What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Hazem El Masri about to take last kick

gong_eagle

First Grade
Is Hazem El Masri about to take last kick

By Josh Massoud | March 05, 2009

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25139168-5006066,00.htm
0,,6514879,00.jpg

Super boot ... veteran Bulldogs winger
Hazem El Masri yesterday.

Photograph: Phil Hillyard / The Daily Telegraph

FOR more than a decade and nearly 300 games, Hazem El Masri's hamstrings have tied-up countless Bulldogs victories. But the valuable tendons that control the NRL's most deadly boot are now threatening to end a champion career.
Just six points away of breaking Andrew Johns' point-scoring record, El Masri yesterday revealed the milestone could coincide with his farewell season.
Although he played half the Bulldogs' trial win over Canberra last weekend, the 32-year-old struggled with hamstring complaints in 2008 and suffered two more setbacks over summer. The recurring injury has not only limited El Masri's goalkicking practice, but also brought the question of whether to continue beyond this season into sharper focus.
"I still don't know - I haven't made a decision about that yet," said El Masri, who is off-contract at the end of 2009. "I need to start the season and weigh up how the body is feeling. The off-season was hard, but I've been training really well the last couple of weeks.
"Whether I want to play on will be determined by how my body holds up week-to-week."
El Masri's sizeable fan club received a jolt recently, when new coach Kevin Moore declared there were no guarantees about the winger's position in a side bristling with backline talent.
But the statement came as no surprise to El Masri. Only nine games shy of becoming the first player to make 300 top-grade appearances for the Bulldogs, he is "realistic" about the challenges this season.
"I've had a heart-to heart with Kev and he's been honest and up front," El Masri said.
"I made it clear that I don't want to let the team down. If I've got injuries and I don't feel as though I'm performing at my best, I'll stand aside. I've had a few injuries crop up with my back and hamstrings, so I need to be healthy to play my best footy.
"I've concentrated on cardio work, swimming and running. But the test is doing the explosive stuff. That's when I've had a few problems recently.
"I'm going to have to get through that, however, because that's what you need to do in a game. I'm going to be going 100 miles an hour. If I break down, then so be it.
"When you get to this stage of your career, you've got to be realistic about the fact there's young guys coming through.
"If I'm not up to it I'm more than happy to . . . not let anyone down. I'd rather give my position to someone else than play below my best."
Every member of the blue and white army has their fingers crossed that El Masri will be fit to play in the Bulldogs' season-opener against Manly on Saturday week.
Thanks to a rare off-day with the boot in last year's final game against Canberra, El Masri now has the special chance to overtake Johns before his home crowd.
"I needed 14 points to break the record (in Canberra), but to be honest it probably wasn't the time or place for it to happen," he admitted.
"Don't get me wrong - I didn't want to miss four goals. I felt terrible and was still disappointed for weeks afterwards.
"But in the end, this achievement deserves something better. It was also an away game and I'd love nothing more to break the record at home in front of Bulldogs fans."

Johns Magic

Referee
Can we just give him the record so he pisses off?

Letting him get the record's the only reason they still pick him. It's pathetic.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Can we just give him the record so he pisses off?

Letting him get the record's the only reason they still pick him. It's pathetic.
In Hazems defence, he's scored the most tries for the Bulldogs. You don't score 145 tries for 1 club just by being a good goal kicker. He is also a talented player. YES he is not as good as he used to be (as hard as it is to believe, that's what age does to you) but he's still worthy of playing for our club. Maybe he wouldn't make the Brisbane, Melbourne or Manly team, but at our club, the Bulldogs, he's there.

Johns Magic

Referee
In Hazems defence, he's scored the most tries for the Bulldogs. You don't score 145 tries for 1 club just by being a good goal kicker. He is also a talented player. YES he is not as good as he used to be (as hard as it is to believe, that's what age does to you) but he's still worthy of playing for our club. Maybe he wouldn't make the Brisbane, Melbourne or Manly team, but at our club, the Bulldogs, he's there.

2. Nanai
5. Utai

Both better players

Pathetic alright JM if it wasn't for the records up for grabs and the backlash the club would have copped from their fans he would have definately been released this year.

Charlie124

First Grade
Two knights fans whinging that Hazem is about to break druggos record, what a surprise.

Danish

Referee
The bloke should have been ditched at last contract time.

There is no doubting his commitment to the club and his sheer passion has seen him pull off some excellent defensive plays etc but on the whole he is simply outclassed in a competition that has evolved well past a man of his size and skill level.

He'll be dropped a few rounds in I'd say after the record is secured and will be released to go play french/japanese/zimbabwean rugby union. It will be listed as a massive coo for the tweed jacket brigade

Bulldog Force

Referee
Pathetic alright JM if it wasn't for the records up for grabs and the backlash the club would have copped from their fans he would have definately been released this year.
Really? Tell me why then is it that Daniel Dropsworth has not been released yet? After his pathetic 2008 season, many Bulldogs fans wanted his blood.

ByRd

First Grade
On ya Haz. Hope you prove all these haters wrong. You deserve the record and in 9 games time, you will be the first Bulldog player to reach the 300 mark going along with all your other records.

He was hampered last year and playing in a pathetic outfit, it was no surprise he didnt play his best (like the rest of the team). This year with a fresh start, a good off season and better players around him, people should just wait and watch the first few wks before commenting.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
If he does break the record, I bet he would have the decency to turn up to the presentation after the match.

tdawg

Juniors
size has nothing to do with it. you can be small but still be just as talented as anyone else. less than 2 years ago he starred in an origin game 3 but now his age is catching up with him. matt utai would have never made origin even if he was eligible. i think el masri still has one more year left in him.

Last edited: