What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Carney ready for Origin?

Carney to threaten Thurston: Smith

North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston has been spruiked as the player to dominate rugby league for the next decade - but a challenger to the lofty title has already surfaced.

Cowboys pivot Jason Smith believes his former Canberra apprentice Todd Carney presents the greatest threat to Thurston's top billing in the coming years.
ADVERTISEMENT

When Andrew Johns retired, the Newcastle halfback immediately ordained Thurston as the man to fill his shoes as the game's best player as Darren Lockyer's career winds down.

Smith is the first to back Johns' call but reckoned five-eighth Carney would soon be among the game's elite.

"There are probably two or three players in that (elite) category but there's a few not that far behind," Smith said.

"I believe JT (Thurston) is (the best player) at the moment but Darren Lockyer can turn a game on its head.

"And I believe Todd is a similar type of player. I believe he can dominate the game in a couple of years with a bit more experience."

Cowboys pivot Smith was texting furiously on Monday night, congratulating his former Canberra teammates after Carney helped hold out a desperate Sydney Roosters in their 37-28 NRL win.

Smith was convinced not only Carney but a number of Raiders would soon don the green and gold.

"I believe Carney, their frontrowers Michael Weyman and Dane Tilse and the fullback William Zillman will definitely be playing for Australia in four or so years," Smith said.

"They are exceptional players."

Smith spent the last two seasons at Canberra grooming Carney who, at 20 years old, has the rugby league world at his feet judging by his command performance against the Roosters.

"I've got a lot of time for Todd. He was asking me a lot of questions (at Canberra)," Smith said.

"Todd is his own player and he was always going to be a good player no matter what I said to him.

"But watching him against the Roosters it was good to see someone I have been involved in play as good as he did."

Smith was recruited to the Cowboys this season to help ease the burden during the representative season, a stint that begins in earnest when North Queensland takes on South Sydney in Townsville on Monday night.

He is expected to ease the pressure on Thurston who will be backing up from Friday night's Anzac Test, which will also feature Kiwi Cowboy David Faiumu.

"JT will be on a bit of a high if the Kiwis lose so it will depend a lot on the result," Smith said.

"But it's certainly a game we are looking forward to because we were pretty disappointed with last weekend (34-14 loss to New Zealand Warriors).

"There is sufficient time to back up, but I will be helping JT as much as I can - hopefully he comes through unscathed."

Meanwhile, centre Ashley Graham (abductor strain) will be given until the last minute to prove his fitness after being named in the Cowboys team.

But former Queensland Maroons flyer Ty Williams is still waiting on his NRL return after being named for feeder club the Young Guns.

Williams' comeback from a knee reconstruction hit a snag last weekend when he twinged a hamstring.

In other news, Cowboys prop Shane Tronc has re-signed until the end of season 2009.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/070103/2/11y12.html

perverse

Referee
emil1989 said:
did gidley not deal with all the broncos team all by himself a couple of yrs ago wen they won by 1 point...is sum1 forgetting that most of the queensland team is from the broncos...gidley is a proven footballer and i personally think he's a 5/8 and not a fullback
but knowing nsw theyll probly pick an idiot out of position like gasnier,timmins and put them at 5/8 (jamie 'overrated' lyon)...the nsw halfback should be orford/gower...actually a name has just hit my hit...did someone forget about ben hornby??

i guess i shouldnt really care eyy...go the mighty maroons!
yeah, gidley showed glimpses of his potential from 5/8th... but far far far more often than not he never quite nailed it from #6. since smith has put him at fullback and given him extra duties that suited his style of play he has found a new lease on life.. and is an absolute sensation for us.

no-one has forgotten hornby and he will be in contention for the #7.. but many believe he is more of a utility than a fulltime half back.

-edit- i'd just like to add that gidleys main issue from 5/8th is that he always wanted to kick it.. and his kicking game was never up to scratch.. he would almost always sail the ball over the dead ball line or make some other blunder off the foot that would cost us big time. i would be happy to see him play 5/8th again if someone could place a kicking ban on his game. -/edit-

legend

Coach
nickdemonknight said:
For me to be considered he would have to have proved himself in a big game or a tough situation. Since to my knowledge (I haven't looked into Canberra games too much) he has not. I would have to say no as there is no proof that he would be able to deal with the pressure. If we were talking about him in 1 or 2 years I would see him as being mature enough to handle it but at the moment I don't.
Talented enough yes but able to handle the pressure no.

Absolute bollocks!

Carney kicked two long range field goals away from home to win golden point matches last year against the Tigers and Cowboys.

Not sure how much more pressure you want him to be under to prove himself, but to date has has come through with shining colours.

badav

Bench
Todd Carneys a super talent. But he is not ready for origin. Throwing young guys into reps too early can be bad sometimes. Remember Justin Hodges.

legend

Coach
badav said:
Todd Carneys a super talent. But he is not ready for origin. Throwing young guys into reps too early can be bad sometimes. Remember Justin Hodges.

