What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is St George Illawarra Still A Joint Venture Club

st penguin

Juniors

This Smith guy sounds AMAZING:

"Smith mightn’t have the public profile of the Gordon family but he is highly regarded in the world of sports business. Apart from growing up and now living on the South Coast, as well as being a life-long Dragons fan, he would’ve brought decades of expertise to the NRL. Which, to be honest, it needs more of."

And he's sooooo humble:

"The fact that Smith’s interest in the Dragons has never been reported shows he’s not one for grandstanding. He declined to comment when contacted."

Sounds like Smith is pissed off and leaked to the press. If I was a Steelers director I could understand preferring WIN (who they worked with for over 40 years) instead of a lifelong dragons fan who they dont know.

I am over it, I was in fact happy and excited when it happened.
The media were saying a new super club was born, one that would surpass the Broncos. We combined the two teams and got to the GF. I really thought the days of gold had come.

Then it dawned on me during 2000, 2001 and even 2002 that Illawarra had no idea how to win and that we would be reduced to their level.
And it has happened.

That’s what I can’t stand.
The bog averageness of everything Illawarra.
In hindsight I wish we had followed Souths' lead and stood firm as St. George.
Out of all the clubs that could have merged (for whatever reason) we should not have been one of them.
We got sucked in big time and the result is there for everyone to see.
It was a decision made in haste and for the benefit of Illawarra, not St. George.
Even if we had to endure some lean years, "St. George" would have survived and probably flourished under private ownership.
We don't need the Illawarra identity and the politics that has dragged down the club for years now.
I read an article in the Herald yesterday about the WIN deal that made my heart sink.
There was an under bidder to WIN who seems to have offered a better deal and a new (non factional) direction for the club.
It looks like they were dicked around and ultimately the whole deal was predetermined.
One of the points the article made is that St. George Fans were frustrated because they had no say in the way the club was being run.
Well it looks like we're in for more of the same.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-10...s-choose-the-right-buyer-20180830-p500uo.html

hazzbeen

Bench
Out of all the clubs that could have merged (for whatever reason) we should not have been one of them.
It was a decision made in haste and for the benefit of Illawarra, not St. George.
Even if we had to endure some lean years, "St. George" would have survived and probably flourished under private ownership.
We don't need the Illawarra identity and the politics that has dragged down the club for years now.
I read an article in the Herald yesterday about the WIN deal that made my heart sink.
There was an under bidder to WIN who seems to have offered a better deal and a new (non factional) direction for the club.
It looks like they were dicked around and ultimately the whole deal was predetermined.
One of the points the article made is that St. George Fans were frustrated because they had no say in the way the club was being run.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-10...s-choose-the-right-buyer-20180830-p500uo.html
Sad but true , the boys Club has become toxic , can't see too much changing with the Win take over ....

Saintsified

Bench
Our governance is nothing less than communism, fascism, totalitarian run>>>>>>pick one.

merahputih

Juniors
Looks like the appointment of a management consultant at great expence to search the world for an elite CEO was all smoke and mirrors. Johnston did not even throw his hat in the ring for the job, probably being told the job was his as part of the deal between the Kogarah & Illawarra factions.

There’s some interesting questions raised in that article that require some answers from the board.
Enough of this “in confidence” rubbish.
Tell us how much WIN paid?
Where the money goes?
Was the other offer higher?
Why was Johnston “selected” to be the CEO despite not applying and being on the committee to find the new CEO.
Why did we spend “tens of thousands” on a recruitment firm if we were always going to select Johnston?
Did the NRL step in and demand WIN be the partner to retain the illusion of a JV?
Does WIN expect a dividend on its investment?

As club members we have a right to know these answers.

Just as an added note to those saying Bruce Gordon is a billionaire and wouldn’t invest in a loss making enterprise.

The Sharkies, playing well, top four finish, own home ground which is attracting crowds of 18-20 thousand every second weekend, premiers two years ago.

On track to make a $4 million dollar loss this year, despite getting $13 million from the NRL.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Just as an added note to those saying Bruce Gordon is a billionaire and wouldn’t invest in a loss making enterprise.

