What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It’s D-day for Daniel

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I dont think the Bulldogs are looking for KK or Morts, its solely Mateo. They have Kimmorley, Blake Green (whom I still rate very highly), Ben Barba and Ben Roberts. They are well served for the future in their halves.

Kornstar

Coach
Humble prefers to play fullback as opposed to the halves though he did do well at Redcliffe and with Hayne in his road would probably be considered there yes.

I don't understand how this kid was the player of the year in the QLD Cup and had clubs chasing him etc yet he decides to come to the Eels where we have arguably the best fullback in the game and a VERY good back up in Burt.

Matt Bowen spends half his time injured these days and cutie has left for AFL, why wouldn't he go to one of those sides????

He MAY have a shot at our halves but seriously it is doubtful at this stage, what did we offer him that no other club could?

The Cowboys have Thursten and only Thursten in their halves so Humble could have played a full season with a mix of fullback and 5/8th, why not go there?

Penrith seem light on halves.

I am just confused at why he would pick up his entire life to come and play 3rd string in both the positions he plays?????

Are the club resigned to lose Mortimer, Mateo, Inu and KK???

parra pete

Referee
I don't understand how this kid was the player of the year in the QLD Cup and had clubs chasing him etc yet he decides to come to the Eels where we have arguably the best fullback in the game and a VERY good back up in Burt.

Matt Bowen spends half his time injured these days and cutie has left for AFL, why wouldn't he go to one of those sides????

He MAY have a shot at our halves but seriously it is doubtful at this stage, what did we offer him that no other club could?

The Cowboys have Thursten and only Thursten in their halves so Humble could have played a full season with a mix of fullback and 5/8th, why not go there?

I am just confused at why he would pick up his entire life to come and play 3rd string in both the positions he plays?????

IS the club resigned to lose Mortimer, Mateo, Inu and KK???

Tom Humble WASN'T the Player of the Year in Queensland Cup last year, that honour went to Ian Lacey (Ipswich Jets).
Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensland_Cup
Players like to back themselves against the best.....
Neil Henry tried like the devil to get Humble, but he had 'promised' the Eels, and kept his word...:shock:

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
Having read through this entire topic, there seems to be a lot of inside knowledge, hot tips and gut-feelings about whether or not Daniel Mortimer will go or stay.

I'd just like to add my 2 cents and say that I have absolutely no idea where Daniel Mortimer will be playing in 2011. Further to that, I just like to pass on that I don't even know if Morts will play in round 1, or what he's even up to right now. I don't even know what he had for breakfast this morning (It could have been eggs-over-easy on a toasted wholemeal muffin with a side order of pan-fried button mushrooms, washed down with a glass of chilled guava juice, but this would be just wild speculation on my behalf.)

Explosive stuff I know, but I've sat on that bombshell for far too long, so make of it what you will.

Phil and Becs, are you taking note of this?

Avenger

Immortal
It's always a gut feel for me. I know bugger all. However I reckon he will stay. I would put money on it.

Kornstar

Coach
Tom Humble WASN'T the Player of the Year in Queensland Cup last year, that honour went to Ian Lacey (Ipswich Jets).
Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queensland_Cup
Players like to back themselves against the best.....
Neil Henry tried like the devil to get Humble, but he had 'promised' the Eels, and kept his word...:shock:

Thank you for that clarification Pete on him not being player of the year, i have heard it many times that he was.

Good on him for keeping his promise, that is very noble.....still a silly decision imo.....he would have much better chances at NQ to get a start, as it is he will have Hayne, Burt, Inu, Morts, KK, MK, Mateo, Robson & Mitchell ahead of him in pretty much the 3 positions he could play. At NQ he would probably have no-one for atleast a spot.

In saying all of that, if he makes first grade (as was said about KK and the 7 jersey) then it means he is playing out of his skin and that can only be a great thing for the club :D

parra pete

Referee
Let's see how Tom handles himself in the big time before saying he made a 'silly decision'.
If he is good enough and his form warrants it, he will get his chance.
I'm tipping him to be a star. Maybe not in 2010, but certainly in 2011.
My Queensland friends have good things to say about him. We'll just have to wait and see how it all unfolds. I have only see him on Youtube, but he looked good there...knows his way to the tryline, that's for sure..

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Are the club resigned to lose Mortimer, Mateo, Inu and KK???

