What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It shouldn't be this way.

OurRedV

Juniors
As per usual, come the final knock out of the season, year after year we see and hear the same thing in these forums and from the mouths of not only opposition fans... but our own.

Being heavily involved with the Dragon Army, for the past 3 seasons a number of us have poured blood sweat and tears into making the DA fun to be a part of again.
From flags to banners, signs, bus trips, meet-ups, BBQ's and touch footy days - it's been a very long season. To all involved thank you.

Now to my point. Work colleagues, friends, family and others often ask "why?"... Why do we keep on going putting so much passion into the mighty Red V? There is an endless list of reasons I have to choose from when giving the answer to whoever is asking, but come this time of year it gets a lot harder to explain. The thing which makes it harder, is all of the haters, all of the people who jump on these very forums and start bad mouthing the coach, the players and the club. I just don't see the point in it, does it make you feel better? Does it make the seasons end easier to cope with?

A lot of us used to be negative towards the CEO, the coach and the players but we have seen the light. You can enjoy the game a lot more when you just support the team.

Sentimental thread or not, I'm just embarrassed to be associated with 2 types of Dragons fans.

If you are either of these types of people, then you are an embarrassment, not only to me but to the Players, the Coaches and everything associated with the St. George Illawarra Dragons.

1) You kick the boot into the team after every loss and after the seasons end. You have more negative things than positive things to say about the team and club. You never offer positive and constructive feedback re: the team, club and even the DA (you stand on the hill and create division amongst old and new).

2) You gloat. Instead of being 'concerned' about your own back yard, you're over the neighbours' fence carrying on about how great your grass is. You are more interested in fueling the hatred and being a bad sport, than showing the better hand and being a better man. It's not even about being modest, it's more that you wouldn't know how to recognise fairness if it smacked you in the face.

We have enough abuse to cop by opposition fans come this time of the year, perhaps if we just banded together we wouldn't have such a hard time, and it'd be just meaningless mucking around banter. Like it should be.

/rant.

DA2009.jpg

Great post. Disappointed by the end to the season, expected the opposition fans ridicule but cannot stomach some of the Dragons fans who jump ship when the hard times come.

MattYg1

Bench
This is what being a Big Red V fan is all about though isnt it... dealing with these idiots who will claim "chokers" and seeing all the band wagoners come and go...

Enduring what they throw at us and still bleeding red and white...

Last night I had the momentary thought of "Why do I put so much support into this team when they constantly do this to me", well it was truely only momentary because I quickly realised that I support the Dragons because I can take it... we can all take it... and when the boys do get over the line come gf time (whenever that may be) that will be the greatest feeling ever...

ElectricPenis

Juniors
Well put.
Trust me Dragons supporters, you would receive no 'hate' or criticism from other supporters if you weren't so cocky and arrogant.
When you act like this, it's just really fun for others to come in and say 'What was that?' when you lose, and seeing you with your heads down and mouths shut for once is so pleasing.
Maybe one day you'll gain respect from other supporters.
We know it's not all of you, but it's so hard to ignore the majority.

Slackboy72

Coach
As per usual, come the final knock out of the season, year after year we see and hear the same thing in these forums and from the mouths of not only opposition fans... but our own.

Being heavily involved with the Dragon Army, for the past 3 seasons a number of us have poured blood sweat and tears into making the DA fun to be a part of again.
From flags to banners, signs, bus trips, meet-ups, BBQ's and touch footy days - it's been a very long season. To all involved thank you.

Now to my point. Work colleagues, friends, family and others often ask "why?"... Why do we keep on going putting so much passion into the mighty Red V? There is an endless list of reasons I have to choose from when giving the answer to whoever is asking, but come this time of year it gets a lot harder to explain. The thing which makes it harder, is all of the haters, all of the people who jump on these very forums and start bad mouthing the coach, the players and the club. I just don't see the point in it, does it make you feel better? Does it make the seasons end easier to cope with?

A lot of us used to be negative towards the CEO, the coach and the players but we have seen the light. You can enjoy the game a lot more when you just support the team.

Sentimental thread or not, I'm just embarrassed to be associated with 2 types of Dragons fans.

If you are either of these types of people, then you are an embarrassment, not only to me but to the Players, the Coaches and everything associated with the St. George Illawarra Dragons.

1) You kick the boot into the team after every loss and after the seasons end. You have more negative things than positive things to say about the team and club. You never offer positive and constructive feedback re: the team, club and even the DA (you stand on the hill and create division amongst old and new).

2) You gloat. Instead of being 'concerned' about your own back yard, you're over the neighbours' fence carrying on about how great your grass is. You are more interested in fueling the hatred and being a bad sport, than showing the better hand and being a better man. It's not even about being modest, it's more that you wouldn't know how to recognise fairness if it smacked you in the face.

We have enough abuse to cop by opposition fans come this time of the year, perhaps if we just banded together we wouldn't have such a hard time, and it'd be just meaningless mucking around banter. Like it should be.

/rant.

image removed

Admittedly some of us do but I never do this.
Last night I got a text from someone in our cricket club. All year he has bagged out his own team Parra while I said "Don't worry, they'll come good".
I've never had a bad thing to say about Parra in front of him.
Then he sends a text last night telling me not to be a sook and cry....

All I can think of is "where the fu@k did that antagonism come from?"

For such an unsuccessful club we do draw more than our fair share of antagonism.

Canterbury are hated for being hypocrites, bad sports, cheats and ... well we aren't allowed to talk about that are we...
Easts and Manly are hated for buying their way to success,
Storm are hated for being grapplers,
Newcastle are hated for the behavior of some of their fans in Newcastle,
Souths are just pitied and laughed at,
Brisbane are despised for having an unfair advantage of being a one team town.

I'm one eyed so I am blind to it but why do people love to hate us?

Last edited:

skinnydragon

Juniors
My missus asked me why I continue to support the Dragons last night after another disappointment. All I said was," Your team is like your kids. No matter how much sh*t and hurt they put you through, you'll always love them."

Dragons achieved a hell of a lot this year, and the players, coaching staff and fans should hold our heads high. Sure we didn't get as far as we were hoping, but all that matters now is that we bounce back even stronger next year.

Big Red v Man

Juniors
I will always support the Dragons, through good times and bad, in first place or last place they are my team till i stop breathing...

cheers
Damo

Cooper-Man

Bench
Well put.
Trust me Dragons supporters, you would receive no 'hate' or criticism from other supporters if you weren't so cocky and arrogant.
When you act like this, it's just really fun for others to come in and say 'What was that?' when you lose, and seeing you with your heads down and mouths shut for once is so pleasing.
Maybe one day you'll gain respect from other supporters.
We know it's not all of you, but it's so hard to ignore the majority.

Mate, why are you even here. Seriously. Every supporter group has their share, especially YOUR TEAM. So why dont you MOVE on and worry about the grass on your side of the fence.

STEL, awesome post mate. I have been saying this for the last 8 weeks. I guess it wont change over night. BUT IT WILL HAPPEN.

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
Someone very sad asked herself why do we do this every year? Why do we the fans sit through the same thing every year, year after year?

WHY?

I'll tell you why! Because we are mental! Yes, we are Mental! And it is true, that some say we are mad, and we are. We are extremely mad.... but we are loyal. We are the Loyalest DAMN St George supporters, that the WORLD has bloody ever seen!

/inspirational speech

Perfect thread OurRedV:thumn

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
I always knew you were an intelligent guy Stel. I dont know what im going to do without the footy for the next 5 months. Bring on 2010.

LL3

Juniors

fantastic post

sting

Bench
Someone very sad asked herself why do we do this every year? Why do we the fans sit through the same thing every year, year after year?

WHY?

I'll tell you why! Because we are mental! Yes, we are Mental! And it is true, that some say we are mad, and we are. We are extremely mad.... but we are loyal. We are the Loyalest DAMN St George supporters, that the WORLD has bloody ever seen!

/inspirational speech

Perfect thread OurRedV:thumn

yeah this facebook status i saw was along those lines - why does she do this to herself year after year after f**king year.

i understand that, i am f**king gutted and now have to wait another year.
i just don't get what went wrong?

but still, we'll be back next year, i'll be renewing my membership soon it's on.

we will have learned and gained a lot as a team this year and will be stronger for it

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I thought you hatched a cunning plan to lead your followers to a better forum. How's that going Reefy?

Then you are a paranoid twat. I have not approached a single forum member about any such thing.
Such insecurities are typical of a St George supporter though.

Latest posts