The Sharkies, playing well, top four finish, own home ground which is attracting crowds of 18-20 thousand every second weekend, premiers two years ago.

On track to make a $4 million dollar loss this year, despite getting $13 million from the NRL.
Good thing he didn’t invest in Cronulla then..

st penguin

Juniors

Cronulla home crowds aren't even that good this year...

11,836 Rugby League NRL: Sharks v Knights
12,270 Rugby League NRL: Sharks v Cowboys
13,273 Rugby League NRL: Sharks v Sea Eagles
10,016 Rugby League NRL: Sharks v Raiders
14,587 Rugby League NRL: Sharks v Broncos
13,093 Rugby League NRL: Sharks v Tigers
14,004 Rugby League NRL: Sharks v Bulldogs
12,073 Rugby League NRL: Sharks v Eels
12,677 Rugby League NRL: Sharks v Panthers
11,855 Rugby League NRL: Sharks v Roosters

The article is pretty vague as to whether the $10M was offered for the whole licence or merely Illawarra's 50%. Illawarra was entitled to sell it's share to whomever it wished to.

WIN effectively paid $10M for its 50%.

$5.8M to the NRL on behalf of Illawarra, with the balance to Illawarra, probably in exchange for debt already owed to WIN.

There is no suggestion that the other buyer offered more.

His complaint is Illawarra was never seriously interested in selling its 50% to Smith.

What the article implies is that Smith knows how to run a sports business and that Gordon doesn't.

Have to agree with Smith, Gordon has no idea how to run a sports business, then again either do the unprofessional board members appointed on behalf of St George football club.

So in reality we have the perfect marriage of incompetent management groups.

Little wonder the torches and pitchforks have surfaced.

As fans we deserve better.

The article is pretty vague as to whether the $10M was offered for the whole licence or merely Illawarra's 50%. Illawarra was entitled to sell it's share to whomever it wished to.

WIN effectively paid $10M for its 50%.

$5.8M to the NRL on behalf of Illawarra, with the balance to Illawarra, probably in exchange for debt already owed to WIN.

There is no suggestion that the other buyer offered more.

His complaint is Illawarra was never seriously interested in selling its 50% to Smith.

What the article implies is that Smith knows how to run a sports business and that Gordon doesn't.

Have to agree with Smith, Gordon has no idea how to run a sports business, then again either do the unprofessional board members appointed on behalf of St George football club.

So in reality we have the perfect marriage of incompetent management groups.

Little wonder the torches and pitchforks have surfaced.

As fans we deserve better.

“The mystery bidder who missed out on part-ownership of St George Illawarra can finally be revealed amid claims he offered $5 million more than Bruce Gordon’s WIN Corporation“

I think that’s pretty plain. “Part ownership” and “$5 million more”

Again, not really the point, if the Sharks are losing $4 million this year, making a loss along with almost every other club. How does Gordon get a return on his investment?

st penguin

Juniors
“The mystery bidder who missed out on part-ownership of St George Illawarra can finally be revealed amid claims he offered $5 million more than Bruce Gordon’s WIN Corporation“

I think that’s pretty plain. “Part ownership” and “$5 million more”

That's vague

possm

Coach
This Smith guy sounds AMAZING:

"Smith mightn’t have the public profile of the Gordon family but he is highly regarded in the world of sports business. Apart from growing up and now living on the South Coast, as well as being a life-long Dragons fan, he would’ve brought decades of expertise to the NRL. Which, to be honest, it needs more of."

And he's sooooo humble:

"The fact that Smith’s interest in the Dragons has never been reported shows he’s not one for grandstanding. He declined to comment when contacted."

Sounds like Smith is pissed off and leaked to the press. If I was a Steelers director I could understand preferring WIN (who they worked with for over 40 years) instead of a lifelong dragons fan who they dont know.

I don't understand why Doust has not asked him to provide TPA funds. Same goes ro WIN before they become an owner. All along we have at least two big companies who follow the Dragons but no one approaches them to help us keep up with the Broncos, Rorters and Storm in the player recruitment market.

Does anyone believe Johnstone will have the courage to ask player manages to negotiate like the do for the above clubs.