What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Not really, they are getting a 600 seat stand, surrounded by an open hill that hold another 9k. Lions won't be playing there but their women's team will. It's just that the perimeter of an AFL Oval is twice as big as a rectangular field so a basic surrounding hill can take twice as many.
I'll take a shiny new stand and hill for the Jets any day.

I agree that the fear around the Western Corridor is unfounded, it is a staunch RL area but my point is we are terrible at Govt lobbying as a game.

Jamberoo

Juniors
I'll take a shiny new stand and hill for the Jets any day.

I agree that the fear around the Western Corridor is unfounded, it is a staunch RL area but my point is we are terrible at Govt lobbying as a game.
Agree. Being inclusive of females and the indigenous is the key to community support and government funding. See what the Swans did here...
Storm train in a public park, but their female team will (eventually) have better facilities.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The argey bargey between Jets and Firehawks over "corridors" and "regions" is exactly the reason I'm less convinced by the promotion of a long historic second tier club that is hemmed in by traditional borders rather than a brand new entity that could have positioned itself as the whole of South Brisbane's team. Seems the NRL has learnt absolutely nothing from the problems with Sydney.

I think it is just considered a plus to counter the AFL threat, but honestly. I can't see what the AFL can do with the Lions that we can't do in a rugby league city with the Broncos and Brisbane 2.
ARLC really need to think about bolstering the state leagues and junior competitions, as that's where AwFuL pump their money and it's drawing kids to their game.

A good start would be to upgrade the facilities of Queensland Cup teams so that they provide a comfortable viewing experience that is as enjoyable as being at Lang Park or the Gabba. Dolphins have paved the way, but ideally you would have undercover seating as people don't want to sit in the sun or rain.

We've got Queensland Cup teams in strong and passionate regions that could pull 5k to 10k fans to their games if they were marketed properly and had the right amenities. The same could be done with the NSW Cup. We just need to make these competitions relevant. I'd prefer to have a short Queensland Cup season followed by a short NRL season, where players play at both levels. Seeing the best players running around in the Queensland Cup at North Ipswich Reserve would get kids wanting to head down to their local ground.

Something like this would be just as good for the game as Brisbane 2.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ARLC really need to think about bolstering the state leagues and junior competitions, as that's where AwFuL pump their money and it's drawing kids to their game.

A good start would be to upgrade the facilities of Queensland Cup teams so that they provide a comfortable viewing experience that is as enjoyable as being at Lang Park or the Gabba. Dolphins have paved the way, but ideally you would have undercover seating as people don't want to sit in the sun or rain.

We've got Queensland Cup teams in strong and passionate regions that could pull 5k to 10k fans to their games if they were marketed properly and had the right amenities. The same could be done with the NSW Cup. We just need to make these competitions relevant. I'd prefer to have a short Queensland Cup season followed by a short NRL season, where players play at both levels. Seeing the best players running around in the Queensland Cup at North Ipswich Reserve would get kids wanting to head down to their local ground.

Something like this would be just as good for the game as Brisbane 2.
They don’t want to take fans away from the nrl clubs. afl is t winning by getting people to follow second tier afl!
Schools, schools, schools. That’s where the war is being lost. Nrl needs to get touch footy on the school curriculum and ensure every kid playing it is following an nrl club.
also we are small minded. We get excited about a final played in a regional grass hill park in front of 12k, at the same time the afl final is being played in a $1billion stadium in front of 60k. Flicking tv channels which sport looks like the leading football code in the country?

Jamberoo

Juniors
They don’t want to take fans away from the nrl clubs. afl is t winning by getting people to follow second tier afl!
Schools, schools, schools. That’s where the war is being lost. Nrl needs to get touch footy on the school curriculum and ensure every kid playing it is following an nrl club.
also we are small minded. We get excited about a final played in a regional grass hill park in front of 12k, at the same time the afl final is being played in a $1billion stadium in front of 60k. Flicking tv channels which sport looks like the leading football code in the country?
Let’s hope the rest of the finals are played in front of a full house @ Suncorp.

mongoose

Coach
Looks like the 2 prelim finals will be at Suncorp but next week it's in Mackay.
No disrespect to Mackay but all finals should have been at 3 grounds only, Suncorp, Townsville and Gold Coast.

siv

First Grade
It just hit me - relocate Wests Tigers to Brisbane - the Easts Tigers (aka Firehawks) keep their brand, and so do WT…!

