

Dare say we’ve had some AFL types come into rugby league to teach some wingers how to better catch the ball.

Bent knees help you get above an opponent. This is coached in Aussie rules football, not to hurt someone but to help take the mark.
7F304ADB-EF06-473C-8F9A-2FE91C5B0648.jpeg

Attachments

• A40C9183-A907-409B-8684-C04F4EC2B300.jpeg
    A40C9183-A907-409B-8684-C04F4EC2B300.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 0

Luke Bowden

First Grade
By penalising that type of play it makes people overly cautious, hence it will become less physical.

Sam was suspended because he had carry over points. But I don’t think what he did should’ve even be put on report.

No I don’t think he should have even been on report.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
The pads are there to prevent injuries in practice I would’ve thought?

I really doubt your hypothesis that this is designed to hit other players. I’ve never heard a single person intimately involved in the game suggest it.

It’s not a hypothesis, it’s how you are coached to contest the hi ball.

Here is a picture of the pads that I’ve used. It’s designed to recreate the the head and shoulders of a player. You jump up and try and get your knee/s onto that little shelf, which his supposed to be the shoulders.

It’s pretty self explanatory.

upload_2018-4-21_14-23-48.pngupload_2018-4-21_14-23-48.jpeg

It’s not a hypothesis, it’s how you are coached to contest the hi ball.

Here is a picture of the pads that I’ve used. It’s designed to recreate the the head and shoulders of a player. You jump up and try and get your knee/s onto that little shelf, which his supposed to be the shoulders.

It’s pretty self explanatory.

View attachment 19333View attachment 19332

Which helps you get higher to catch the ball.

It isn’t about hurting the opponent.

Abacus

Juniors
Really interesting chat. FWIW, watching the replay because Don was going with the flight of the ball, he had to jump from 1 foot to maintain momentum resulting in leading with the knee. Trying to put that leading leg back down plays havoc with momentum and balance. At least, that's what I found after years of basketball.

Definitely unfortunate that Mansour came off worse for wear and if there was a prevalence of these issues, I'd suggest the NRL do something about it. I see the knee leading being more circumstantial (given where the ball was, where Don was jumping from, etc). I certainly don't think there was any intent, so call it bad luck and move on.

I never said it was about hurting anyone, I said there was the potential for it to happen. 99% of the time, nothing happens.

Just like the forwards running at the line.

Fair point, but I honestly don’t think it’s exclusively a bracing technique. It’s helps to get above your opponent and gives you a better chance of retaining the ball.

tripster

Juniors
Good news. Really want to see Sauce finish well for us before he leaves the bloke loves the club

You’d have to think that if he doesn’t come back until round 20 and if Chricton has had a good season by that point that he won’t be dropped to then bring Mansour back in for the remaining games. Particularly if he doesn’t re-sign with us.

mxlegend99

Referee
You’d have to think that if he doesn’t come back until round 20 and if Chricton has had a good season by that point that he won’t be dropped to then bring Mansour back in for the remaining games. Particularly if he doesn’t re-sign with us.
It's zn awkwardsituation.

Mansour is our best winger. But if both our wingers are doing well then his from before injury means he should have to earn his way back in the team through reserve grade.

Cant drop a guy doing a good job for 3 or 4 months.

Exsilium

First Grade
I wonder if there are any long term issues or concerns with having reconstructive surgery and playing football after such injuries.

Can’t remember who it was but I recall an NRL player broke his cheekbone and then it was reconstructed and plated only to break again.

tripster

Juniors
I just heard on the radio that they have discovered that Mansour apparently also has a fractured eye socket, so the prospect of it being a season ending injury is now much higher.

OldPanther

Coach
I just heard on the radio that they have discovered that Mansour apparently also has a fractured eye socket, so the prospect of it being a season ending injury is now much higher.

That sucks so bad. Thanks for sharing the info.

kinghippo

Juniors
Bent knees help you get above an opponent. This is coached in Aussie rules football, not to hurt someone but to help take the mark.
View attachment 19330
I still disagree a about the knee, I think Don should have been at least put on report.
The Aussie rules guys lift their knees up towards their chest, going vertical most of the time. Dons knee was low and forward, very sloppy and completely different from AFL.
Anyway I wish mansour the best in recovery
https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/cjg0d45a7008g0rqha3ujfcfy/mansour-flattened-by-flying-knee