For every Hodges I could give you a Laurie Daley, Brad Fittler or Brad Clyde, who were all young and are three of the best players to ever play the game.

If you are good enough, you are old enough.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think that with a lack of options in the 5/8 position this year NSW should back a younger up and comer ie. Carney or Mullen.

I think that Carney is playing the better footy and he's running his team well. I don't think he's intimidated by any situation and would be well suited to Origin.

I'll be very dissappointed if NSW pull the old "chuck another half back in there" again.

Raider Azz

Bench
id rather him not play, but then again im pretty selfish and don't want the raiders to play any games without him :p

perverse

Referee
badav said:
lol i will never forget that debut. it can go either way really... very much a make or break situation when you throw a young player into the big time, but lets remember that justin did recover, and look at him now.

emil1989

Juniors
i think hornby should by the 5/8 as he'd play well with his backline..he wont be a matchwinner at halfback..he dosnt have the ability to control the game like orford or gower can..
i guess gidley on the bench then...or maybe robbie farah..would reni matuia be a good utility?

nickdemonknight

Juniors
Absolute bollocks!

Carney kicked two long range field goals away from home to win golden point matches last year against the Tigers and Cowboys.

Not sure how much more pressure you want him to be under to prove himself, but to date has has come through with shining colours.

I see your point. I was thinking that he hadn't necessarily been put under pressure to perform at a high standard on a regular basis. By the opposition or expectations, however as I said I haven't seen much of him therefore was talking from what I did know (which admittedly wasn't much). Also remember that a few good games and a few tough field goals also don't make him ready. Although he is still a very good player.

petetheileet

First Grade
yikes some people can jump the gun....aint the title of the thread eady for origin.... ready like honestly how many games has the kid won...call me biased but Hornby is a much better choice

Evergreen

Juniors
Throw Carney into City v Country and if he plays well, give him a blue jumper.

NSW will shoot themselves in the foot by naming two halfbacks or Ben Hornby in the halves.

nickdemonknight

Juniors
Evergreen said:
Throw Carney into City v Country and if he plays well, give him a blue jumper.

NSW will shoot themselves in the foot by naming two halfbacks or Ben Hornby in the halves.

I agree that we shouldn't use 2 halfbacks and we should have a proper 5/8. I also agree that we should find our 5/8 in the City V Country match. Even if it means that there is a second 5/8 on the bench for 1 or both of the teams so that NSW selectors can be confident that they have the best player for the job. Although they would never do that.

Balmain_Boy

Just a question for Raiders' fans.

I know Carney started his FG career at half back with Smith inside him, but did he play half or 5/8 in the lower grades? If it's the former I'm stunned at how quick his transition has been - he looks an out and out 5/8 at present. It's great to see.

Y2Eel

First Grade
legend said:
Absolute bollocks!

So has Finch :lol:

Evergreen

Juniors
Carney always seemed to wear the no. 7 jumper in the lower grades, but he would often jump to second receiver to find some width and use his running game.

Playing halfback has definitely helped along his passing and kicking games, which have put him into that 'traditional' 5/8 category.

Y2Eel

First Grade
legend said:
Behind a good pack and with some great outside backs, is Todd Carney ready for Origin footy yet?

You'd have to say he is the form five eighth at the moment but because he is only 20, the selectors may want to give him another year to get a bit more experience under his belt before he takes the big stage for the rep matches.

Obviously Canberra fanshave had wrapson Carney for a few years now and under Henry he is starting to show what he is capapble of.

His running close to the line is very reminiscent to Brad Fittler in his prime and he is almost impossible to stop. He has a ver good long kicking game and has a fair bit of size for a five eighth, which is something NSW have traditionally relied on.

Iknow his age is working against him but guys like Daley, Clyde and Fittler played Origin either at the same age or even younger and look at the careers they ended up having?

If you are good enough, you are old enough and at the moment NSW don't have too many other options.

There is still a month to go but if Carney can keep up his cirrent form, he will be hard to keep out of the NSW side IMO.

He running games nothing like Fittlers..

Aslo Daley Clyde Fittler were alot better then Carney is/When they started in First grade and Origin..

If he gets picked good luck to him could only help himin the long run...

Mal Meninga

Bench
I'd like to see him improve his decision making close to the line and the general organisation of his forwards, which was lacking once Dobson was injured. Defensively he's had his fair share of struggles. If he were next to Johns, i'd have no hesitation as Carney's long range kicking game and explosive running would be enough to get NSW over the line. But next to Orford/Gower/Finch/Hornby, I can see him getting lost out there.

At club level he's rapidly improved since mid 2006 but let's hopefully see him be picked for Country first.

Latest posts