What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
They are crap, no attack, no vision, no kicking, crap passes, but can tackle.

Worst in the comp. Every other team has better hookers. dispute that with names.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

Worst in the comp. Every other team has better hookers. dispute that with names.

Why? So we can have an argument over whose better, Katoa or Levi, Egan or Marshall-King etc etc. What would be the point.

Both our Hookers have everything you are saying they don’t, they have shown it plenty of times in the past. You clearly haven’t watched enough of them based on your comments.

They aren’t the issue. our stupid side to side game plan is. They aren’t being given the chance to show what they can do because we are attacking off the back foot.

I didn’t see you on here bagging them out last year?? Why is it different now?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
ok then, we disagree I think your hookers are the worst in the comp. You do not.

I think your hookers are holding back your team back and will kill any thoughts of making finals. you disagree.

See you at the end of season. Doubt your hookers will be there, they are crap.

The Realist

Juniors
I am with Luke on this. Katoa has proven to be at least capable and that was after a pre-season where he was expected to be back up hooker/utility. Egan we cannot really judge yet - however he strikes me as being too tall for a #9.

mxlegend99

Referee
ok then, we disagree I think your hookers are the worst in the comp. You do not.

I think your hookers are holding back your team back and will kill any thoughts of making finals. you disagree.

See you at the end of season. Doubt your hookers will be there, they are crap.
Honestly... if ours aren't the worst. They wouldn't be far off it. Neither has established themselves as NRL quality. Katoa has just kind of racked up games due to being the best we have.

Egan could deliver eventually. But there wouldn't be much competition in keeping them on current form. Wish we could give our guys 12 months under Bellamy or Bennett and let them get that last 10% out of them.

age.s

First Grade
No way Katoa is the worst starting Hooker in the comp. I'd have him over Mahoney, Levi and Marshall King to name 3. He's borderline with a few others too.

Whether we're winning a premiership with him is a different question.

franklin2323

Immortal
No way Katoa is the worst starting Hooker in the comp. I'd have him over Mahoney, Levi and Marshall King to name 3. He's borderline with a few others too.

Whether we're winning a premiership with him is a different question.

2 of those you mentioned are in bottom 8 teams. Compare them against top 8 teams... Maybe not the worst but not in the top 10

Kilkenny

Coach
Given our game plan or structure our dummy half’s aren’t encouraged or allowed to scoot out of dummy half. I think this is a huge disadvantage because of the non Panthers games I have watched this season (and previous years) having a quick scoot out of dummy half can be an attacking weapon and for reasons unknown we didn’t deploy it under Griffin and haven’t seen it under Ivan. Personally I don’t get it as surely both our current dummy half’s are capable of darting out of dummy half even if they don’t have the pace of some of the top hookers.

mxlegend99

Referee
For those who think our form has gone backwards under Ivan. We hardly started the 2016 and 2017 seasons well under Hook

2016... we were 1 from 4 heading into round 5.
2017... we were 2 from 4...and lost 5 in a row after that. 2 wins from 9 games.

Not that it's acceptable. But we made the finals both those seasons and so far are no worse off than both of those seasons. We've lost a lot of depth and had injuries to key forwards with poor depth to replace them.

I think if we hit Round 10 with 5 or 6 wins it's a pass. Barely. But the important thing is our form improves as the season goes on. We need to make week 3 of finals. Thats when we have finally improved.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Sincere question, what do you see in him that makes you say that?

Defence - He’s outstanding, I doubt anyone argue that.

Kicking - He possesses a great boot, from general play to goal kicking.

Composure - that’s basically his middle name and the reason he was picked for origin.

Attack in general - he’s a running half back who is not afraid to take the line on. He’s an acturate passer who rarely throws a bad pass.

He’s a very smart footballer and despite what others on this forum might say, he has excellent vision across the field. The kick on the run to Peachy to score in the corner is but one example of this.

For me, Game management is the only real area he needs to work on, but that will come with time.

I realise that plenty of people will shoot me down and use the last three games of footy as their ammo. That’s fine, I don’t mind.

The whole team has had a shit house start, no one is firing and it’s making it hard for everyone to get into a groove.

One good game is all they need and you watch, Cleary will be right in line to retain his origin spot.

Composure - that’s basically his middle name and the reason he was picked for origin.

Attack in general - he’s a running half back who is not afraid to take the line on. He’s an acturate passer who rarely throws a bad pass.

He’s a very smart footballer and despite what others on this forum might say, he has excellent vision across the field. The kick on the run to Peachy to score in the corner is but one example of this.

For me, Game management is the only real area he needs to work on, but that will come with time.

I realise that plenty of people will shoot me down and use the last three games of footy as their ammo. That’s fine, I don’t mind.

The whole team has had a shit house start, no one is firing and it’s making it hard for everyone to get into a groove.

One good game is all they need and you watch, Cleary will be right in line to retain his origin spot.

I think it’s interesting the first thing you mentioned is defence, a lot of people say this about Cleary first up. But to me defence in a half back is a cherry on top.

Re your other points

Great goal kicker, ordinary general play kicker. I think he went a long time without kicking a 40/20. His short game kicking near the try line is actually bad, not even ordinary. He shouldn’t be allowed to do grubbed kicks it’s that bad.

Agree with composure, he’s got a level head.

Attack I don’t agree with, a no.7 is about creating opportunities, he doesn’t do this for his outside backs. Sure he can hit an accurate pass, but most halves can do that. He basically has very little creativity.

The kick on the run to Peachey was almost 3 years ago now, I think it’s telling that is what comes to mind.

To me this most definitely isn’t about just the start of this year, Cleary has looked pedestrian in attack for some time now.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I think Nathan is a good player.

I suggest hooker as you have crap ones and a halfback in Jerome to fill void.

About the team.

mxlegend99

Referee

Nathan is also more playing 5/8th now. He has the 7 on his back. But James is our primary playmaker.

But Cleary revealed what could be a more significant shift for their combination with ball-in-hand, veteran Maloney taking on more of the organising duties many deem as Cleary's playmaking strong suit.

"Jimmy has gone more first receiver so I can run a bit more and roam around," Cleary said after the loss to Melbourne.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/31/cleary-shuns-social-media-as-penrith-rejig-halves-combo/

Pretty sure fans wanted Maloney running the team and Nathan playing backseat to him. We're trying to find a balance that works. Jimmy is our main man. We're trying to bring out his early 2018 form and when we do Nathan can play off that.