What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

giggity giggity

Juniors
Haha, honestly it's just he's the most unlikeable person in footy. He's dropped a giant fart and left the room at every club he's been at, with the smell lingering a fair while after (as evidenced this week at Parra).

Maybe it'll be different at Canberra. Maybe.

tinkler,r packer,bellamy and j reynolds say thankyou and wish there were more like you.

POPEYE

Coach
My gut instinct is he isn't the one doing the real coaching, the recruitment, or anything of any real value - someone at Canberra realised you can't let him near any of those things - so he's relegated to the speeches. Working a bit for the Raiders atm but if Ricky gets the notion its all down to him, that he's the key to it all & it goes to his head....:crazy:

Someone should tell him great coaches don't do it from the sideline . . . turns subterfuge into comic opera

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Someone should tell him great coaches don't do it from the sideline . . . turns subterfuge into comic opera

I have a mate with a great footy brain, great player in his day & his nous about the game would be up there with anyone. His ultimate experience for any game is from the side-line, walking up and down with the play - makes him feel part of it (relives the thrill I think) and he can see what needs to be done and who is doing it, well or otherwise. His biggest disappointment is not being able to do that at NRL games. He tried coaching - couldn't get what he knew through to the players and he realised pretty quick and was humble enough to admit it just wasn't his go.
The difference between him and Ricky is ego

--Storm--

Juniors
I have a mate with a great footy brain, great player in his day & his nous about the game would be up there with anyone. His ultimate experience for any game is from the side-line, walking up and down with the play - makes him feel part of it (relives the thrill I think) and he can see what needs to be done and who is doing it, well or otherwise. His biggest disappointment is not being able to do that at NRL games. He tried coaching - couldn't get what he knew through to the players and he realised pretty quick and was humble enough to admit it just wasn't his go.
The difference between him and Ricky is ego

& Ricky has bullshitted his way into a million dollar contract, I wouldn't give two f**ks if I was a shit stain I wouldn't be walking away on that kind of money.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Hmm raiders have a terrible recruitment record pre Stuart, but a good one post Stuart.

Nothing to do with Stuart says league unlimited.

bileduct

Coach
My gut instinct is he isn't the one doing the real coaching, the recruitment, or anything of any real value - someone at Canberra realised you can't let him near any of those things - so he's relegated to the speeches. Working a bit for the Raiders atm but if Ricky gets the notion its all down to him, that he's the key to it all & it goes to his head....:crazy:
This would have to be one of the dumbest posts ever.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Ricky slides blame sideways and its all about Ricky, making him an unlikeable figure a lot of the time, but I never said he was an imbecile...

I know people like that and they always have other people on their 'team' doing the work & fronting up for them - the crap will never fall on Ricky. He might make a show of taking it all but that's part of the MO.

What Ricky is good at is creating emotion - his biggest weakness and his biggest strength.
What Ricky wants Ricky is getting atm but if you think he is the one actually doing the recruiting, actually putting the game plan together and anything else other than the talk to get those things done, forget my dumb post - yours is. What Ricky actually does is just one string on the bow of the best coaches, but hey, you're allowed your opinion and me mine.
Time will tell & I'll eat craw if he's goes down as a great coach.

bileduct

Coach
You clearly know nothing about the history of the Raiders, mate. That's why your post was f**king geniused.

nick87

Coach
but if you think he is the one actually doing the recruiting, actually putting the game plan together and anything else other than the talk to get those things done, forget my dumb post - yours is. What Ricky actually does is just one string on the bow of the best coaches, but hey, you're allowed your opinion and me mine.

You can't be f**king serious can you? You honestly think a control freak like Ricky Stuart has not role in the game plan or recruitment of the team he's the HC of?

FMD. There has been some f**king ridiculous shit posted on LU, but that takes the f**king cake. :lol:

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
You can't be f**king serious can you? You honestly think a control freak like Ricky Stuart has not role in the game plan or recruitment of the team he's the HC of?

FMD. There has been some f**king ridiculous shit posted on LU, but that takes the f**king cake. :lol:

Believe whatever you want about Stuart as a coach and I'll do the same.

Raiders are going great and I've never said a word against the club or the players.

AJB1102

First Grade
Ricky slides blame sideways and its all about Ricky, making him an unlikeable figure a lot of the time, but I never said he was an imbecile...

I know people like that and they always have other people on their 'team' doing the work & fronting up for them - the crap will never fall on Ricky. He might make a show of taking it all but that's part of the MO.

What Ricky is good at is creating emotion - his biggest weakness and his biggest strength.
What Ricky wants Ricky is getting atm but if you think he is the one actually doing the recruiting, actually putting the game plan together and anything else other than the talk to get those things done, forget my dumb post - yours is. What Ricky actually does is just one string on the bow of the best coaches, but hey, you're allowed your opinion and me mine.

I doubt there is a coach in the game who rides solo on all those things you mentioned.

Rick's hit a purple patch. He did it with Cronulla in 2008. He seems to be doing it better this time round with arguably 'lesser' players. Maybe he's turned the corner. Maybe not. But as long as it works, keep it up.

He needs more than a so-so season with Canberra to even begin to even the ledger on his so far shithouse coaching career.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade

So then Ricky wasn't to fault for his end tenure at the Roosters and the Sharks? It was just the blokes underneath him?
Can't have it both ways mate. He gets the credit, good or bad.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Really hes only got the raiders heading in the right direction. He hasn't even proven much here. That said if he fails to get results I'd like him to stay at the club in some role.

Card Shark

Immortal
You boys really should beat the Dogs today!

It will be a test for him to see if they can win when expected to....or sink back to the dark old days.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Really hes only got the raiders heading in the right direction. He hasn't even proven much here. That said if he fails to get results I'd like him to stay at the club in some role.

It pains me to say it but credit needs to go to Ricky - albeit it's only round 11. A lot can happen and they're only 7th, on the same points as us and we've hardly been setting the world alight. Too early to judge, but I think they'll make the eight. They're a tough side to play.

The thing is, the problem with Ricky has often been his 3rd/4th year. As someone else said, his emotion can probably be his biggest strength and weakness. The Raiders look like they want to play for him...at the moment. The Roosters tuned out after 2 losing GFs and went waaay south. The Sharks went from equal minor premiers to almost spooners. The Kangaroos won well in 2006/07 then lost the 2008 'unlosable' World Cup.

So we'll see.

legend

Coach
Seems to be a trend there. The Raiders haven't achieved anything yet though and the season can still go either way. With no Origin representation there is no excuse for not coming out of the Origin period close to the top four for the run home to the finals.

Latest posts