What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

MugaB

Coach
It's hypocritical for the Titans to whinge about Bris 2 poaching players from them when they've been doing that to the Broncos for 14 years.
To be fair so have the broncos too, but its all fine, as long as your both producing juniors and giving them a shot at NRL level, ash taylor was a prime example of those two teams and poaching aswell as David Fafita

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nope about 10 marquee players the rest from thier area, no one would accept expansion if that would happen, you're off your head if you think teams would let go of 2 nrl grade players to another new club, what benefit will they get? thats why titans a spearheading against the bris2. The Melbourne system of poaching from QLD and NZ wont last, its unsustainable, and getting perth or whoever else to do the same will ruin the overall game

nonsense, they will sign 25 nrl first team squad players from other clubs. If their current qrl players were good enough for nrl they would be in the nrl! I can guarantee that their starting 17 will all be current nrl players with many games under their belt signed form other clubs.

Why is it unsustainable? If there are enough quality 16 year olds coming through the RL system for 17 or 18 nrl clubs to pick up and turn into first graders then why does it matter where they were born? Storm and Roosters have shown you can be successful finding the best young talent in the country, and nz, and turning them into stars with quality coaching. Where as warriors, bulldogs, tigers etc are showing it doesn’t matter how many kids are playing the game in your area if you dont have the quality nrl club to develop them further.

MugaB

Coach
nonsense, they will sign 25 nrl first team squad players from other clubs. If their current qrl players were good enough for nrl they would be in the nrl! I can guarantee that their starting 17 will all be current nrl players with many games under their belt signed form other clubs.

Why is it unsustainable? If there are enough quality 16 year olds coming through the RL system for 17 or 18 nrl clubs to pick up and turn into first graders then why does it matter where they were born? Storm and Roosters have shown you can be successful finding the best young talent in the country, and nz, and turning them into stars with quality coaching. Where as warriors, bulldogs, tigers etc are showing it doesn’t matter how many kids are playing the game in your area if you dont have the quality nrl club to develop them further.
You're getting the 2 confused, im saying all the new team will get is 10 marquee players, their is bugger all chance that you could get 25 nrl grade players to a perth or new brisbane team. 10 maybe 11. the rest will be local talent, i'm not saying it has to be like that, im saying fat chance a new club will draw 25 players to it, and if its brisbane, no problem they can promote the 20 from falcons, dolphins, easts etc. If its perth???? Where are they getting players? Im talking players that will move cross country to play as no.22 and likely get 150-200k and probably get dropped, you've become one eyed regarding this only coz Melbourne can do it easily. But other teams can't, and its not the best solution or process for expansion. If you can create juniors beneath you, at least for your own sake, great, othereise then you stealling others, which is fine, but when the other clubs that stopped producing talent, that had it, are the ones suffereing now, not the storm and roosters that really never had it. I'm talking dogs, tigers, cowboys, just started buying talent instead of grooming it from within. What happen when theres not enough to go around, expansion isn't just about dots on a map marketing, its about breeding more juniors and pathways to the top, it doesn't have to be where the participation is stronger, but it also can't be where there isn't any at all

mongoose

Coach
You're getting the 2 confused, im saying all the new team will get is 10 marquee players, their is bugger all chance that you could get 25 nrl grade players to a perth or new brisbane team. 10 maybe 11. the rest will be local talent, i'm not saying it has to be like that, im saying fat chance a new club will draw 25 players to it, and if its brisbane, no problem they can promote the 20 from falcons, dolphins, easts etc. If its perth???? Where are they getting players? Im talking players that will move cross country to play as no.22 and likely get 150-200k and probably get dropped, you've become one eyed regarding this only coz Melbourne can do it easily. But other teams can't, and its not the best solution or process for expansion. If you can create juniors beneath you, at least for your own sake, great, othereise then you stealling others, which is fine, but when the other clubs that stopped producing talent, that had it, are the ones suffereing now, not the storm and roosters that really never had it. I'm talking dogs, tigers, cowboys, just started buying talent instead of grooming it from within. What happen when theres not enough to go around, expansion isn't just about dots on a map marketing, its about breeding more juniors and pathways to the top, it doesn't have to be where the participation is stronger, but it also can't be where there isn't any at all

The Dolphins aren't just going to promote half their QLD cup team lol, they will source the best 30 players they possible can no matter where they are from, exactly the same as a new Perth team would.

