What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury Updates

emjaycee

Coach
Curious to know why Willie Tonga's injury is taking so long.
Is he taking the mickey or not?

Suity

Last I heard he had back surgery about 8 weeks ago and is still in recovery from that.
Definitely not something you rush back from IMHO.

Suitman

Post Whore
Ok, thanks.

I'd like to earn 300 k's a year for recovering from back surgery.
Anyhow, I must contact the accountant. I've got bills to pay that I can't pay.

Suity

oldmancraigy

Coach
Ok, thanks.

I'd like to earn 300 k's a year for recovering from back surgery.
Anyhow, I must contact the accountant. I've got bills to pay that I can't pay.

Suity

Actually you probably would get that (if it was your salary? If so, Macca's on you at the next game mate). I assume you've got some kind of salary insurance?

Tonga certainly would - the money he's being paid wouldn't be coming from the clubs coffers, good for the bottom line I suppose.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
What's the point of Tonga coming back from this injury?

Isn't he off contract at the end of the year? No point coming back for a handful of games.

Might as well just retire now.

Joely01

Bench
I'd actually take him on for one more year, from a few people I've spoken to at the club he had a massive off season this year and was ready for a big year, if he has the fire in the belly I'd be giving him
one more year.
Next year:
1. Hayne
2. Sio
3. Hopoate
4. Tonga
5. Morgan
With Loko as an impact bench player

Or

1. Hayne
2. Hopoate
3. Loko
4. Tonga
5. Morgan

Either backline would work for me

the_apostle21

Juniors
What's the point of Tonga coming back from this injury?

Isn't he off contract at the end of the year? No point coming back for a handful of games.

Might as well just retire now.

Was he on the list?

He failed under Kearney, but we are yet to see his ability under Ricky. Let him take the field and then we can judge.

Chipmunk

Coach
Actually you probably would get that (if it was your salary? If so, Macca's on you at the next game mate). I assume you've got some kind of salary insurance?

Tonga certainly would - the money he's being paid wouldn't be coming from the clubs coffers, good for the bottom line I suppose.

I dare say the actual payment of the wage isnt the issue, as injured or not his contract money is still in the Salary Cap.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He got injured as soon as we signed him and never seemed to recover. He looked like he was playing on one leg in the 12 games he played last year.

Ryan Morgan was much better.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Na I would offer tonga a small one year contract with decent incentives (these wont count in the cap until the following year if we decide to resigning him). Bit of a gamble but he is due for an injury free year and most likely would be looking for a good year to jag a decent contract the following year (either with another nrl club or England). Would give us some depth/experience and the option of playing loko in the forwards without losing a decent option in the backs. Thought tonga was ok defensively last year in the games we played but yeah attack was crap but really the attack for the whole side was crap.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
At his age and with the amount of injuries he's had there's no way he would accept an incentive based contract.

Unless he can't get anything anywhere else.

Bigfella

Coach
At his age and with the injuries he's had there's no way he'd get anything anywhere else?

I'd like him on that basis.

Hayne
Hoppa
Morgan
Tonga
Loko

Would be such a vast improvement defensively and in attack.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
At his age and with the amount of injuries he's had there's no way he would accept an incentive based contract.

Unless he can't get anything anywhere else.

Do u think any other side will touch him ? The only side I could think off that is desperate for a quality back that may offer him a decent contract, would be the sharks .

I reckon a fit tonga would be a certain starter in an eels 2014 side so if he played most games an incentive based contract wouldnt really cost him much (e,g . $100k sign on, 5-10k a game )

Really I don't think tonga would have much choice but to accept an incentive contract with us if it was offered.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
At his age and with the injuries he's had there's no way he'd get anything anywhere else?

I'd like him on that basis.

Hayne
Hoppa
Morgan
Tonga
Loko

Would be such a vast improvement defensively and in attack.

I would swap hoppa and morgan but yeah that backline is potentially as good as any in the comp. another reason I would like to keep tonga is his experience

Chipmunk

Coach
Do u think any other side will touch him ? The only side I could think off that is desperate for a quality back that may offer him a decent contract, would be the sharks .

I reckon a fit tonga would be a certain starter in an eels 2014 side so if he played most games an incentive based contract wouldnt really cost him much (e,g . $100k sign on, 5-10k a game )

Really I don't think tonga would have much choice but to accept an incentive contract with us if it was offered.

I expect the Sharks to be chasing anything with a heartbeat with NRL experience for both 2014/15