What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

The squad isn’t perfect, but the main issue is clear to me :point_down:

Captain Obvious I know, but this is why we need an attacking coach.

This stat is rather bleak for Cleary. Surely he must be thinking about adding an attacking coach to his staff.

Makes Dave O’Neill look even more like a fool for undermining Gus and bringing this bloke back

Captain Obvious I know, but this is why we need an attacking coach.

This stat is rather bleak for Cleary. Surely he must be thinking about adding an attacking coach to his staff.

Makes Dave O’Neill look even more like a fool for undermining Gus and bringing this bloke back

Problem is, even if you add an attacking coach, it could be other things Cleary is doing that restricts the scoring. Team selections being the biggest factor, but also issues surrounding fitness would play in to it.

TheFrog

Coach
Nah, just a coincidence I'm sure...
He won 50% of games last year with a side that on paper is inferior to the one he's got now. Beat Melbourne twice and should have beat Roosters twice. The side he's got now with just a couple of changes made the last 6 standing last season. Now Peachey, Merrin and CHN are good players but not that good. A lot of whinging right here about Peachey and Merrin last year, not so much CHN who came off the bench and did his job. Put this together it spells "Something Isn't Right". Both the coach and the team are currently seriously underperforming. We're not going to be privy to the "talks" but we'll see if they achieved anything this week.

Dylan Edwards is a shadow of his former self thanks to injury.
Edwards was MoM in reserve grade last week, but Ivan preferred Fuimaiono. You cannot hold grudges when your team is sitting on 5 straight defeats. He should bring Edwards back into the side.

Last edited:

Bob

Juniors
Read Dean Ritchie in D/T: more sense than some comments on this web site..
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/4a6cf33d21e937a2d4e71be3dfa25c41

Penrith boss slams Wayne Bennett link, critics as pressure mounts

DEAN RITCHIE, EXCLUSIVE, The Daily Telegraph

Penrith chairman Dave O’Neill has made the extraordinary claim that the Panthers board took just two seconds to reject signing veteran coach Wayne Bennett.

The revelation came as O’Neill threw his considerable support behind under-pressure coach Ivan Cleary, stating: “I believe in what he is doing.”

When asked by The Daily Telegraph whether Penrith officially sought Bennett, an agitated O’Neill said: “It’s a whole heap of bullshit.”

O’Neill also took aim at his club’s critics.

“Where were they 20 years ago when the place was broke and $100 million in debt and couldn’t afford the bills?’’ he said.

similars

“No one cared but you lose a few football games and everybody wants to cut the head off a snake. I don’t get it.”

In an explosive interview, O’Neill declared:

● Penrith never wanted Bennett;

● Cleary would front the board on May 29, where he is expected to be grilled over his team’s performances;

● The board was “filthy” at the season’s results yet remained staunchly behind the players;

● Former coach Anthony Griffin was sacked entirely on the recommendation of former general manager of football Phil Gould;

● Suggestions Ivan Cleary was signed to entice son Nathan into remaining at the club were “bullshit”; and

● An eight-man retention and recruitment committee had been implemented to prevent a Gould-like situation where one powerbroker made all decisions.

116a6d90b7e1246ea2983c44d154faa5

James Maloney and the Panthers crashed to another disappointing loss at the weekend. Picture: Getty Images
BENNETT LINK

O’Neill was irate at talk the Panthers had formally approached Bennett.

“There was never, ever a deal to the board or senior management regarding Wayne Bennett coming to this club,” he said. “It was a throwaway line from Phil Gould in a conversation with the executive that he could possibly get Wayne Bennett here for a couple of years. That was it.

“It was never, ever put to the board, never, ever put to senior management regarding a time frame, a dollar figure, absolutely nothing. I never saw a piece of paper with a deal on it.

“I took it to the board when we were discussing Ivan Cleary and we talked about a back-up plan. I told them Gus had a throwaway line about getting Bennett and the board took about two seconds to say ‘no way in the world, not interested’.

32294e406cdeae325023ffa59f802392

Penrith never wanted Wayne Bennett, according to Dave O’Neill. Picture: AAP
“Our back-up plan if Ivan couldn’t get a release — which we weren’t quite sure about at the time — was Cameron Ciraldo. That’s 100 per cent. I’ve got a lot of respect for Gus but the whole rubbish about Wayne Bennett having a deal at Panthers is a load of crap.

