What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it worth getting a PS 2 pack for Christmas?

Seagullsrock

Juniors
I am sure you have all seen them. They are about $270. Is it worth getting one? I have kinda always wanted one but they have been too expensive? Your thoughts?

gaterooze

Bench
Poor deal IMO. The games you get are only worth $25 new on their own.

The price should drop a fair bit in the new year, when the X360 comes out here.

Caged Panther

First Grade
PS2 Hot Pack

Console $247
Ratche & Clank 3 $29.95
Grand Turismo 3 $29.95
Memory Card $49.95
Extra Controller $49.95

Cost if Purchased Seperately $407 approx

Available for about $270-290

Xbox Pack

Console $247
Halo 2 $69.99
Forza Motorsport $69.99

$390 total value available for about $280

Personally I would stay well clear of the xbox the fact that xbox 360 will be availalble next year tells me that within 18months any serious software support for it will have dried up.

Not only is the PS2 pack better value in terms of value with the PS3 not likely to see the light of day in australia before 2007 (late 2006 at the earliest) I'd expect to see software support for about another 2.5 years

Caged Panther

First Grade
hybrid_tiger said:
Don't buy any console now.

Wait for the new ones, you're just wasting your money.

if money is not an issue than certainly I agree with you 100% but the fact is alot of people dont have a spare $800 odd to spend on a games machine that being the case I think this is a good offer to take advantage of.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I wouldn't, just personally.

The Gran Turismo series has gone dowhill since GT2 IMO. And Ratchet and Clank is fun for 10 minutes.

They're both Platinum now anyways, and worth like 25 bucks apiece.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
I am not really getting it for the games. I do not really want to buy a new console as they are too expensive and will have to wait too long for them to become cheap.

Big Pete

Referee
It's a good deal IMO.

Most of the good games are now $30-$50.

Considering the newer consoles will cost an absolute fortune when they release and will at least until a year a PS2 is a good buy and should last you awhile.

So IMO get it, lots of great games for good prices.

gaterooze

Bench
If money's tight, look in the paper, eBay or a pawn shop. You can get PS2s or Xboxes for $150 and games from $10 each.

Could also try EB Games, they regularly have second-hand systems for cheap which will have a limited warranty. Then buy a couple of good, cheap games (e.g. you could get the two games in the Hot Pack for $10-$15 each used).

Even better -- get a brand new Gamecube from Kmart for $99. It's more powerful than the PS2, has some amazing titles, and you can pick up games dirt cheap on eBay.

McLovin

Staff member
I say wait two months for a xbox 360. But if it's for xmas, then go for it. It seems like a good deal...

MC DUI

Juniors
It's a fairly good deal, there are a good amount of games around for the PS2.

Just get a modchip installed once you buy it and then all your software will be free. :p

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Don't get the hot pack get the Buzz pack. Myer have it for $269 and Target will match the price as long as Myer still has stock.

gaterooze

Bench
Kmart just dropped their Xbox pack (with Halo 2 + Forza Motorsports) to $229 -- pretty good value, although it could drop further early next year.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
I was surprised but my mum ended up getting the PS2 pack and bouight an extra 3 games for me to play. Have been playing them non-stop since 5:00pm whn Christmas parties were over.

Latest posts