Perth Red

Post Whore

we shall see, I’d bet my mortgage I’m right and the new clubs first squad will be made of at least 25 players currently playing in the nrl for other teams.

it’s not stealing from others, nrl needs to move away from this notion that nrl clubs are responsible for all jnr RL. It’s the job of the clubs to find the best 16-18 year olds and turn them into first graders, wherever they live. It’s the job of the nrl and state leagues, and in some places league clubs to get kids playing the game in the numbers we need to get enough 16-18 talent for nrl clubs to pick up. Your thinking will hold the game back from ever growing beyond its two states.

ps WA has more RL clubs than the Canterbury region so there goes Christchurch over perth argument lol

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Dolphins aren't just going to promote half their QLD cup team lol, they will source the best 30 players they possible can no matter where they are from, exactly the same as a new Perth team would.

lol he thinks there’s 20 QRL cup players that will step up to nrl overnight. If there was they would already be in nrl squads!

when the Titans came in their first squad was 28 players signed from other nrl clubs and one from SL. No QRL cup players lol

MugaB

Coach
They'll have the luxury to do either or both. That's something Perth wouldn't be able to do

MugaB

Coach
we shall see, I’d bet my mortgage I’m right and the new clubs first squad will be made of at least 25 players currently playing in the nrl for other teams.

it’s not stealing from others, nrl needs to move away from this notion that nrl clubs are responsible for all jnr RL. It’s the job of the clubs to find the best 16-18 year olds and turn them into first graders, wherever they live. It’s the job of the nrl and state leagues, and in some places league clubs to get kids playing the game in the numbers we need to get enough 16-18 talent for nrl clubs to pick up. Your thinking will hold the game back from ever growing beyond its two states.

ps WA has more RL clubs than the Canterbury region so there goes Christchurch over perth argument lol
I'm not arguing Canterbury or Christchurch region over Perth, i do want to see a perth franchise, but the players that comes out of NZ is far better in terms of talent is higher than that of WA... for the record NZ2 won't be south island

Perth Red

Post Whore
They'll have the luxury to do either or both. That's something Perth wouldn't be able to do

nah we’ve got twenty nrl quality players in the NRLWA comp just waiting for a start lol.
No one is saying bring perth in next season, have a plan, help us develop the ever growing jnr base we have to better quality, get us in nsw cup 3 years prior to nrl entry and help us partner with png. Bingo we will be much closer to turning our current one a year player into five a year and will have less need to attract from the east. Or just accept the game will never be a national code, fall further behind afl and enjoy your primarily two state suburban comp.

Ps why is it ok for Sydney clubs to be signing nz and qlnd juniors but not Perth?

Santino Patane

Juniors
It's hypocritical for the Titans to whinge about Bris 2 poaching players from them when they've been doing that to the Broncos for 14 years.
The Titans aren’t whinging about poaching players. They’re more concerned about the business case for another club coming in only 6 years after making a $35M investment at the time to buy the licence with no discussion of a 17th Club, despite having access to the NRL’s confidential books. If you can’t see that as something for a business to raise concerns about and seek clarification on, you mustn’t have much business experience.

The Titans aren’t whinging about poaching players. They’re more concerned about the business case for another club coming in only 6 years after making a $35M investment at the time to buy the licence with no discussion of a 17th Club, despite having access to the NRL’s confidential books. If you can’t see that as something for a business to raise concerns about and seek clarification on, you mustn’t have much business experience.
If Gold Coast's 600k population cannot provide enough capital to stay afloat against 2 clubs from a different city that's at least 1 and a half hours away then why are they in the competition?

It's not the responsibility of Greater Brisbane's commercial sector and population to support a team from a regional area that limits its appeal to 600k people.

If Bris 2 forces Frizelle and Kelly to increase their investment in the Titans then they'll just have to dip their hands into their pocket or sell their shares to some one who will. That's how the market works.

You still haven't provided a source for how many members the Titans have this year after whinging because I cited the official figures from the NRL's "2021 Membership" page, which apparently has last year's figures for Sharks, Broncos and Titans because those clubs won't supply data for this season.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If Gold Coast's 600k population cannot provide enough capital to stay afloat against 2 clubs from a different city that's at least 1 and a half hours away then why are they in the competition?

It's not the responsibility of Greater Brisbane's commercial sector and population to support a team from a regional area that limits its appeal to 600k people.