“The board gets dirty when we hear we could have had Bennett over Ivan. It’s a whole heap of bullshit.

“Whether they like me or not, I don’t care. Everything we are doing here is in the best interests of this club.”

CLEARY THE AIR

O’Neill also hit out at talk Ivan was signed to ensure Nathan, the NSW Origin halfback, remained.

“We never bought Ivan here to keep Nathan Cleary,” O’Neill said.

“Nathan was totally in Gus’s hands. It was never, ever mentioned in any conversation with Ivan.

“Nathan was done well and truly before Ivan. I will put my hand on my heart — never once when I spoke to Ivan Cleary was anything mentioned about Nathan staying. There is no way in the world we targeted Ivan to keep his son.

“Everyone on the board are business people who make decisions without emotion. We never made a decision to hire a coach to keep his son. That’s a load of bullshit, garbage. There are certain people that don’t want Ivan to succeed, too.

ebb6146f368b80972fd9f04e108c3c97

The Panthers have backed under-pressure coach Ivan Cleary. Picture: Richard Dobson
“We went through every coach — and Gus was involved, don’t worry about Gus — in Super League, every coach that wasn’t employed, every coach that was employed. We might not have got Ivan.

“I asked Ivan a simple question. ‘Would you consider coming back to Penrith?’ I never went there with a contract to sign. It was a simple question and it escalated from there. Once it got out it was untenable (at Wests Tigers).

“Let’s face it, the Hook (Griffin) and Gus thing was untenable. We sacked Hook on the recommendation of Gus.

“It wasn’t pleasant. He was a good family man but we just had a change of direction. It was an unsavoury time.”

TROUBLED TIMES

Wests Tigers thumped Penrith 30-4 last Friday night, conceding a point a minute for the first quarter of the match as the Panthers crumbled to a seventh loss in nine games.

Fans are complaining bitterly on social media, further angering the club.

“What the fans have to realise is, they might not be happy with us, but we are doing everything we can in the best interests of this club for long-term sustainability,” O’Neill said.

“No one is happy with how we’re playing. But we have to stick by them. That’s the roster Ivan has. He never bought one player to the club.

5818b6bc97717a17f4c5f02046597d68

The Panthers were hammered by Wests Tigers on Friday night. Picture: Getty Images
“We’re not in the position we had hoped. I feel it more than anybody. It takes me three days to get over a loss. But we believe in what we are doing and we will get there.

“I appreciate what the fans are saying but we’ve just got to knuckle down, trust our systems and hope we come out the other end.

“I have 100 per cent full support of Ivan, I believe in what he is doing.

“We have reacted and put in a retention committee. Everything goes to the committee, nothing is done one-out.”

The committee includes O’Neill, Cleary, Ciraldo, Brian Fletcher, Greg Alexander, Jim Jones, Matt Cameron and the club’s chief financial officer John White.

Fangs

Coach
He won't convince anyone. Sorry Dave but you better stop digging.

EDIT: The line about the roster is revealing. Get ready for more bullshit about needed a 're-building year'. What a mess.

Bob

Juniors
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/fdb9c900692f23afe51621f9bee0c512

Panthers saw Wayne Bennett as short-term solution, back ‘sorry’ Ivan Cleary as the future

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
May 13, 2019 9:22am

Panthers group chief executive Brian Fletcher believes signing Wayne Bennett would only have been a “short-term fix” for the embattled club.

Former general manager of football Phil Gould had identified Bennett as a potential suitor for the Panthers, before the board eventually went with Ivan Cleary.

Despite the Panthers’ perilous position, Fletcher has offered total support for Cleary, who has come under scrutiny following seven losses in nine games this season.

dea0dd581792fc0acf5c9f32e589bdcc

Ivan Cleary has been backed as the long-term answer for the Panthers. Picture: Mark Evans/Getty Images
“There isn’t a drama in the world with Ivan Cleary from a board’s perception, I can tell you that. Ivan has a five-year contract,” Fletcher said.

“At the moment, we’re not having success and that’s something we have to address. We will address the results and have a look at the playing roster going forward.

similars

“The fans are disappointed. As Ivan said, he feels sorry for the fans. We just haven’t performed to the level we were expected to perform.”

