What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Haha. I also started a thread demanding Moylan to play.... Yet this gets bumped

Cleary is obviously a good coach, but he makes some headscratchers just like anyone. Not having Segeyaro start until Kingston got injured just because Kingston was captain, playing Yeo on the wing, Whare at fullback, his love affair with Docker regardless of form.....but he is getting the job done overall.

franklin2323

Immortal
Cleary is obviously a good coach, but he makes some headscratchers just like anyone. Not having Segeyaro start until Kingston got injured just because Kingston was captain, playing Yeo on the wing, Whare at fullback, his love affair with Docker regardless of form.....but he is getting the job done overall.

That was my point originally. Was never he's hopeless just that the jury was still out.

Moylan too. Got a start due to Wes, Tighe, Mansour etc being injured forcing Whare into the centres. Then we won something like 11 from 16 to end last year.

The interesting thing will be when everyone is back next year. What our team will look like

mxlegend99

Referee
Taylor, Peachey and Cartwright will be part of the full strength side. Wallace might start off there, but his spot isn't guaranteed. I see him having the Kingston treatment.

mxlegend99

Referee
I see him. losing it once someone has proven they can do a better job. Not because we all believe he can. Everyone knew Segeyaro would become our starting hooker. Cleary included. But he waited until he had proven he could do it before making the decision to keep it that way.

No one has proven themselves to be a better partner to Soward yet. Smith isn't the answer. Peachey and Cartwright will be in the forwards anyway. So it really only leaves Korisau and Moylan as potentially moving there. But neither is a certainty to be better.

franklin2323

Immortal
People had doubts over Seg's full 80 performance etc. Same will be the case again with Wallace being moved. I have made it clear I don't rate him but as you have listed there's no standouts. So injury will make the change

Injury meant it had to happen as there was no choice. There's no Guarantee Peachey and Cartwright will be in the forwards. Only Taylor is a certainty given how far we are now. IMO we have looked the best with Peachey in the halves

chrisD

Coach
I have no doubt Peachey, Cartwright and Taylor will play in the back row in Cleary's full strength 17, and Wallace in the 7. But I had no doubt Taylor would be lock at the start of this year as well.

I'd have Peachey in the halves, wanted him there since the start of this season. Peachey in the halves, Cartwright on the right, Idris left, Taylor middle, Manu front.

maple_69

Bench
Anderson will drop out of our prop rotation to start. Robinson leaves for Taylor. I think Peach comes in for BMM. Cartwright may start in NSW Cup.

Frankus

Juniors

Whare played alot of fullback at Manly when Stewart was injured.

Can see your points otherwise, but its not like it was his first ever game at fullback and he had performed very well playing there at Manly in 2012.

Frankus

Juniors
I have no doubt Peachey, Cartwright and Taylor will play in the back row in Cleary's full strength 17, and Wallace in the 7. But I had no doubt Taylor would be lock at the start of this year as well.

I'd have Peachey in the halves, wanted him there since the start of this season. Peachey in the halves, Cartwright on the right, Idris left, Taylor middle, Manu front.

Are we certain Wallace and Taylor will be fit for 2015 game 1 season proper? Knee reconstructions (depending in Medial is also torn) are usually 6-9 months for full recovery? Doesn't give him much time to be right?

In regards to the forwards in my opinion(s) Taylor (we agree on this) is the only certainty to be starting of those listed. He is going to play 80 minutes and make 50 tackles a game, meaning Segs and other ball running forwards don't have to. Manu is looking fitter and with a decent offseason could again become a great wide running forward. He probably only played 50 minutes or less on the weekend but I thought he was fantastic.

Another certainty is Brown being on at least the bench, if not pushing for a starting berth. He will also play 50 odd minutes and could probably play the full 80 if needed.

Anything can happen in the offseason.

The fact we are having this 'how are we going to fit so and so into the starting 17?' "problem" really is fantastic.

mxlegend99

Referee
Unless it was his coaching that caused our injury toll, I doubt anyone does better than he did with us. I don't think Gus sacking someone means much in regards to their ability. He sacked Jennings, Lewis and Coote aswell. Two have gone on to win premierships since then.

Copperhead

Juniors
Unless it was his coaching that caused our injury toll, I doubt anyone does better than he did with us. I don't think Gus sacking someone means much in regards to their ability. He sacked Jennings, Lewis and Coote aswell. Two have gone on to win premierships since then.

You make it seem he only sacked those 3. He cleared out most of the team, and those you mentioned were killing our salary cap, and 2 of them were undermining player moral. Nothing to do with their ability. Cleary's record speaks for itself....pretty damned poor.

Sime_11

Juniors
Cleary took us to our first prelim final in 10 years, surely that counts for something.

no wooden spoons either (granted though that we did come close)

not the greatest coach ever but obviously not a dud. your a fool if you think he was a dud at Penrith.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Cleary took us to our first prelim final in 10 years, surely that counts for something.

no wooden spoons either (granted though that we did come close)

not the greatest coach ever but obviously not a dud. your a fool if you think he was a dud at Penrith.

This. Can anyone, hand on heart, say that any other coach would have done any better given our injuries this season?

betcats

Referee
Cleary was far from a dud, he had his faults no doubt but overall he did pretty well rebuilding the team considering the challenges he faced.