What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Channel 9 the home of rugby league?

Gould was a capable first grader, club captain at 20 and was an extremely successful coach. What has Rothfield ever done?

I don't disagree.

Someone posted somewhere when Gould analysed the game and wasn't a sour dour caller, he was great. And I agree. I saw him speaking about RL circa 2008 and he was fantastic. I also think he's very well connected and very knowledgeable and very experienced. He's probably also very frustrated.

And I think Ch 9 failed in its sports commentary with cricket and NRL. Before I stopped watching 9 though, he was just a punish to listen to.

King hit

Coach
I don't disagree.

Someone posted somewhere when Gould analysed the game and wasn't a sour dour caller, he was great. And I agree. I saw him speaking about RL circa 2008 and he was fantastic. I also think he's very well connected and very knowledgeable and very experienced. He's probably also very frustrated.

And I think Ch 9 failed in its sports commentary with cricket and NRL. Before I stopped watching 9 though, he was just a punish to listen to.
Something I really still respect about Gould’s commentary is that he isn’t afraid to speak his mind saying things that people won’t like to hear without giving a f**k what people think of him. That’s what I really want to hear from commentators.

I definitely agree about 9 failing with its commentary team badly. The big problem apart from Hadley-Voss is giving jobs to retired players with no speaking skills. They were great players but Thurston and Lockyer are some of the worst commentators I’ve ever heard. Lockyer doesn’t even seem to have any clue at all. Thurston is shocking as well.

Something I really still respect about Gould’s commentary is that he isn’t afraid to speak his mind saying things that people won’t like to hear without giving a f**k what people think of him. That’s what I really want to hear from commentators.

I definitely agree about 9 failing with its commentary team badly. The big problem apart from Hadley-Voss is giving jobs to retired players with no speaking skills. They were great players but Thurston and Lockyer are some of the worst commentators I’ve ever heard. Lockyer doesn’t even seem to have any clue at all. Thurston is shocking as well.

Channel 9 think their "usual gang of idiots" schtick works. It doesn't.

A caller, an analyst and a sideline eye is all you need.

Ch 9 did the same shite for cricket for a decade before they lost the rights. "Hey, Hey It's Cricket-day" was what they dished out with three twats goofing around. No one was as cool as them...

JokerEel

Coach
Channel 9 think their "usual gang of idiots" schtick works. It doesn't.

A caller, an analyst and a sideline eye is all you need.

Ch 9 did the same shite for cricket for a decade before they lost the rights. "Hey, Hey It's Cricket-day" was what they dished out with three twats goofing around. No one was as cool as them...

Below are quotes after 7 won the cricket rights from 9...

That what needs to be asked when the next deal is done...

upload_2020-4-14_13-21-29.png

upload_2020-4-14_13-21-42.png

axl rose

Bench
They were great players but Thurston and Lockyer are some of the worst commentators I’ve ever heard. Lockyer doesn’t even seem to have any clue at all. Thurston is shocking as well.

They really struggle to fill their QLD quota. The New South Welshman cant always cover for them, much like a Kangaroos team.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
My bugbear.
It was well known back in the mid 90s the ARL had about $20m in the Bank. Diidn't know the AFL had about $6m.What I did know ,the AFL were feeling a tad discomfortable then, as rugby league was then considered a serious threat.
We all know the SL war ensured the piggy bank ,was emptied faster than a bomb threat in a Kabul theatre.
We were screwed on TV deal after TV deal, as Gallop was a former News lawyer and we we half owned by that organisation.
Yes we have had some incompetence in the last few years ,not of News making but NRL H/O

Let's imagine(no disrespect to John Lennon) no SL war,Quayle and Arko going on with expansion but realising no clubs needed be axed or relocated,where would we be now?

I'd suggest we'd have Perth and a 2nd Brisbane team already in(Melbourne of course),with independent TV negotiations and controlled budgets,I'd venture to say we'd have at least $ 200m in the Bank, plus we'd have equity(in part) in Parra stadium and in a new SFS.
Oh and we'd have a Tv deal, which would show the game in non heartland areas at respectable times and actually promote the code.The TV station would most likely be ch10.

Arko and Quayle were always planning to cut the teams back to 14-16, they just didnt have the stomach to do it simultaneously to introducing new teams...

The whole point of the 1-year licences (the thing that got them into the SL mess) was that they wanted to be able to exclude weak teams whenever they wanted.

If Murdoch hadnt come along, half a dozen teams would have still been culled leading into 2000. The only difference is that the current comp would have teams in all major cities, not all Sydney suburbs...

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Arko and Quayle were always planning to cut the teams back to 14-16, they just didnt have the stomach to do it simultaneously to introducing new teams...

The whole point of the 1-year licences (the thing that got them into the SL mess) was that they wanted to be able to exclude weak teams whenever they wanted.

If Murdoch hadnt come along, half a dozen teams would have still been culled leading into 2000. The only difference is that the current comp would have teams in all major cities, not all Sydney suburbs...

From memory they'd tried St.George in Adelaide and Balmain in Melbourne.

At least with Arko and Quayle they would have tried to minimise the damage.

28,884 at that Saints vs Balmain game at Adelaide in 1991.

18,892 (vs Brisbane) in 1992, 20,246 (vs Canberra) in 1993 and 12,874 (vs Wests) in 1994.

In 2017, 18 and 19 Roosters vs Storm - 21,492, 17,728 and 16,297...but a couple of those were wet weekends if I remember correctly.

There's absolutely an appetite for RL in Adelaide. If Ch9 and ARLC worked it right, they all could have divided up the spoils in advertising, TV ratings and memberships/attendances whilst promoting the game.

taipan

Referee

Yep and Cronulla was probably at the head of the list.
Still think culling teams ATT ,when the game in terms of popularity was a threat to AFL, would have been whiteanting the base.And I feel Arko and Quayle knew it.Both being strongly aligned to clubs, it could be argued they would have operated under self interest.
Can't imagine Easts or Manly being relocated then.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

They definitely would have done the culling a lot cleaner and the team distribution would have been much better

But it doesnt change the fact that the cull was inevitable

tri_colours

Juniors

Distributions to clubs was increasing annually under Arthurson /Quayle. So If the SL war hadn't come along and caused prices to skyrocket overnight. There 's no evidence to suggest those sides wouldn't be around today.

The TV boom would have occurred whether it be under fox or packer/optus.

The 20 sides were left to sink or swim , there was no intention of culling any sides.
Who knows what may of happened.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Distributions to clubs was increasing annually under Arthurson /Quayle. So If the SL war hadn't come along and caused prices to skyrocket overnight. There 's no evidence to suggest those sides wouldn't be around today.

The TV boom would have occurred whether it be under fox or packer/optus.

The 20 sides were left to sink or swim , there was no intention of culling any sides.
Who knows what may of happened.

They knew the pain would be great so had settled on a policy of natural attrition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So nines deal is:
Less fta games
Less money
No bidding war with a 4 year extension
Reduce value to Fox by no simucast and no Friday 6pm game

What’s Vlandys waiting for? sounds a great offer!

axl rose

Bench
So nines deal is:
Less fta games
Less money
No bidding war with a 4 year extension
Reduce value to Fox by no simucast and no Friday 6pm game

What’s Vlandys waiting for? sounds a great offer!
W1_w9y.gif

Last edited: