What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

flippikat

Bench
Our sport is so f**king dumb sometimes.

Honestly, who's dick has to get sucked for this sport to be run by a competent administrator with the foresight to plan more than a few years ahead.

Well every time we get anything close to that, the knives come out from clubland & the media (who have their own self-interest at stake), and they're gone by lunchtime.

Look at David Smith, look at Shane Richardson, and to an extent look at Todd Greenberg too...

I guess with V'Landys at least he's standing up to clubs self-interest (what with the dismissal of the Titans concerns), but if the vision he's trying to impose is flawed - or based on rash decisions & flawed logic - then there's a bigger problem brewing.

Vee

First Grade
P
If they can tighten their defence up a bit they should make the top 8. Fafita and Brimson are weapons and if they can get Peachy playing like he was when he was at the Panthers they've got some strike.
Peachy is finally starting to come good playing the small lock role. Keen to see if they persist with Faseuetc back, I would.

Jamberoo

Juniors
“Cameron Smith, the greatest player ever, was a Logan junior. He went from Brisbane to Melbourne.
“If there was a second Brisbane team, would he have gone there?

Fricking hell, as the leader of the game, and the only piddly bit of success we’ve had in growing the game in one hundred years you’d think he would be happy cam smith made melbourne Storm succesful!!
All of Pete's rhetoric suggests he really hates Melbourne Storm. Totally unprofessional for the boss to whittle away at the comp's only only successful foray into AFL territory. Pete would love a comp with just NSW & Qld teams I reckon.
Other than that, he is right on the money about Queensland. It's all over for RL if the AFL overtakes participation in Queensland. Which is why we will get Brisbane 2 in 2023, and Brisbane 3 in 2027.
Further to that, the Pete needs to understand that the semi pro AFLW is about participation. More that half the growth in AFL participation in Qld is females. These girls have brother, months and fathers so it is a brilliant way to get people interested and involved. Pete needs to find a way to trump the AFL here. Each club needs a team, and the season needs to run for 10+ rounds. Watch participation grow on the back of that.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Our sport is so f**king dumb sometimes.

Honestly, who's dick has to get sucked for this sport to be run by a competent administrator with the foresight to plan more than a few years ahead.

Be nice if we could have confidence for even a couple of years of strategic vision lol. I mean the strat plan they put out was rubbish, no quantative measurables, no targets just top end waffle about growing participation, sustainability, (better transportation lol) blah blah. Compared to the comprehensive one Smith developed it was shamateur!

AFL started planning for their last expansion ten years before it happened. They knew where and eventually decided when and how. Here we are 18 months away with seemingly no idea if and who, and for 4 years away where!

NRL Strat Plan 2018-2022 LowRes

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
All of Pete's rhetoric suggests he really hates Melbourne Storm. Totally unprofessional for the boss to whittle away at the comp's only only successful foray into AFL territory. Pete would love a comp with just NSW & Qld teams I reckon.
Other than that, he is right on the money about Queensland. It's all over for RL if the AFL overtakes participation in Queensland. Which is why we will get Brisbane 2 in 2023, and Brisbane 3 in 2027.
Further to that, the Pete needs to understand that the semi pro AFLW is about participation. More that half the growth in AFL participation in Qld is females. These girls have brother, months and fathers so it is a brilliant way to get people interested and involved. Pete needs to find a way to trump the AFL here. Each club needs a team, and the season needs to run for 10+ rounds. Watch participation grow on the back of that.

Dont think he hates storm per se, but you have to understand that in his real job he is in a business battle with Racing Victoria so he uses his RL platform to denigrate Melbourne and Victoria as it suits his NSW racing agenda. He isnt a very professional person and this comes across often, especially as he loves the RL spotlight being on him. He is right though whilst AFL uses its charm offensive to grow into a national sport he slags off any potential growth markets for RL! Maybe Vlandys needs to learn something about diplomacy from them!!
His stance on Qlnd reminds me of the medieval castle under siege. You can take the fight to them or you can hold up and try and strengthen your fortifications. Ultimately though you will starve to death. Get on the front foot Vlandys and get AFL looking behind them in their states rather than just trying to battle them in ours.

mongoose

Coach

I think you're underestimating how ingrained League is in QLD. The whole states identity is attached to State of origin and Rugby League greats, AFL could have triple the participation and it wouldn't mean shit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think you're underestimating how ingrained League is in QLD. The whole states identity is attached to State of origin and Rugby League greats, AFL could have triple the participation and it wouldn't mean shit.

What annoys me is we feed the rhetoric. Lions are building a shiny new building so that means we are losing the war. BS!
Fight fire with fire and show the world how ingrained RL is in Qlnd! He should have come out swinging with participation numbers inc Touch, TV audiences, overall crowds for the last ten years etc etc. if he wanted to puff his chest out about how strong RL is in Qlnd. Make the conversation about expansion in Brisbane being on the back of the strength of the game there, not because AFL is taking over. He might be able to bulldoze decisions through but a statesman or strategist he certainly is not!
If we keep feeding the perception NRL is losing the war with AFL in its own heartlands then you can be pretty sure it will eventually be a self fulfilling prophecy!

