What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interchange: Reduce to 4??

Hiekka

Juniors
What about reducing the interchanges to 4 per team - with the added proviso that once you've gone off you can't come back on.

This would reintroduce the endurance element of the game - and would swing the pendulum back to the smaller men. The current situation where huge battering rams (read Fui Fui, Carl Webb etc) come on for short bursts to run at the small men doesn't seem right - and doesn't help the lingering issue at junior level re mismatch in sizes between the bigger and smaller players.

Thoughts?

innsaneink

Referee
We used to have that, we also used to have a 5 metre rule, the game was very slow then...its now 10m, sometimes 12, the players are bigger, stronger faster and fitter...youd have teams running out of troops. Go to 8, then possibly 6 unlimited

Eelementary

Post Whore
Reducing the number of interchanges also increases the potential risk for injury - if you have forwards playing more minutes than they're used to (granted, they would have trained in the off-season for it, but still), it may induce greater stamina, but it will detract from the physicality of the game (part of Fuifui's effectiveness is the fact that when he's fresh he can run at 100%; when he's tired, he still runs hard but only at 50%), and you may find some players getting injured more easily. Particularly forwards, who do all the hard work.

Ridders

Coach
This whole fascination with drastically reducing interchange is pretty dangerous given the 10 m rule. Anyone who has played league, regardless at what level tbh, can understand how much more a toll the 10 m rule has on you compared to what the old 5 m rule would.

Should be no lower than 6 interchanges, and even then I think its pushing it.

thuggdogg

Juniors
its better to see big guys NFL style who are marvels and physically superior than GARY Larse types who look like baz from the pub.

I am not knocking larsen at all.
id just rather see supermen out there yo.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
its better to see big guys NFL style who are marvels and physically superior than GARY Larse types who look like baz from the pub.

LOL

Try actually watching the NFL. Half the guys on the field couldn't even get back the 10m.

aussies1st

Staff member
Reducing it to 4 would see the end of reserves actually have much game time, it will become like Rugby where the players only get 10-20 minutes.

DeeJ

Bench

I kinda agree with this to a degree. There would be no more big men with 4 interchanges, everyone would have to be lean and built like a center.

nomarg

I kinda agree with this to a degree. There would be no more big men with 4 interchanges, everyone would have to be lean and built like a center.

Lean and like a centre?? have yuo ever watched NFL?

Try slow ,fat, and like a fridge

DeeJ

Bench
Please read my post again. I said if rugby league changed to 4 interchanges, there would be no more big men in the game and the body shape of forwards would change.

And I like seeing the bigger guys and their impact on the field even the fatties.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think 8 should be the lowest we go. We should be looking at other ways of speeding the game up i.e. p*ssing off the video ref.

The product is very good right now and on the best teams the little blokes can already shine. We really don't need to change much if anything.

We should be trying to limit the amount of changes we make to make International league rules more consistent.

stuke

Bench
why have such a huge number like 4. lets go back to the old days of no replacements, unlimited tackles....heck, just for fun lets get rid of the ten metre rule as well and let anyone stand anywhere. that'll bring the fans back!

Chachi

Bench
No way. I think this interchange issue is way overblown. For a start the pendulum does not have to be swung "back to the smaller men"...the 10 metre rule does that in spades. Look who dominates the Dally M's and most clubs POTY awards.

Nobody wants to see a game of touch footy in the last 20 minutes anyway.

Tommy Anderson

Juniors
I would like 4 per half and when a player comes off in the first half they cant go back on until second half.
Basically every bench player used in first half then the 4 players who came off would go back on in the second half

Eels Dude

Coach
why have such a huge number like 4. lets go back to the old days of no replacements, unlimited tackles....heck, just for fun lets get rid of the ten metre rule as well and let anyone stand anywhere. that'll bring the fans back!

Yeah the Union fans. And they can go f**k themselves.

Latest posts