You still haven't provided a source for how many members the Titans have this year after whinging because I cited the official figures from the NRL's "2021 Membership" page, which apparently has last year's figures for Sharks, Broncos and Titans because those clubs won't supply data for this season.

there’s only so many sponsors in seq. Nrl needs a club on Gold Coast due to afl. If you were starting from scratch then no you probably wouldn’t put one there in reality if you were going to put 2 or 3 clubs in brisbane.

there’s only so many sponsors in seq. Nrl needs a club on Gold Coast due to afl. If you were starting from scratch then no you probably wouldn’t put one there in reality if you were going to put 2 or 3 clubs in brisbane.
Titans are owned by local Gold Coast businessmen Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle. One of their main sponsors is Village Roadshow Theme Parks, who have a litany of theme parks on the Gold Coast. These owners and sponsors aren't going to Brisbane 2.

A national company would prefer to be aligned with a team that has a catchment of 2.4m (Greater Brisbane), rather than 600k (Gold Coast). Tweed Shire has less than 100k people and bugger all businesses compared to Brisbane. So yeah, Brisbane 2 will have better access to major sponsors, but they won't affect the Titans who are in a unique market that has a completely different economy due to it being a tourist destination.

The best hope for Gold Coast to attract more sponsors is to rebrand as Gold Coast-Logan Titans. There are plenty of businesses in Logan and it has a population of 326k. The largest Ikea in the southern hemisphere is located in Logan, so there's a potential sponsor for the Titans should they seek to expand their range and brand.

The fact the Titans don't have Logan in their name and are trying to sabotage Brisbane 2 says to me that they're an arrogant club, run by elitists, who think they're too good for Logan and Brisbane, but want us to supply them with players and money because the Gold Coast doesn't have a strong RL community. This is a club that ripped off local tradesman and ran up $35m in debt, then put its hand out for money. Now they're trying to tell the ARLC what to do after relying on them for survival. I recall Rebecca Frizelle speaking with Matty Johns on Fox League about how the ARLC needs to help the Titans fend off AwFuL. No other club does this much whinging.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
Perth will though, if they came in they would surely be given a QLD cup side or maybe 2 as their feeder team. You may not like that as they may not be from WA but they will have players.

Santino Patane

Juniors

If Bris 2 forces Frizelle and Kelly to increase their investment in the Titans then they'll just have to dip their hands into their pocket or sell their shares to some one who will. That's how the market works.

You are completely off on another tangent here mate. I haven’t suggested at once that the Titans need or want any corporate support from Brisbane (to counter the conversations I’ve had with the club point to a pipeline of sponsorship waiting to support), the financial position of the club is secure and has a bright future and very much focussed on sourcing locally. Frizzle and Kelly already have dipped in, and are committed to continuing to well into the future.

The honest answer I have for you regarding our membership numbers is that they haven’t been published. This is something that does frustrate me, but again, off the record I was told internally the numbers were up around 10k in February.

I get your passionate about more Qld teams in the league, but this chip on your shoulders for the Gold Coast is unfounded, and I can guarantee you that you only have half the story about what’s happening on the coast, and your filling the other half with non truths.

Santino Patane

Juniors
Titans are owned by local Gold Coast businessmen Darryl Kelly and Rebecca Frizelle. One of their main sponsors is Village Roadshow Theme Parks, who have a litany of theme parks on the Gold Coast. These owners and sponsors aren't going to Brisbane 2.

A national company would prefer to be aligned with a team that has a catchment of 2.4m (Greater Brisbane), rather than 600k (Gold Coast). Tweed Shire has less than 100k people and bugger all businesses compared to Brisbane. So yeah, Brisbane 2 will have better access to major sponsors, but they won't affect the Titans who are in a unique market that has a completely different economy due to it being a tourist destination.

The best hope for Gold Coast to attract more sponsors is to rebrand as Gold Coast-Logan Titans. There are plenty of businesses in Logan and it has a population of 326k. The largest Ikea in the southern hemisphere is located in Logan, so there's a potential sponsor for the Titans should they seek to expand their range and brand.

The fact the Titans don't have Logan in their name and are trying to sabotage Brisbane 2 says to me that they're an arrogant club, run by elitists, who think they're too good for Logan and Brisbane, but want us to supply them with players and money because the Gold Coast doesn't have a strong RL community. This is a club that ripped off local tradesman and ran up $35m in debt, then put its hand out for money. Now they're trying to tell the ARLC what to do after relying on them for survival. I recall Rebecca Frizelle speaking with Matty Johns on Fox League about how the ARLC needs to help the Titans fend off AwFuL. No other club does this much whinging.
Give up on Logan being in the NRL. It is a contradiction for you to try and point to locations in Sydney and rationalise them out, yet feel that Logan needs to be in there. Plus they already have a team- the Broncos, plus Brisbane 2 as well.

The Gold Coast have so much more potential to grow the game in participation (the second largest junior nursery in the nation behind Penrith), finances (through a legitimate broad economy of the 6th largest city in Australia) and facility.

Once some consistent success occurs, watch the crowds come back, if you want proof, look at crowd number for the first 5 years.

If you’re so pro Qld in the NRL, why don’t you get behind the actual teams in it, and be happy there’s more than likely another one in a couple of years time.

Give up on Logan being in the NRL. It is a contradiction for you to try and point to locations in Sydney and rationalise them out, yet feel that Logan needs to be in there. Plus they already have a team- the Broncos, plus Brisbane 2 as well.

The Gold Coast have so much more potential to grow the game in participation (the second largest junior nursery in the nation behind Penrith), finances (through a legitimate broad economy of the 6th largest city in Australia) and facility.

Once some consistent success occurs, watch the crowds come back, if you want proof, look at crowd number for the first 5 years.

If you’re so pro Qld in the NRL, why don’t you get behind the actual teams in it, and be happy there’s more than likely another one in a couple of years time.
You're wrong on many accounts here.

I didn't suggest Logan have a stand-alone club in this thread, so you're reading things that aren't there. Logan can't sustain a team of its own as its population isn't big enough. What I did suggest in this thread is Gold Coast Titans incorporate Logan into their catchment and brand so that they can develop a larger fanbase and have more commercial opportunities. Gold Coast (600k) and Logan (326k) is 926k. It gives the team links with Gold Coast and southern metropolitan Brisbane. There's a ton a talent in Logan, so it would make sense for Titans to bring them under their umbrella. If they don't and Brisbane Firehawks win the 17th licence then they'll incorporate Logan's eastern suburbs, from Rochedale South in the north to Yarrabilba in the south, in their catchment. On the Tigers annual report it specifically mentions Flagstone and Yarrabilba within their catchment. Titans could kill off their bid right now by rebranding as Gold Coast-Logan Titans, but they're too insular to even consider it. Add Logan's 13 or so clubs into the Gold Coast competition and suddenly you have an area rivaling the Rugby League Brisbane in size.

Gold Coast’s catchment is not anywhere as big as Rugby League Brisbane. Not even close.

Today, Rugby League Brisbane manages the largest combined Rugby League competition in the world with approximately 16,000 player registration (12,500 juniors and 3,500 seniors) across 56 clubs, who field 891 teams in 101 competitions, playing over 450 games each week. The organisation support community-based Rugby League Clubs across the Greater Brisbane Region and manages competitions for junior boys and girls, senior men and women, as well as A-Grade and over 35 Masters for men and women. In addition to these competitions the organisation also manages the Chairman's Challenge (Ted Beaumont Trophy) for senior players and the annual inter-zone challenge for U13 and U14 boys

https://www.rugbyleaguebrisbane.com.au/about-us

There's at least 10 or 11 Logan-based clubs in Rugby League Brisbane.

Compare that with Rugby League Gold Coast, which has 16 clubs, one of which is from Logan.

I am a passionate North Queensland Cowboys fan and have been from the team's debut, so I don't know where you got the idea that I don't support any of the Queensland clubs.

Titans are pissing me off as they're spearheading the anti-expansion agenda. Gold Coast on its own cannot sustain a professional sports franchise, which has been proven on multiple occasions since 1988 across RL, basketball, soccer and baseball. The fumbleball club is a basketcase.

I hope the Brisbane Firehawks get in as they will represent Logan. Titans have had 14 years to develop a base in Logan and have failed miserably out of arrogance and entitlement, so I don't care too much for them.

Brisbane Jets have targeted Logan as part or their catchment.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Forget Adelaide.
Adelaide is a small, slow growing city compared to the other mainland capitals. They might get Ok crowds as South Aussies are very parochial, but Adelaide is like an extreme version of Melbourne in their love for AFL. It dominates the whole psyche of the city. There would be insignificant ratings and they won’t ever produce any players. It would be like the AFL putting a team in Newcastle.
I remember when people used to say almost exactly the same things about Melbourne.

Good job people didn't listen to that nonsense back then otherwise you wouldn't have a team...

Latest posts