If PVL wants 5 teams in Queensland, which is the correct number, then 4th and 5th will be based in SEQ as that's where the population is based.

Sunshine Coast isn't ready for one, so its best hope is to team up with Redcliffe and play a couple of games a year at Sunshine Coast Stadium once it has its capacity upgraded. That leaves Ipswich/SW Brisbane and Logan/SE Brisbane to battle it out for the other spot.

Jets represent Ipswich/SW Bris and Firehawks represent Logan/SE Bris.

I'd like to see Easts and Redcliffe join their bids together, like Jets and Bombers did, so we can get a good spread of 3 teams for the Greater Brisbane area.

South Brisbane Jets (Ipswich, outer western suburbs of Logan and Southern Suburbs Magpies District) and East Coast Dolphins (Eastern Suburbs Tigers District, eastern suburbs of Logan, Redlands, Moreton Bay). Broncos can focus on Western Suburbs Panthers District, Northern Suburbs Devils District) and Darling Downs as the "Broncos" theme appeals out that way where plenty of people have horses.

All 3 Brisbane teams can play out of Lang Park, with maybe 2 or 3 games going out to regional areas like Sunshine Coast or Springfield.

Five teams would make a "Queensland Division Trophy" a mini competition within the NRL, with each match between the 5 Queensland clubs counting for something and ensuring fans have something to look forward to winning, regardless of whether their teams are a chance of winning the NRL Premiership. All five teams play each other home and away, with the winner being the team who wins the most matches or has the best for and against if wins are even.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
If PVL wants 5 teams in Queensland, which is the correct number, then 4th and 5th will be based in SEQ as that's where the population is based.

Sunshine Coast isn't ready for one, so its best hope is to team up with Redcliffe and play a couple of games a year at Sunshine Coast Stadium once it has its capacity upgraded. That leaves Ipswich/SW Brisbane and Logan/SE Brisbane to battle it out for the other spot.

I'd like to see Easts and Redcliffe join their bids together, like Jets and Bombers did, so we can get a good spread of 3 teams for the Greater Brisbane area.

South Brisbane Jets (Ipswich, outer western suburbs of Logan and Southern Suburbs Magpies District) and East Coast Dolphins (Eastern Suburbs Tigers District, eastern suburbs of Logan, Redlands, Moreton Bay). Broncos can focus on Western Suburbs Panthers District, Northern Suburbs Devils District) and Darling Downs as the "Broncos" theme appeals out that way where plenty of people have horses.

All 3 Brisbane teams can play out of Lang Park, with maybe 2 or 3 games going out to regional areas like Sunshine Coast or Springfield.

Five teams would make a "Queensland Division Trophy" a mini competition within the NRL, with each match between the 5 Queensland clubs counting for something and ensuring fans have something to look forward to winning, regardless of whether their teams are a chance of winning the NRL Premiership. All five teams play each other home and away, with the winner being the team who wins the most matches or has the best for and against if wins are even.

I'd bring in the Jets or Firehawks now out of Suncorp and have a long term plan to go to twenty teams and be working with the Qlnd Govt to upgrade Dolphins stadium to 25k on the promise of a club in say 2030. If the 18th club isn't Perth then the NRL has absolute rocks in its head and you can kiss goodbye to ever having a national comp. AFL will bring a third team here when city gets to 3mill and that will be all she wrote. I'm not at all convinced by another NZ club and would rather see
Jets or Firehawks 2023
Perth 2025/6
MB Dolphins 2030
Adelaide 2035

If the NRL gets that footprint it has Australia covered for the next 50 years plus from 2035.

flippikat

Bench
I'd bring in the Jets or Firehawks now out of Suncorp and have a long term plan to go to twenty teams and be working with the Qlnd Govt to upgrade Dolphins stadium to 25k on the promise of a club in say 2030. If the 18th club isn't Perth then the NRL has absolute rocks in its head and you can kiss goodbye to ever having a national comp. AFL will bring a third team here when city gets to 3mill and that will be all she wrote. I'm not at all convinced by another NZ club and would rather see
Jets or Firehawks 2023
Perth 2025/6
MB Dolphins 2030
Adelaide 2035

If the NRL gets that footprint it has Australia covered for the next 50 years plus from 2035.

I think you're spot on there.

The only slight change I'd make is less of a gap between Dolphins & Adelaide. Say, Dolphins 2030, Adelaide 2032 or 2033. There's no need to have 4-5 years of an odd-number of teams.

Keep NZ & Central Coast as possible relocation options for any Sydney team that wants to/has to relocate.

