What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Swannies media coverage in Sydney justified?

Is the Swannies current media coverage in Sydney justified?

• Yes

Votes: 83 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • No real opinion

Votes: 15 8.3%

• Total voters

Big Bunny

Juniors
B-dos said:
Geez your wife hasnt heard of him so the whole of Sydney must not have heard of him either. Yeah...

AFL and the Swans are very very popular all around Sydney and NSW. The fact that this is a league forum may have a bit to do with the fact that some people here hate AFL and have never heard of Barry Hall.

The Swans are a hugely supported team throughout NSW because people tend to support the NSW team above any other team and fair enough. They have many more fans than most people think.

I'm sorry but that's just not true. Nobody outside of Sydney gives a damn about the Swans. Nobody in the Central West cares to watch it, in Newcastle it's a dot on the horizon, it's on par with gridiron for popularity on the North Coast and the only place it really gets a look in is pockets of the Riverina, where it's still not a dominant code.

Don't pretend to know what us people outside of Sydney care about, because you've obviously little idea.

B-dos

Referee
Big Bunny said:
I'm sorry but that's just not true. Nobody outside of Sydney gives a damn about the Swans. Nobody in the Central West cares to watch it, in Newcastle it's a dot on the horizon, it's on par with gridiron for popularity on the North Coast and the only place it really gets a look in is pockets of the Riverina, where it's still not a dominant code.

Don't pretend to know what us people outside of Sydney care about, because you've obviously little idea.

Sorry mate, being from Newcastle myself i think i have a little authority when it comes to representing people outside of Sydney. Go and stick your head back in the sand.

I have many many friends who follow both league and AFL among other sports.

Dont pretend to know what other people think when you obviously only listen to your own bullsh*t.

Big Bunny

Juniors
B-dos said:
Sorry mate, being from Newcastle myself i think i have a little authority when it comes to representing people outside of Sydney. Go and stick your head back in the sand.

Dont pretend to know what other people think when you obviously only listen to your own bullsh*t.

I lived in Newcastle for 10 years and the interest there in the Swans is minimal just as it is everywhere else in the state. Your brutal ignorance to that fact and that you have trouble arranging sentences without ending them with expletives shows you up as the stupid little cretin that you are. Now run along.

B-dos said:
Geez your wife hasnt heard of him so the whole of Sydney must not have heard of him either. Yeah...

AFL and the Swans are very very popular all around Sydney and NSW. The fact that this is a league forum may have a bit to do with the fact that some people here hate AFL and have never heard of Barry Hall.

The Swans are a hugely supported team throughout NSW because people tend to support the NSW team above any other team and fair enough. They have many more fans than most people think.

Because we live in a league dominated state we dont really have too much media on the Swans but all the hype lately in the news and on the TV is completley justified given that they have made the grand final.

I for one cant wait until Saturday for a great day of footy. Swans in the arvo followed by the Tigers and Dragons that night. Any self respecting sports fan must be the same.

So, why did their home semi, live in prime-time two weeks ago rate just over 200,000 in Sydney?

That's 1/2 a normal delayed Friday Night League rating.

Popular my left knacker. They're only popular with bandwagoners and they have to be pretty much the favourite for the comp for the bandwagon to kick in.

B-dos said:

hahahahahaha

AFL popular in Newcastle?

Seriously, do you go under the nic BigBadSharksFan on even days?

B-dos

Referee
Big Bunny said:
I lived in Newcastle for 10 years and the interest there in the Swans is minimal just as it is everywhere else in the state. Your brutal ignorance to that fact and that you have trouble arranging sentences without ending them with expletives shows you up as the stupid little cretin that you are. Now run along.

So is disagreeing with you "brutal ignorance"? I prefer to call it a difference of opinion, of which i am entitled. Please dont talk down to me as though you are in some way superior.

In your other post you made such broad generalisations and accused me of having no idea what im talking about, which lead me to make the comment about you only listening to your own bullsh*t. Again you make generalisations when you say i cannot arrange a sentence without ending them with expletives.

I was only presenting my opinion that AFL is much more popular around NSWS than many people on this forum try to tell us and I never tried to pass off my opinions as fact which you have tried to do.

B-dos

Referee
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
hahahahahaha

AFL popular in Newcastle?

Seriously, do you go under the nic BigBadSharksFan on even days?

What are you talking about mate?

no.5_luke covell said:
your kidding. im not an afl fan but i can recognise how big this game is for sydney.

barry hall is very well known in sydney, even before this.

about as well known as Covell would be outside his little fan club

gaterooze

Bench
I was born in Newcastle and have lived all over the Hunter for 27 years. AFL has never had more than off-hand curioisty here.