Bennett’s South Sydney side beat North Queensland on Sunday to continue their fast start to the season. But Fletcher doesn’t have any regrets about not opting for the veteran coach.

9f38bf225abf899d25ee9461b36acb2e

Penrith Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher has backed Ivan Cleary. Picture: AAP Image/Joel Carrett
ccd40a4da346823b83e85bda16aa8fbb

Wayne Bennett was not wanted by the Penrith board. Picture: Phil Hillyard
“No, not at all. The board thought for the long term future of the Panthers that Ivan was the man,” Fletcher said.

“We didn’t want a short-term fix, we wanted a long-term fix. He has a five-year deal and will be there for five years. He might even be here for longer if he has success.”

Cleary’s former team the Wests Tigers belted Penrith 30-4 last Friday night, sparking talk of a roster shake-up, including Dallin Watene-Zelezniak potentially joining Parramatta mid-season.

Fletcher, though, was reluctant to discuss the possibility some players could be moved on before their contracts expire to reinvigorate the playing roster.
“That’s not my call. That’s up to Ivan and the coaches to discuss,” he said.

“Ivan is in charge of the players. That’s the way it has been set up since he came here as coach. He will address all that this week and report back to the board.

“He attends those meetings and will give the board an update, like he usually does.

“I am sure we will get out of it. It’s been a few difficult weeks and we haven’t performed to the best of our ability. I think everyone is aware of that. We just have to dig ourselves out of it.

“Gus has moved on and it’s up to Ivan, Cameron (Ciraldo, assistant coach) and Peter Wallace (assistant coach) to sort out the football performances.”

Fletcher said Cleary would “get the players together” and start preparing for Friday night’s home game against New Zealand Warriors.

“The players are there, the ability is there, it’s just a matter of getting them to perform on the paddock,” Fletcher said.

“We’ve got a lot of talent down in the under-20s. Ivan will be looking at all that now. He is 100 per cent in charge of the whole football operations.”

So Fletcher is part of the "retention committee" ... however its not his "call" and its "up to the coaches to discuss" regarding changes to the playing roster?

We need to put a media ban on this dithering old fool.

TheFrog

Coach
Dave O"Neill said:
“Let’s face it, the Hook (Griffin) and Gus thing was untenable. We sacked Hook on the recommendation of Gus.

This I believe. But the board could (and should) have told Gus to pull his head in. There was absolutely no reason Cleary had to approach the Tigers management mid-season. Unless, perhaps, they were worried about losing the kid.

Abacus

Juniors
This I believe. But the board could (and should) have told Gus to pull his head in. There was absolutely no reason Cleary had to approach the Tigers management mid-season. Unless, perhaps, they were worried about losing the kid.
We already know that Gus recommended sacking Griffin once Dave has approached his mate. Some re-writing of history going on.

Whino

Bench
My take on the 2 articles is that Dave is a f**king liar and Fletcher is not smart enough to cover the club's collective arse.

Welcome to amateur hour ladies and gentlemen.

Welcome back darkness my old friend. I haven't seen you since the days of Elliott the idiot.

mxlegend99

Referee
Dave: Bennett was never considered.

Brian: Bennett was considered but we wanted long term with Ivan.

Fans: ???

How could this possibly get any more embarrassing?
They're lying 100%.

Gus had him agree to coach us. They wanted Ivan. It's as simple as that. Also lying about it beibg Goulds decision to sack Hook when we did. Gus wanted to wait until after the season was finished. The board decided he was gone after Broncos put 50 on us and he didnt even watch the whole game.

He was gone regardless. But the when was entirely on the board. Gus just had to spin everything they did to not look powerless and out of the loop.

TheFrog

Coach
O'Neill said:
“I have 100 per cent full support of Ivan, I believe in what he is doing.
Fletcher said:
Fletcher has offered total support for Cleary, who has come under scrutiny following seven losses in nine games this season.
I'll give him until Friday.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
The narrative that they didn't bring him back for Nathan makes it even worse, in my opinion because (1) we already sacked Ivan once, (2) he was contracted with another club, and (3) he has a sub 48% record. So of all the possible coaches out there to sign away 5 years to, we chose one that was already contracted, that we had already let go for poor results, and that doesn't have a winning record. At least the Nathan makes some sort of sense, though that was a dumb idea as well. f**k me, what a stupid club.

Latest posts