What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it racist to cheer against the Indigenous team?

Eels Dude

Coach
Serious question.

I ask this because I'm not indigenous so I feel no reason to cheer for them. But I also feel no need to cheer for the All Stars teams because they are a mix of different cultures, nationalities and clubs and they really don't represent anything as a whole except the individual players. Basically what I'm getting at is there comes an uncomfortable feeling with cheering against the indigenous side.

In most ways it's a celebration of the indigenous roots of rugby league in Australia but in other ways it can come across as it's just promoting an 'us vs them' culture especially if the game takes off and becomes something big like SOO. Tjis question isn't meant to be demeaning, just wondering what people's thoughts are.

bartman

Immortal
With games like this (where I have no basis for any loyalty), I usually end up cheering for the underdogs... so c'mon the Indigenous All Stars!

Is it racist not to? I personally don't reckon so, but others might I guess? Though I get what you mean about the match potentially creating an us v them vibe...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is it racist to cheer against any country playing Australia? Of course not, you cheer who you want and as long as your not jeering the other side because of their colour or creed then no it isn't racist!

The gam eis supposed to be a celebration of both Aboriginal influence on the game and also the stars of our game, I think it is a good concept and not an us and them thing at all. It is a celebration at the end of the day.

Eels Dude

Coach
Thanks for a sensible response bartman. I do the same when I watch games between neautral teams. But yeah I think was thinking of along the lines of it gets as big as SOO like some people would like. The rivalry between NSW and QLD, despite the hate talk it's all fun in love and war.

IanG

Coach
It's the one game of the year where I can watch and be completly impartial to be honest. I don't mind who wins because you know you'll get a cracker

It depends on your motive. If you're cheering against them because they're indigenous I would consider it racist. If you're cheering against them because of some other reason (you backed the other team, you like the players in the other team better, etc) I wouldn't consider it racist.

Silent Knight

First Grade
I've been to the previous 2 Indigenous All Star games and I'm going to the one in just over a week's time. I find myself cheering on the Indigenous team because I've been surrounded on each occasion by some fairly passionate Indigenous supporters. I just get caught up with how much this game means to them and (as always) I'll find myself cheering for the underdog.

But most of all I'm just happy the Rugby League drought is over at the beginning of each February.

woodyk2

First Grade
Rascism is depriving a race against education,health care,employment etc etc. Name calling be it a skippy,towelhead,coon etc is just name calling....not rascism. Cheer against them all you want.

franklin2323

Immortal
It depends on your motive. If you're cheering against them because they're indigenous I would consider it racist. If you're cheering against them because of some other reason (you backed the other team, you like the players in the other team better, etc) I wouldn't consider it racist.

Spot on. I am not cheering for the indigenous team because of what they represent but the fact Daley is a knob & no Panthers players.

bobmar28

Bench
It couldn't be considered racist to cheer for the NRL All Stars because about 1/3 of the team are Pacific Islanders.

POPEYE

Coach
It's only racist if that's the way you think. I prefer footy off the cuff rather than structured and like to watch the most naturally gifted players on the planet doing just that.

Now, if it was bibles against textbooks that's another matter

gronkathon

First Grade
I am cheering for no injuries and happy to have a drink with mates and celebrate that League is almost back for the season.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
I cheer for the indigenous all stars because I like the concept and I prefer the players in their team not because of their skin colour but their flair. Don't think it's racist to cheer against them though and I don't think it will ever reach the heights of origin because it's more of a celebration of a culture than it is a clash of rivalry. I don't think it will become a racist game either because of the fact that the NRL all stars team isn't all white.

Sgt. Kabukiman

Juniors
I just think it's garbage that rugby league - a sport that has never had problems with racism and is one of the most inclusive sports in history - has a marquee game involving a team chosen along racial lines. The All Stars game can get f**ked.