Last time the Swans were in the GF, people would ask if they won, the same way they asked if the Waratahs won the Super 12. That's about as far as it goes. It's not actively "bashed" here, simply because no one cares enough.

If League had an interest level of 10, Union would be a 1.5 and AFL a 1.

Glenn

First Grade
Back on topic, the media coverage is justified IMHO
For a Sydney team to make the biggest game of the year in a National Competition (I know in Sydney & Bris it doesn't rate TV wise, but nationally more often than not the figures outstrip the League)

Big Bunny

Juniors
B-dos said:
So is disagreeing with you "brutal ignorance"? I prefer to call it a difference of opinion, of which i am entitled. Please dont talk down to me as though you are in some way superior.

In my first post I replied to what was clearly a generalisation from someone who truly lacks any grasp of this states interest. If you're going to post such ridiculous comments then expect them to be challenged. I've lived all over NSW - Northern Rivers, Newcastle, Riverina and the Central West. I know each area like the back of my hand so to read your comments that clearly come from a personal point of view and from what appears to be a narrow band view of the state, then yes I'll talk to you in the same way you've talked to every other person. I don't consider myself superior to anyone on this site, but it's not my problem if you feel threatened by my ability to string a sentence together that refutes any of the rubbish that you post.

In your other post you made such broad generalisations and accused me of having no idea what im talking about, which lead me to make the comment about you only listening to your own bullsh*t. Again you make generalisations when you say i cannot arrange a sentence without ending them with expletives.

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Here you're addressing what you consider to be generalisations, yet I base my opinion not only on ratings figures, how media coverage is developed, conversations throughout the state and a lifetime spent outside of the state capital and there are numerous stats that support my view. If you want me to address you in another way and with more detail supporting my views in a first post then it's up to you to lift your game, because your general opinion is no less a generalisation than anything else posted on this thread, only that your behaviour when replying not only to me, but others is pock marked by foul language and that hardly warrants giving you more time than you've already eaten into.

I was only presenting my opinion that AFL is much more popular around NSWS than many people on this forum try to tell us and I never tried to pass off my opinions as fact which you have tried to do.

Rubbish. Read what you said:

"Sorry mate, being from Newcastle myself i think i have a little authority when it comes to representing people outside of Sydney. Go and stick your head back in the sand."

and..

"The Swans are a hugely supported team throughout NSW because people tend to support the NSW team above any other team and fair enough. They have many more fans than most people think."

Nowhere in either of those paragraphs did you qualify them as a personal opinion rather than pure fact. It's also clear as day that you believe the Swans to be "hugely supported team throughout NSW."

I'm done replying to your back peddling.

RiotAct

Juniors
it's a sissy game for sure, but it's still good to see melbourne get owned at their own game. Go the Swannies

ucantseeme

Juniors
I dont like having trivial AFL stories on the front page of the newspaper EVERY day. i understand that they are in the GF but surely that cant justifiy that saturation coverage by the Telegraph. I feel those "our swannies" and "our barry" headlines as presumptuous and manipulative. Advertising as opposed to reporting.

If the Tigers beat the Dragons and the Swans lose to whoever then the Sunday Telegraph better have one of those "our Tigers" stories dominating the front page otherwise i will be the first person on this forum starting a "This is total Bullshweppes" post.

Seriously, no one at work talks about the Swans game, i dont hear anyone on the train to work discussing it & when i look over the shoulder of someone reading a newspaper it is always on a NRL story.

iggy plop

First Grade
RiotAct said:
it's a sissy game for sure, but it's still good to see melbourne get owned at their own game. Go the Swannies

By a team that just about every Melbournian will be cheering for anyway. Melbourne people want St Melbourne to beat the Perth team. I hardly see how that's sticking it to them.

If pissing the Vics off is what you're then you'd better cheer for the West Coast.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
OK. Players don't come from Sydney. So freakin what?

Do all the players from every NRL club come from their respective locations? Give it a bone.

Sydney is a NSW team. Yes they have ties to Vic, so what. Their headquarters, their logo, their ground, their support, it's majority in Sydney.

You people are a bitter bunch.

iggy plop

First Grade
waltzing Meninga said:
Do you live in a shell?? I respect your opinion that AFL is inferior to the NRL - in many ways it is, but we have to accept this sport is huge in Australia and SaturDAY is a big event in NSW/Sydney's sporting history, whether you like it or not.

Gee a lot of Melbournians must also live in shell. The most insular footy followers in the country.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
iggy plop said:
Gee a lot of Melbournians must also live in shell. The most insular footy followers in the country.

That's rich coming from the most insular and hate-filled league fan of our era. You just pipped Weasels Ripped my Flesh at the post. :lol: