What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Latrell Mitchell overrated?

As thread title

• Yes

Votes: 70 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 17.6%

• Total voters

jack coburn

Juniors
As was said earlier i think the media is to blame for this.
Just watch any souths game and the circle jerk over a cut out pass by him compared to other players say's it all.

When he decides to have a dig he can do anything but that's only when he decides.
Mitchell throws a pass assist and it's "what a brillaint play Mitchell is just magic"
If Gutho throw's the same pass it's " Good pass from Gutho to set the winger up"
To me the Media is to blame for being labelled overrated and nothing else.

To me the Media is to blame for being labelled overrated and nothing else.

You probably could say that about any player being "over rated". When I look back on my past, and my near visceral hatred of Wally Lewis in his playing days, I realised it was because of how the media carried on about him being the best thing since sliced bread than for any p[articular actions he did on the field. Yes, Wally was a great player, but the way the media portrayed him during State of Origin it was like he was the second coming of Jesus attitude the media used that is what annoyed me.

jack coburn

Juniors
Fair call . There's a litany of players over the years who the Media has absolutely slaughtered by overrating them.
Seems' to be that we all need player's to love and Player's to hate and the media decides which players that is.

You probably could say that about any player being "over rated". When I look back on my past, and my near visceral hatred of Wally Lewis in his playing days, I realised it was because of how the media carried on about him being the best thing since sliced bread than for any p[articular actions he did on the field. Yes, Wally was a great player, but the way the media portrayed him during State of Origin it was like he was the second coming of Jesus attitude the media used that is what annoyed me.
Wally had no bigger arse kisser than Darrell Eastlake.

Wally had no bigger arse kisser than Darrell Eastlake.

True, but I can recall one Origin promotion for an Origin match where as part of the opening credits they had Jack Gibson "cloning" the greatest player to have them on his NSW team - and out of the chamber hopped Wally Lewis. Its stuff like that which irked me.

You could also probably point of Andrew Johns gushing comments about Mitchell Pearce in Pearce's first couple of seasons which is what lead to his "over rated" tag amongst many fans. Sometime the punditry over do it with a player and all it does is just annoy the tripe out of that people who are neutral or antipathetic towards that player's club. There are plenty of others I could cite who appears to be heading in the same direction even now (e.g. Josh Schuster).

Reflector

Juniors
Same way the media collectively sucked off $BW in 2004-05. And that's before we mention Gus any time he was commentating a Tigers game when Benji was playing...

bedlam breakout

Juniors
everything he doest fb in attack he could also do at 4 - not a fb - never anywhere to be seen when the opposition score - best centre in the world playing at fb cos souths are pandering to his babyish demands

Canard

Immortal
Not overrated, but definetly overweight.

No one wants to talk about this either, is it because they will be seen as racist? Fat shaming?

He could play for the Dolphins he is that chunky at the moment.

SpaceCow

Juniors
Gun centre, was the Kangaroos best player, not most consistent but next level.. Big body at fullback, the leg injuries are starting to catch up with him maybe.. Will Wighton go to fullback and Trell play centre?

Not overrated, but definetly overweight.

No one wants to talk about this either, is it because they will be seen as racist? Fat shaming?

He could play for the Dolphins he is that chunky at the moment.
Mate, you’ve participated in the game-day threads where Trell’s weight has become sport, haven’t you?

Munky

Coach
The commentators/media only need to use 'conditioning' when referring to Latrell.

Every man and his dog can see that Latrell is nowhere near as conditioned as Edwards or peak Teddy.