What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Daniel Anderson the new Brian Smith ?

Eelectrica

Referee
No. Daniel Anderson has proved he's an excellent coach to even take this team to the Grand final. Smith would have had us fighting the Roosters tooth and nail for the spoon.

African Monkey

First Grade
Both great coaches imo. On Anderson, he's won super league titles at St Helens so that should count for something.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Nah, he's gotten better

Like today I heard he used an mp3 player at halftime showing Rabs commentating on the Eels scoring the match winner

Eelementary

Post Whore
2 Grand Finals for 2 losses so far.

Discuss.

8. Cayless
9. Keating
10. Moimoi
11. Hindmarsh
12. Smith
13. Lowrie
14. Kingston
15. Mateo
16. Galuvao
17. Mannah

With absolutely no disrespect to the Eels (whom I am immensely proud of), that is hardly a stellar forward pack...A few good players here and there, but overall, I doubt too many teams would kill to obtain their services...

6. Mortimer
7. Robson

Hardly a superstar halves combination, either.

The key here is that Daniel Anderson led this team to lose to a super, super, super good team by 7 points in a decider.

Can you imagine what he would have done if he had the 2001 squad and was playing under the 2001 rules?

Parrmatta were beaten by the better side tonight, and then only just. I don't see why we should be ashamed of losing to such a quality side.

gregstar

Referee
8. Cayless
9. Keating
10. Moimoi
11. Hindmarsh
12. Smith
13. Lowrie
14. Kingston
15. Mateo
16. Galuvao
17. Mannah

With absolutely no disrespect to the Eels (whom I am immensely proud of), that is hardly a stellar forward pack...A few good players here and there, but overall, I doubt too many teams would kill to obtain their services...

6. Mortimer
7. Robson

Hardly a superstar halves combination, either.

The key here is that Daniel Anderson led this team to lose to a super, super, super good team by 7 points in a decider.

Can you imagine what he would have done if he had the 2001 squad and was playing under the 2001 rules?

Parrmatta were beaten by the better side tonight, and then only just. I don't see why we should be ashamed of losing to such a quality side.
the 2 saints teams (particularly the '92 side) that smith coached weren't exactly dripping in talent either.

Angry_eel

First Grade
It was a tough job from the start. However, Anderson's style of playing is awesome. Eventhough we lost, that was the best football we've played.

Glen

Bench
His sides were both big underdogs against great opposition. He's a great coach

Hanscholo

Bench
Both good coaches. Its amazing the sh*t coaches get for making a GF and losing it. I dont think that there was any bad coaching in today's game, bellamy's plan was superb though. Interestingly enough, the same plan newcastle rolled parra with in 2001, have your back rowers isolate the halves and trample them...was quite ironic i thought given Hagan's role in all of this.

Eelementary

Post Whore
the 2 saints teams (particularly the '92 side) that smith coached weren't exactly dripping in talent either.

Fair enough.

I actually like Brian Smith. I don't really like his penchant for walking out on clubs when he has time left on his contract, but he is a great coach imo.

Raider_69

Post Whore
came up against two top quality sides, his sides pushed them to the limits. I was skeptical to begin the season but he's done the job, just came up short, for every GF winner, there is a GF loser. Ando's been unlucky

Anderson's a very good coach. If you play for him you just can't be a lil b*tch or he'll rip your feelings to pieces like he did with the Warriors back in 04. All of em were catchin feelings.

stuke

Bench
i think the simple fact that he took the Warriors to the GF when every other year they show so much promise and deliver nothing is testament to his skill.

this year he inherited a roster of underperforming and divided players who were lucky to be able to score a try and somehow turned their season around halfway through the year into one of the most entertaining teams in the comp.

this year should only have enhanced his reputation.

Tizzun

Juniors
No doubt he's a good coach, but he's made 5 gf's now (2 NRL, 3 ESL) and only won 1. He struggles to win the biggest game of the year. Will this improve over time or do some coaches just not have what it takes to consistently get a team over the line?

natheel

Coach
id say the roosters side of 02 were the equivalent of the storm of 09

very clinical tough and too much experiance all over the park

natheel

Coach
No doubt he's a good coach, but he's made 5 gf's now (2 NRL, 3 ESL) and only won 1. He struggles to win the biggest game of the year. Will this improve over time or do some coaches just not have what it takes to consistently get a team over the line?

same could be said for bellamy 2/4 gfs and how many series in SOO has he lost?