What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

Ricky's a winner. People just love to give him shit cos he's a passionate person who speaks his mind (whinges). He's actually a good coach. The only coach in the past 25 years to make 3 GF's in row (legit). He's a master recruiter. I was always hopeful about Lima, but damn. Josh Hodgson - masterstroke. Austin..ahem. I like how he's recognized that Queenslanders love to run home to mummy so then can build sandcastles on the beach. Now he's targeting the North of England instead - Genius. I just hope the Raiders can get a good talent scout over here in NZ, and maybe one in the pacific islands.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Ricky's a winner. People just love to give him shit cos he's a passionate person who speaks his mind (whinges). He's actually a good coach. The only coach in the past 25 years to make 3 GF's in row (legit). He's a master recruiter. I was always hopeful about Lima, but damn. Josh Hodgson - masterstroke. Austin..ahem. I like how he's recognized that Queenslanders love to run home to mummy so then can build sandcastles on the beach. Now he's targeting the North of England instead - Genius. I just hope the Raiders can get a good talent scout over here in NZ, and maybe one in the pacific islands.

Do you believe Bennett's to not be legit?

If he misses the finals this year again, he'll be a loser. So it all remains to be seen.

I continue to also not understand why the media absolutely blow consistent smoke up his clacker. Or is it just the DT who fawn over him?

Bigfella

Coach

He's a winner.

Just one who loses a shit load more than he wins.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
^Bennett has never made 3 GF's in a row.

Bellamy has, and no I don't consider that to be legit.

In a row, missed that part my apologies.

If he doesn't achieve any success at Canberra, he can't be considered a winner. In the overall context of his career he made 3 GFs at the Roosters and won 1 (v us, lucky him) then did absolutely nothing apart from one minor prem at the Sharks. And wasn't an incredible amount more successful for NSW and certainly Australia.

In a row, missed that part my apologies.

If he doesn't achieve any success at Canberra, he can't be considered a winner. In the overall context of his career he made 3 GFs at the Roosters and won 1 (v us, lucky him) then did absolutely nothing apart from one minor prem at the Sharks. And wasn't an incredible amount more successful for NSW and certainly Australia.

You also can accuse Stuart of leaving all the teams he coached worse off when he left them than where they were when he took over as coach.

Avenger

Immortal
Ricky is still an egomaniac tool of epic proportions whose abilities as a coach and mentor are highly overrated. Can't stand the bloke. A petulant sook.

Incorrect

Coach
Ricky is still an egomaniac tool of epic proportions whose abilities as a coach and mentor are highly overrated. Can't stand the bloke. A petulant sook.

For me there's still some question marks over his coaching abilities. But I think in light of the team he is assembling now at the Raiders, and considering the useless has-beens and never were's that he punted from Parra, he makes a decent recruiter. He gave Jnr Paulo his start in the top grade and has obviously been keen to get him for a while... and based on the trajectory of Paulo's improvement so far in his NRL career, Stuart has pulled the right rein in signing him up.

--Storm--

Juniors
His been gifted the softest draw so if he doesn't make at least the 8 his shit but really he should be making the 4.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
You also can accuse Stuart of leaving all the teams he coached worse off when he left them than where they were when he took over as coach.

I could, can and will.

It may not happen with the Raiders because he seemingly cares a lot about the region. Maybe that could be the difference this time.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Most coaches do, given they're usually moved on rather than leaving of their own accord.

Its debatable he left parra in a worse position. They were anabsolute rabble when he took over, he made some good signings and moved on the deadwood.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Some do, some don't. Ivan Cleary left two clubs markedly better than when he arrived.

You could argue that Stuart didn't leave the Eels in a worse state, but he certainly didn't advance them very far nor did he stay around and complete the job, which he openly stated he was committed to. If he cleared deadwood, it only continues to suggest he is a strong recruiter, not a coach. A recruiter can have a strong one-off persuasive voice to attract players. Coaches need a lasting, ever-changing and adapting voice. Me says Ricky is the last person who has this.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Its debatable he left parra in a worse position. They were anabsolute rabble when he took over, he made some good signings and moved on the deadwood.

It’s actually pretty ideal how that worked out. Ricky comes in for one season, wipes out the deadwood and leaves. Arthur gets to come in with a clean slate and none of the resentment from the existing player group. Obviously that wasn't the plan but it panned out well for all parties IMO.

Now they just need to sort their board out.