What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

Das Hassler

Bench
Correct me if i'm wrong but as far as i know Gus has never really publicly endorsed Ivan's return. I suggested the following 6 months ago and got shot at. ..Completely agree it was Ivan and the board, not Gould who engineered the return ...Ivan leveraged Nathan's ( who we're building our future around) ascendancy to get back in to pick up where he left off on ( quote) " unfinished work" ....whether it is or not the unfinished part is a shot at Guss pure and simple ...revenge is a meal best served ...expensively !
Having said that i think he's a very good coach. ...his ability to dominate some strong player personalities i'm mot sure about

Vic Mackey

Referee
Ivan is a good coach, a very good coach, for a rebuild club. It remains to be seen if he is the right coach for a club in a Premiership Window like the Panthers. It astounded me Penrith didn’t go for Maguire, he would have been the perfect fit for them.

trevcogger

Juniors
Is this post a trick question?
YES.Of course chin senior is a dud.....Chin Jnr is also a dud,but the press have pumped up his tyres over last few years...
Sitting 14th now with the grudge match next week.
And YES..KARMA is real.......

franklin2323

Immortal
Ivan is a good coach, a very good coach, for a rebuild club. It remains to be seen if he is the right coach for a club in a Premiership Window like the Panthers. It astounded me Penrith didn’t go for Maguire, he would have been the perfect fit for them.

Des, Maguire, Bennett 3 premiership winning coaches available.. Yet they go for a mate

The Realist

Juniors
. It astounded me Penrith didn’t go for Maguire, he would have been the perfect fit for them.

It astounded many of us in here as well. Madge was the obvious choice for us. Hasler also a good option, and if we could have swung Bennett over that was a very good option as well. You guys definitely got the better end of the deal. You guys upgraded your coach (With no pay out) and also saved yourselves from overpaying for a halfback. We on the other hand effectively dug ourselves a hole and boxed ourselves in.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Des, Maguire, Bennett 3 premiership winning coaches available.. Yet they go for a mate

Everyone knows why they went for Ivan, to secure his son. It was an all in play. I think it’s harsh to judge after 3 rounds however with the way it transpired anything other then immediate success was always going to attract widespread criticism.

In the press conference last night Ivan bagged the refs, he never once did this during his time at the Tigers. He then got the shits when asked about next weeks game saying he didn’t expect anything to be made of it in the media, then walked out when asked about it again. He is clearly rattled, again which is rare for him as one of his best assets was his calm demeanor.

Vic Mackey

Referee
It astounded many of us in here as well. Madge was the obvious choice for us. Hasler also a good option, and if we could have swung Bennett over that was a very good option as well. You guys definitely got the better end of the deal. You guys upgraded your coach (With no pay out) and also saved yourselves from overpaying for a halfback. We on the other hand effectively dug ourselves a hole and boxed ourselves in.

I said it when it first happened, I still feel Ivan was the right coach for us, at least for one more year. The early signs are good but I’m still not 100% sold on Maguire. As you say though Madge would have been the perfect fit for Penrith.

GongPanther

Referee
There were also several passes that required the receiver to leap high to get the ball, effectively making them little more than a hospital pass.
I'd have to get pissed again before I watch it again, but I do vaguely remember some passes being a bit wayward.

Kilkenny

Coach
I don’t think either Cleary’s are dud’s. I’m not sure either or can take us to a premiership but I think the deficiencies in the team were there under Griffin and Ivan has inherited the same issues. We lack genuine speed, a quality dummy half, another quality front rower in the Klemmer mould and a bit of X factor off the bench.

franklin2323

Immortal
Everyone knows why they went for Ivan, to secure his son. It was an all in play. I think it’s harsh to judge after 3 rounds however with the way it transpired anything other then immediate success was always going to attract widespread criticism.

In the press conference last night Ivan bagged the refs, he never once did this during his time at the Tigers. He then got the shits when asked about next weeks game saying he didn’t expect anything to be made of it in the media, then walked out when asked about it again. He is clearly rattled, again which is rare for him as one of his best assets was his calm demeanor.

We sacked a coach when running 4th. Who had to 2nd best record at the club... Whether it was Ivan or not the pressure would be on the board and the coach.

The way it happened has only increased that pressure. You could see promise in the performances under hook. This year same same every game so far

Exsilium

First Grade
It would have been interesting to see how we would have gone with Hook for the rest of the season.

This whole saga was a calculated move by the board to ensure we kept Nathan Cleary.

We didn’t have much success under IC before and most claimed he needed a better squad, he has a decent one now and so far we’ve drawn a blank.

At one point or another something will give. IC will be found out to be an average coach or the players have to be held accountable. Maybe both.

Either way, NC isn’t a rookie anymore and if he wants to command the top salary, I expect him to produce results. Same goes for IC, get the squad firing otherwise it’ll be a very lean period.