What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it starting to mean more and more now?

nöyd

Staff member
Eelementary said:
And for the record, even with 5 seconds sleft I was screaming myself hoarse - me and my cousin and my sister, who by that stage, were the only ones screaming and cheering, TRYING to lift the boys.

Your dedication is to be applauded mate, wish I was there with you, even in hindsight.

shiftysmith

Juniors
i see where your coming from,but i dont want to put to much pressure on him but tim smith will be better for whats happened this year,there is only one halfback in the comp that can still win his side a match without his forward pack dominating and thats johns,but every other half back struggles without forwards winning the battle...i think smith will learn how to still have an impact on games even if our forwards are struggling

I don't want to sound like a doomsdayer but one concern is that we'll be ANOTHER year down the track...doesn't necessarily mean wiser but I can't help but think of all of these missed opportunities...the core are starting to get up there.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Parranöyd said:
Your dedication is to be applauded mate, wish I was there with you, even in hindsight.

Thanks, mate.

We felt like fools - when 3 people are cheering, it's not loud enough to make an impact.

There were a groupf of Cowboys fans around us, and we figured, "Hell, the match is over - but at least let's try to drown out the Cowboys cheers and show them that this is Eels territory!"

Alas, it didn't work lol.

nöyd

Staff member
Eelementary said:
Thanks, mate.

We felt like fools - when 3 people are cheering, it's not loud enough to make an impact.

There were a groupf of Cowboys fans around us, and we figured, "Hell, the match is over - but at least let's try to drown out the Cowboys cheers and show them that this is Eels territory!"

Alas, it didn't work lol.

Can't bag a guy for tryin' lol

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's obvious to me that Tim is outrageously talented.

A true prodigy.

I just hope that: (1) he doesn't suffer from second-year syndrome; and (2) our staff can find a way to take some pressure off him.

Because although in my mind we lost the game (the Cowboys didn't win - the Eels lost), they did put a lot of pressure on Tim and they nullified his advantages.

I hope he'll be better off for it.

And the other concern of mine is the crowd.

We need to get loud - whether we're in front, tied or behind. We need to get loud. It really does help .

Trust me - for all you soccer fans, when I lived in Barcelona we went to Camp Nou (Barcelona's home ground) to watch a local derby between Futbol Club de Barcelona and Espanyol (the second Barcelona-based team).

Now that stadium hols what - about 80 000 fans or so? Maybe even more, i don't remember.

It was packed. And the fan distribution would have been about 50%.

But the FC Barcelona fans were LOUD - every time they defended, every time they made a break, every time the ref made a call...There was a LOT of noise made.

I just feel that we need to cheer at all times - as a sportsman (or former sportsman) myself, I appreciate it immensely when the fans noticed we were struggling and did their utmost to cheer us on. It really lifts you.

We need to learn to be loud when we're down, as well as when we're up.

goboggo

Juniors
Eelementary said:

A true prodigy.

I just hope that: (1) he doesn't suffer from second-year syndrome; and (2) our staff can find a way to take some pressure off him.

Because although in my mind we lost the game (the Cowboys didn't win - the Eels lost), they did put a lot of pressure on Tim and they nullified his advantages.

Don't worry bro - he will be.
I watched the tape yesterday in an attempt to get over the misery by wallowing in it, and you know what - Timmy played all right. His first kick to Grothe was a tad too big, and could have seen the game go in a totally different direction. After that, he continued to find players with passes like he always does, but they either a) dropped it or b) got in each others way (Robbo/Stringer). After he came back on he was still delivering great cut-out passes and finding the right man. He didn't choke like some of the guys, and he has shown himself to be an extremely quick learner.

He has really already gone through second-year-syndrome due to the pressure teams have been placing on him since about the halfway mark of the comp, and he is learning to deal with it better every game. He will kill it next year - he'll be even better. And I bet he can't wait for the finals.

We need to get loud - whether we're in front, tied or behind. We need to get loud. It really does help .
Agreed. But don't you reckon Telstra stadium played a part in this. People were chanting, but that place is such a cavern that you can't really get in sync with anyone except the few people around you. Makes it hard if it's not full. We have come from behind plenty of times at Parra Stadium.

bartman

Immortal
While ending a season like that is not positive for anyone involved, I think it might actually help a young talented player like Tim grow and move to the next level. Sure we need forwards to do their jobs, but Tim will only rise to his apparent potential if his confidence grows to a stage where he doesn't need "protection".

Sometimes you only gain extra confidence or motivation to improve by being exposed? We were outplayed in one vital game. It's happened before four years ago, but with mostly different players. We don't need massive changes when you look back at our performance across the season, we have the players. Let's support these guys and see if they can grow from it, and be at their best for three vital games in a row and win at the end of next season!

we have missed our best opportunity ever. Think of it we only had to beat the cowboys, than west tigers, how easy would have this been. This will come back and haunt us every year in finals time till we finally win a premiership. I personally think the boys were thinking of grand final week and did not respect the ball or their oppontents. I just cant believe that we stayed on Zero. I wake up every morning and still think its a dream, but unfortunately its not.

Eelementary said:

A true prodigy.

Trust me - for all you soccer fans, when I lived in Barcelona we went to Camp Nou (Barcelona's home ground) to watch a local derby between Futbol Club de Barcelona and Espanyol (the second Barcelona-based team).

Now that stadium hols what - about 80 000 fans or so? Maybe even more, i don't remember.

It was packed. And the fan distribution would have been about 50%.

But the FC Barcelona fans were LOUD - every time they defended, every time they made a break, every time the ref made a call...There was a LOT of noise made.

I just feel that we need to cheer at all times - as a sportsman (or former sportsman) myself, I appreciate it immensely when the fans noticed we were struggling and did their utmost to cheer us on. It really lifts you.

We need to learn to be loud when we're down, as well as when we're up.

He is not another Over rated ANASTA who only had One good year and suffered 2nd 3rd 4th year Syndromes. Our kid has attitude he was the only one that looked like doing anything. He was let down on Sunday by our backrowers and a few other forwards.

Eelementary

Post Whore
goboggo said:
Don't worry bro - he will be.
I watched the tape yesterday in an attempt to get over the misery by wallowing in it, and you know what - Timmy played all right. His first kick to Grothe was a tad too big, and could have seen the game go in a totally different direction. After that, he continued to find players with passes like he always does, but they either a) dropped it or b) got in each others way (Robbo/Stringer). After he came back on he was still delivering great cut-out passes and finding the right man. He didn't choke like some of the guys, and he has shown himself to be an extremely quick learner.

He has really already gone through second-year-syndrome due to the pressure teams have been placing on him since about the halfway mark of the comp, and he is learning to deal with it better every game. He will kill it next year - he'll be even better. And I bet he can't wait for the finals.

Agreed. But don't you reckon Telstra stadium played a part in this. People were chanting, but that place is such a cavern that you can't really get in sync with anyone except the few people around you. Makes it hard if it's not full. We have come from behind plenty of times at Parra Stadium.

That's a really well thought out post.

And I agree with everything.

Regarding the crowd and Telstra Stadium - yes, it probably did play a part.

But I noticed that even during Manly's mini-fightback against us, the crowd went silent (or very quiet) until we were close enough to score.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Jake the snake said:
He is not another Over rated ANASTA who only had One good year and suffered 2nd 3rd 4th year Syndromes. Our kid has attitude he was the only one that looked like doing anything. He was let down on Sunday by our backrowers and a few other forwards.

That's probably true, Jake.

Timmy has skills and a great attitude.

But look at Afamasaga - OK, so he played in a game where we were slaughtered in every facet.

But from what I was told, he didn't exactly stand out in Premier League this year.

I just hope that this doesn't happen to Tim.

Also, he may be less effective next year because teams will know what he's capable of, and target him more heavily.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Eelementary said:
That's probably true, Jake.

Timmy has skills and a great attitude.

But look at Afamasaga - OK, so he played in a game where we were slaughtered in every facet.

But from what I was told, he didn't exactly stand out in Premier League this year.

I just hope that this doesn't happen to Tim.

Also, he may be less effective next year because teams will know what he's capable of, and target him more heavily.

Jack has always a bit of a history of attitude problem even the year before last where he was turning out for Guildford, However you won't have that sort of Problem with Tim.

Suitman

Post Whore
Eelementary said:

campnou.jpg

It Holds around 110 000 Eelementary.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
That is the most awesome looking stadium in the world. No question.
And yes, that is what Telstra should have been like.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
You havent seen the new stadium in Munich, suity?

Not the capacity of the Nou Camp, holds 66,000.

They've got a great ability to light the stadium from the outside, red when Bayern are playing and sky blue when its an 1860 munich home match. It looks brilliant.

Kornstar

Coach
I too re-watched the game and i must say Timmy did nothing wrong, Morris is another story, Piggy tried his a$$ off as well!!!

I am not sure what to do with Morris as i think we need a 5/8th who is a real 5/8th, or they really need to work on his game in the off-season, he has talent but i am not sure that is his best position. Is Morris too small for Lock? If Blake Green can realise his talent, then i think he could really step up but his second half of the year has been poor. I saw Green win us games single handedly this year, the reason we nearly beat the Dragons at Parra was thanks to Green, just he fell off, i hear that he doesn't get on with Matt Cameron, i hope we don't lose him cause of that tool........

What about PJ at 5/8th? It would be interesting to see how he would go? Then he would get 80 mins on the field too.......

Suitman

Post Whore
fish eel said:
You havent seen the new stadium in Munich, suity?

Not the capacity of the Nou Camp, holds 66,000.

They've got a great ability to light the stadium from the outside, red when Bayern are playing and sky blue when its an 1860 munich home match. It looks brilliant.

I have seen it actually. Looked up a few web sites a couple of weeks ago.
Its very impressive indeed.

The Nou Camp is just such a monstrocity.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
Suitman said:
campnou.jpg

It Holds around 110 000 Eelementary.

Suity

Also, their training ground is just out of picture on the bottom right hand corner where the ramps are heading- and it holds almost 20,000!!!

Suity

Latest posts