From what I remember reading in the Cowboys section, apparently Henry didnt offer Humble a fulltime contract, we did. I also think we offered him a fair amount more money then the Cowboys were willing.

parra pete

Referee
Eels snare Humble
James Silver
Thursday, August 27, 2009
© The Cairns Post

Northern Pride star Tom Humble has given up the dream of starting his NRL career with North Queensland after signing with the Parramatta Eels.
Humble was desperate to stay in his home state but started negotiating with rival clubs because the Cowboys
initially showed no interest in the Queensland Cup revelation.
Humble’s decision to sign a two-year deal was made even tougher because his preferred position is fullback and he has no chance of securing the Eels’ No.1 jersey ahead of Jarryd Hayne.

Humble has forgone a likely starting position at fullback with the Cowboys or Wests Tigers to join the Eels.
He said he had wanted to remain loyal to the Eels, who have courted him for a large part of the season.
"Most people would say I’m a bit silly not taking them (other offers) but I think Parramatta will treat me more as a half," Humble said last night.
"Obviously, Jarryd Hayne is the best fullback in the world at the moment but as I said to the Cowboys, if I got a call from the Cowboys three months ago I would have signed on the dotted line the next day.
"I love North Queensland and I was on their doorstep for four years."
Humble in demand
Humble played in the Cowboys under-20 side last year and trained with them in the off-season before moving to Cairns to join the Pride.
"I played 20s last year and didn’t play too bad, then I did a pre-season for free there before Christmas,’’ he said.
"Not that I wanted to get paid but I lived off savings and spent every cent I had and was willing to do it but I came up here (to Cairns) and didn’t hear a word and I was a little bit disappointed.
"I would have loved to have ended up in Townsville and if I ended up there in a year or two, I would not be disappointed. I love the place and I love North Queensland."
The Blackwater product has been one of the Queensland Cup’s best players this season and will partner former NRL player Chris Sheppard in the halves in Saturday’s semi-final at Barlow Park against Norths Devils.
Humble said the decision had weighed on his mind for months.
"Sydney is a big change,’’ he said. "I have never lived in a place like that, it took me a month or so to get positive about moving to Sydney and I finally got my head around it and got a phone call from the Cowboys.
"I left Townsville hoping to go back there but it was a little too late.’’
The Cowboys made their bid for Humble after Matt Bowen suffered a knee injury that could sideline him until July.
Cowboys boss Peter Parr said he understood why Humble had joined the Eels.
"I know that the coaching staff only made the decision late that we should talk to Tom so we understand we were behind the eight-ball,’’ he said.
"He was down the track with Parramatta but we believe we could have provided a better opportunity here, particularly with Matt but we understand the circumstances around it and we wish him the best.’’
Pride coach Andrew Dunemann said the Eels were rewarded for showing early interest in the 20-year-old.
"I think they were one of the first ones to show genuine interest in him. He did testing there and got the best results in a couple of areas for the whole club so that shows they are getting a pretty good player,’’ Dunemann said.
He said it was important Humble pushed his case for an NRL starting spot with a strong Queensland Cup finals campaign.
Source - http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2009/08/27/60651_local-sport-news.html

Last edited:

eels_fan

First Grade
i think Humble has a massive future in the game. I think for 2010 (and possibly 2011) he will need to bide (sp?) his time in NSW cup, learn from the nrl guys, and if an opportunity arises through injury or rep honours, take it with both hands.

As for Mortimer, i cant help but get the feeling we are going to strung along for a while. I think he will develop into a great player - but realistically we wont see the best out of him for another 2-3 years, and i'd hate to see us pay massive overs to keep him purely based on 'potential' or a few trick shots in a few games last year. If he leaves, we have replacements. If he stays, thats awesome, but it doesnt buy him a starting jersey for the rest of his time at a Parra, and thats a promise the bulldogs can afford to make him because they have less options.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I havent seen much of Humble, but from what I have seen of him, he seems to be the kind of player that excels mid field. Not really an edge runner, but the kind that can draw defence in and find holes in the middle of the field. Not quite like a hooker but more like Lockyer at fullback. He also seems to have good skills that a five eight would need. I wouldnt be suprized if he never plays a first grade game at Parra.

parra pete

Referee
I havent seen much of Humble, but from what I have seen of him, he seems to be the kind of player that excels mid field. Not really an edge runner, but the kind that can draw defence in and find holes in the middle of the field. Not quite like a hooker but more like Lockyer at fullback. He also seems to have good skills that a five eight would need. I wouldnt be suprized if he never plays a first grade game at Parra.

Big statement. Why wouldn't you be surprised?

hindy111

Post Whore
Best of luck Humble.And to the rest of use fighting it out for a first grade spot...
BUT
6-mortimer
7- Robson
stop discussing it.That will be it should be it has to be it.They are grand final halves-As if they will change it unless something serious goes wrong!!!

hindy111

Post Whore
ps- oh yeah good job robo and morts -we made the gf But kk and humble played 2 good trials so im giving them your spot : ) Bahahahaha