No you do a demerger

They can then be just known as the Tigers playing in Black & Gold

While Wests can return to being known as Magpies

Perth Red

Post Whore
I
That will not benefit the game.

Just give the licence to Easts Tigers so they can become the Brisbane Tigers. The 17th and 18th licences can then be given to Perth and NZ 2 so we can add new timeslots for the extra game.
if we’re playing hypotheticals I’d go wests to perth, tigers to brisbane and bulldogs to rebrand as western bulldogs and take over the whole sw Sydney region playing out of a new stadium at Liverpool. That would leave 18th spot for nz2 or Adelaide.

Pippen94

First Grade
I

if we’re playing hypotheticals I’d go wests to perth, tigers to brisbane and bulldogs to rebrand as western bulldogs and take over the whole sw Sydney region playing out of a new stadium at Liverpool. That would leave 18th spot for nz2 or Adelaide.

All the young ppl who grew up in Campbelltown & surrounds can just switch to supporting bulldogs just like that huh?! All for team in nz city with smaller population than MacArthur region or team in smallest capital which is not growing.
Dots on map, super league mentality

All the young ppl who grew up in Campbelltown & surrounds can just switch to supporting bulldogs just like that huh?! All for team in nz city with smaller population than MacArthur region or team in smallest capital which is not growing.
What would happen if the Tigers and Bulldogs were replaced with a well run and successful club with a neutral brand that covers Canterbury in the inner-west to Macarthur in the south-west?

Could it be successful like the Western Sydney Wanderers?

Perth Red

Post Whore
All those young people are clearly not supporting the tigers given Campbelltown attendance avg is around 10k and tigers memberships are below 20k.
No point fishing where the fish are if they aren’t biting!

Pippen94

First Grade
What would happen if the Tigers and Bulldogs were replaced with a well run and successful club with a neutral brand that covers Canterbury in the inner-west to Macarthur in the south-west?

Could it be successful like the Western Sydney Wanderers?

You would lose lots of fans. Tigers & Bulldogs two of most popular brands in the game. Think about the teams afl relocated; Fitzroy & swans which were both small inner city clubs & not among the most supported.

Pippen94

First Grade
All those young people are clearly not supporting the tigers given Campbelltown attendance avg is around 10k and tigers memberships are below 20k.
No point fishing where the fish are if they aren’t biting!

More tigers fans pay for fox or watch nine than Perth could provide.

Diesel

Coach
Looks like the 2 prelim finals will be at Suncorp but next week it's in Mackay.
No disrespect to Mackay but all finals should have been at 3 grounds only, Suncorp, Townsville and Gold Coast.
While I agree, I think there is a bit of a afl foothold in Mackay hence the NRL games there

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s just an unprovable opinion. Like me saying in the decades west and tigers have had to build a fanbase perth would have more than double the fans the tigers currently have. We can all make hypothetical sht up!

You would lose lots of fans. Tigers & Bulldogs two of most popular brands in the game. Think about the teams afl relocated; Fitzroy & swans which were both small inner city clubs & not among the most supported.
Weren't all or most of the VFL clubs from inner-city suburbs?

NSL fans didn't have a problem adopting Sydney FC and Western Sydney Wanderers. Up to 35k BRL fans adopted the Broncos in the early 1990s. Titans have more fans than Chargers, Seagulls and Giants. I don't see any reason why fans of smaller Sydney teams cannot adopt a new team that represents a larger area.

There's nothing unique about Sydney RL fans that makes them different to everyone else in the world

Tigers draw pretty well for a Sydney club that hasn't experienced much success over the last decade, but they're still mid-range when it comes to TV ratings and attendances. Ditto Bulldogs.

We won't know how big a Perth-based team can become until it's given a chance to prove itself.