MugaB

Coach
Be nice if we could have confidence for even a couple of years of strategic vision lol. I mean the strat plan they put out was rubbish, no quantative measurables, no targets just top end waffle about growing participation, sustainability, (better transportation lol) blah blah. Compared to the comprehensive one Smith developed it was shamateur!

AFL started planning for their last expansion ten years before it happened. They knew where and eventually decided when and how. Here we are 18 months away with seemingly no idea if and who, and for 4 years away where!

NRL Strat Plan 2018-2022 LowRes
Your PVL hate bias is showing

MugaB

Coach

Finally a post i can agree on, you tend to generally waffle on about sydney and culling mergers of all clubs. But now that there's actual news about proper QLD expansion, you actually have some great input here.
To me that is a great spread in SEQ, especially if Easts team up with Dolphins, so adding a NE team and a SW jets team, can lock up seq

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your PVL hate bias is showing

tell me where I’m wrong?
I’m first to admit I don’t like vlandys style or his leadership qualities. he’s got a big mouth that is detrimental to the growth of the game and he acts like a ceo when he should be a board member with a clear delineation between strategy and operations as per good governance company structures.

MugaB

Coach
tell me where I’m wrong?
I’m first to admit I don’t like vlandys style or his leadership qualities. he’s got a big mouth that is detrimental to the growth of the game and he acts like a ceo when he should be a board member with a clear delineation between strategy and operations as per good governance company structures.
His bravado is what you don't like, theres no handbook on how to be an ARLC chairman, you can be blunt, and straightforward, and get the job done.
Or you can be a waste like john grant and fluff you way thru, only advancing efforts to save your own skin.
PVL is a forward thinker, expansion is the best way to further the footprint, too many people are impatient with the methods been thrown out there.
I like that he plans for something and follows thru, may 28th, bam game back on, cost cutting around the game,One ref, tweak rules, done, done, done.
Name the last ARLC that actually improved the game, or actually did anything?

flippikat

Bench
The way I see it, there's 4 priority expansion markets:

* Brisbane 2 (4th Queensland team)
* Perth
* NZ 2
* Adelaide

Now, assuming no changes to ANY of the other clubs.. that would take us to 20 teams.

However, injecting a 5th Queensland team - Brisbane or elsewhere in the state - would mean that to cover Perth, Adelaide & NZ2 would need either 21 teams or an existing team would have to relocate.

Either that or Perth, Adelaide or NZ 2 miss out.

So, what's it to be V'landys?

flippikat

Bench
I'm not at all convinced by another NZ club and would rather see
Jets or Firehawks 2023
Perth 2025/6
MB Dolphins 2030
Adelaide 2035

Just thinking about this again, what if the Dolphins and Adelaide were flipped, *and* with a smaller gap.. so that SE-Qld has a better window to "bed down" 3 teams before a 4th arrives?

Eg
2023 Jets or Firehawks
2025 West Coast Pirates (Perth)
2030 Adelaide Rams
2032 MB Dolphins

That gives the best part of a decade between Queensland expansions. Plenty of time.

Now THAT is a code with a sense of direction.

Where the hell are all the visionaries in rugby league??

That’s like asking where are all the dolphins in the desert... they don’t exist there...

After the amazing work PVL did to get the NRL through Covid... all I’ve seen is chest thumping, smartarse wisecracks at otter codes, flippant statements, and the NRL throwing ideas out to the court of public opinion before actually doing anything.. (eg conferences)...

I think PVL was great for the NRL in crisis-mode. And while has done a lot of great visionary stuff for NSW racing... I’ve yet to see anything truly visionary in league yet. It’s still not recovered from 2020 yet so I can understand pumping the brakes a bit here but..,

The honeymoon is over now. More strategy less bullshit required.

MugaB

Coach
That’s like asking where are all the dolphins in the desert... they don’t exist there...

After the amazing work PVL did to get the NRL through Covid... all I’ve seen is chest thumping, smartarse wisecracks at otter codes, flippant statements, and the NRL throwing ideas out to the court of public opinion before actually doing anything.. (eg conferences)...

I think PVL was great for the NRL in crisis-mode. And while has done a lot of great visionary stuff for NSW racing... I’ve yet to see anything truly visionary in league yet. It’s still not recovered from 2020 yet so I can understand pumping the brakes a bit here but..,

The honeymoon is over now. More strategy less bullshit required.
And how exactly are the ARLC going to publically announce a strategy?
Anything that gets presented gets picked apart, and also has potential to have rival codes create problems for it to come to pass, lets say Adelaide becomes the focus point for a 19th licence, you don't think AFL won't use whatever means necessary to hinder its progression. Or Perth with both Twiggy and AFL, so its easy to say yeah lets hear it all laid out, but realistically keeping cards close to the vest is the better strategy.

Last edited: