What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

Marky Mark

Juniors
Gus destroyed the club? That is just an illogical thing to say. We have had success all through the grades, made the semi finals 4 out of 5 years. Why do you say such a damming thing about somebody who has done more for the club than just about anybody in its history? We all know who decided to bring Dave's mate back, and his surname wasn't Gould.
Totally agree - Gus saved the club. He was the smartest there. Dave & our zombie coach need to acknowledge it's there fault & do the right thing... walk. Or run out of town.

Berry11

Juniors
Like all of you, it pains me to see what the club is going through. It's obvious that Ivan has lost the playing group. So the way forward is either get rid of him (and Nathan), or have a mass clear out of players. As neither of these is an option, as we have seen in the past with Luke Lewis and co., I believe that some hard decisions have to be made.
As it's not financially viable to sack Ivan at this time, maybe he could be given a role of Head Coach, Director of Football (call it what you like) and another assistant coach employed (Jason Taylor, Neil Henry or Cartwright) whoever is available, but someone who can motivate these guys and get them to train and get their minds back on the job of playing football.
I don't think Cleary reading them the riot act will work because there will always be the nepotism issue, but with him being one removed from direct contact with the team, we could perhaps work around it. This might also help Nathan because it surely can't be good for him trying to perform in this toxic environment.
My thoughts anyway, and hope we jag a win soon. Cheers.

Marky Mark

Juniors
Like all of you, it pains me to see what the club is going through. It's obvious that Ivan has lost the playing group. So the way forward is either get rid of him (and Nathan), or have a mass clear out of players. As neither of these is an option, as we have seen in the past with Luke Lewis and co., I believe that some hard decisions have to be made.
As it's not financially viable to sack Ivan at this time, maybe he could be given a role of Head Coach, Director of Football (call it what you like) and another assistant coach employed (Jason Taylor, Neil Henry or Cartwright) whoever is available, but someone who can motivate these guys and get them to train and get their minds back on the job of playing football.
I don't think Cleary reading them the riot act will work because there will always be the nepotism issue, but with him being one removed from direct contact with the team, we could perhaps work around it. This might also help Nathan because it surely can't be good for him trying to perform in this toxic environment.
My thoughts anyway, and hope we jag a win soon. Cheers.
Not bad but a massive amount to be paying Cleary to effectively do nothing. Cleary shouldn't "be reading them the riot act", it should be read to him. He has no personality & can't inspire, challenge & get the best out of the team. He just doesn't have what it takes. He makes dumb team selections & there's no evidence of a game plan.

Jason Taylor wouldn't be the way to go. Maybe Toovey?

roofromoz

First Grade
Moving Cleary to a director's role sounds OK in theory but would have a massive effect on the operations cap I would imagine.

murraymob

Coach
I am not a Cleary fan but

He never put together this roster Gus did .What he does now will define where he goes.
1.Egan has potential but needs to be taught stay low drive with the legs when getting out and going for a try Run more from dummy half
2.We need some middle running forwards if the current ones want to stand out wide all day move them on.
3 Either Cleary or Malony needs to go as a combination it does not work
4.There are major problem with the fitness staff and current assistant coaches .Bring in a Mathew Johns or a outsider to look at our attack
These are things he can change he can control .He needs to put his pride his ego aside.
Lets now see what he does to change the direction we currently heading

franklin2323

Immortal
I think we need to dispel this myth. The roster is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe. They are capable - but only if fit, disciplined and well coached.

We were getting 1/3 of these from Hook. Now we're getting 0/3 under Dave's mate.

Is there a coach you think could get this squad the premiership? I don't.. Week 2 finals at most for me.

Berry11

Juniors
Moving Cleary to a director's role sounds OK in theory but would have a massive effect on the operations cap I would imagine.

It works for Bellamy doesn't it? Doesn't he have guy's coaching defence, the halves, wrestling etc.? It worked for Mal Meninga with State of Origin. For some reason, it seems like Ciraldo is not ready. So perhaps an outsider on a one year contract but Cleary still in charge. He did coach Tigers to two wins over the Storm and mixed success with Warriors and we're stuck with him for five years anyway. We have to find a way to make it work.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not after the soft preseason we've had.

I mean this side playing to its potential under a real coach.

For me it's not a top 4 roster no matter who has it. Hooker, fullback and lack of speed would be the killers against the top teams.

Given we are right on the cap yet don't have a side good enough to win the comp to me is cap poorly managed.

Panfa

Juniors
We need a fullback hooker front rower and some tall wingers with speed then we might be a top 4 side

martielang

Bench
I think we need to dispel this myth. The roster is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe. They are capable - but only if fit, disciplined and well coached.

We were getting 1/3 of these from Hook. Now we're getting 0/3 under Dave's mate.

I think the only ones banging on about how weak the roster is this year compared to last are those trying to discredit the mighty Hookmeister... again.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think the only ones banging on about how weak the roster is this year compared to last are those trying to discredit the mighty Hookmeister... again.

I thought hook did a decent job and think roster is poor. I see us with a 14 win roster. 5 and 4 is closer to where we should be

GC, Sharks and Canberra are games we win with a better coach. Not sure we have the roster to trouble the top few teams

mxlegend99

Referee
Compared to the first 9 rounds last year we have only lost Tyrone Peachey, Corey Harawira-Naera, Trent Merrin, Peter Wallace, Cristian Crichton, Tyrone Phillips and Tyrone May.

Dylan Edwards is a shadow of his former self thanks to injury. While tge likes of Mansour, Whare and RCG have all continued theirpoor form.

We don't even have 17 NRL quality players in our top 30. Tim Grant has been hated by Ivan since Ivan got rid of him the first time here... but the depth in our pack is so poor he's now part of our best 17. Likewise MWZ... Ivan never hated him but he was depth at Tigers. Our backline here is so poor he has been required in it.

A better coach would make a difference. But this roster is a hell of alot worse than people on here want to admit. A couple of injuries and we have terrible reserve graders like Fuimaono in the roster.

franklin2323

Immortal
Compared to the first 9 rounds last year we have only lost Tyrone Peachey, Corey Harawira-Naera, Trent Merrin, Peter Wallace, Cristian Crichton, Tyrone Phillips and Tyrone May.

Dylan Edwards is a shadow of his former self thanks to injury. While tge likes of Mansour, Whare and RCG have all continued theirpoor form.

We don't even have 17 NRL quality players in our top 30. Tim Grant has been hated by Ivan since Ivan got rid of him the first time here... but the depth in our pack is so poor he's now part of our best 17. Likewise MWZ... Ivan never hated him but he was depth at Tigers. Our backline here is so poor he has been required in it.

A better coach would make a difference. But this roster is a hell of alot worse than people on here want to admit. A couple of injuries and we have terrible reserve graders like Fuimaono in the roster.

There is 2 maybe 3 games we lost due to poor coaching. Even allowing for Fuimaono being terrible on the weekend. One try DWZ was caught off his wing. Another Mansour a 3rd off a kick. There is no guarantee we nessarily score 3 tries to win anyway with a good coach

darkbloom

Juniors
Totally agree - Gus saved the club. He was the smartest there. Dave & our zombie coach need to acknowledge it's there fault & do the right thing... walk. Or run out of town.

Gus saved the club - myth.

Gus was the smartest there - truth - and mind you it would be true wherever Gus landed.

"Dave and our zombie coach need to acknowledge its there (sic) fault" - yes they need to acknowledge their contribution but it is not solely their fault. There are many contributing factors - some of those contributing factors were created by the man who is smarter than them all.

"They should do the right thing and walk" - possibly Dave should step down for crossing the line as Chairman by recruiting the coach without any consultation.

"or be run out of town" - a lynch mob approach is counter-productive it does UNLESS it has been shown there has been illegalities - there should be an investigation into the ENTIRE operations of Panthers to see just what is happening - and has happened - at all levels of the club.

Bob

Juniors

Couldn’t agree more, the biggest thing I’ve noticed is our lack of edge forwards
We have Kikau and then nobody, yeo should be moved to the middle,
We need a clean out of sorts, a couple of new front rowers, edge forwards and some decent wingers

Latest posts