What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It was meant to be a Harmony Day Game

>THA BIG WILLIE< said:
Last night, security wasnt that great. "The Kennel" area was awsome last night and now our supporter group actually consists of TRUE BULLDOG fans, the atmosphere from our section was awsome. The diks that started that fight behind the goal post whoever they were are a fkin disgrace and im seriously so sick of it and have been for a very long time. The bulldogs are trying but the telstra stadium security should be looked at because as someone mentioned earlier some of them do favours for there mates....pathetic.

I feel for every true bulldogs fan, the guys who are doing this may wear the jumper and gear but they obviously dont give a f**k about the club.

How can people act like this?

Its incomprehensible to me and I am sure it is to every other person on here.

Lunatics, is that what they think is fun?

innsaneink

Referee
Seems to me like if its in the slightest bit of an inconvenience to the Bulldogs club or its fans, the Bulldogs are prepared to take the chance on what we saw last Friday night.
So much for Noads claim theyre "doing all we can to curb this behaviour"...clearly theyre not, clearly theyre prepared to take chances....theyve had too many chances imo.
Dogs-Shame of the league.

gr8_1

Juniors
They were like hyenas on a carcass - RUGBY LEAGUE
STEVE MASCORD

19 March 2006
Sunday Telegraph

TELEVISION commentator Matthew Johns last night described how he saw a group of Bulldogs supporters set upon a man "like hyenas on a carcass".

Johns was leaving Telstra Stadium by car after the Dogs' 47-12 win against Wests Tigers on Friday night at Telstra Stadium.

He described what he saw near the neighbouring Novotel hotel as sickening.

"I looked up and there would have been about six to eight at first -- and I can't deny they had Bulldogs jerseys on," he said. "They were laying into this guy or a couple of guys.

"People were getting out of cars to try to settle it down, but it was out of control.

"I was watching from a distance ... and then all of a sudden, the best analogy I can use is being like hyenas on a carcass. Guys came sprinting past my car and just started laying in.

"It was pretty crook. There were people there with kids in the car and they were watching in disbelief."

Johns said he could not see the victim but heard on radio that one Wests Tigers fan had been taken to hospital.

"It wasn't like there were 10 supporters from the Tigers and 10 supporters from the Bulldogs standing there and they were fighting and all of a sudden some guys thought `I'll get up and get over there and give my mates a hand'," said Johns, who was working for Channel 9.

"The most sickening thing about it is that it was all supporters of one club picking on one guy and others would jump out of their cars, go over and kick or hit him and then jump back in and drive away."

Johns stressed that in his experience, most Bulldogs supporters were law-abiding and loved rugby league.

"On that side where we do our broadcast from, they're a really good, jovial mob who love their football," he said.

"But like it has been said a million times before, there's just an element there.

"And by the way some of them carried on last night, I don't think they're there for the football."

***MH*** said:
i would have loved to see steve clarke stop the game and tell the players to walk up the tunnel to see the crowd turn on the troublemakers..... people who really do want to see the game will want blood!

Thats gold, I can only imagine....... Would soon sort them out aye?

dodge said:
So NO Wests Tigers fans are to blame for what happened on Friday night? At all?

How can you sit there and say that? Because you're team won the premiership and you think you've earned the right to be arrogant?

Believe what you will. I was there, I know what I saw.

Bantering is part of football, I love getting into a banter session with opposition fans its gold and makes the night that much more enjoyable.

But lets face it even if the tigers fans had of said nothing the dogs fans would have picked em even if for the hell of it.

innsaneink

Referee
TUFF TITAN said:
No ID

By LUKE McILVEEN

March 21, 2006

BULLDOGS officials quietly scrapped a crowd control measure forcing fans to show ID before buying tickets because supporters complained of waiting too long in queues.

The decision to shelve the measure – introduced last season as part of a trumpeted crackdown on crowd violence – came after complaints from Bulldogs fans in the off-season.

But the officials were left red-faced on Friday when Canterbury fans once again showed why their club has the worst reputation in rugby league.

Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad introduced the proof-of-ID rule last July, after Canterbury fans exploded a firecracker during a match against St George.

The reasoning behind the rule was that fans would be less likely to make trouble if their details were registered.

By demanding ID from fans, police and club officials were able to match names to every seat in the stadium.

The move from general admission to ticketed seating gave the Bulldogs further control over their notorious supporters. But the identity checks took more time to get fans through the turnstiles, leading many to complain about the delays.

They also complained that their privacy was being invaded.

The Bulldogs refused to comment publicly yesterday, but The Daily Telegraph understands the club has few leads on the identities of those caught up in the brawls in the grandstand and outside the ground on Friday night.

Four men were charged after the violence, but only one fan has been banned from attending future games.

Video footage released by Channel 9 showed at least eight supporters in a brawl inside the stadium and an unknown number after the game.

A meeting to address the Canterbury crisis has been scheduled for tomorrow between Mr Noad, Police Commissioner Ken Moroney, NRL chief executive David Gallop and Police Minister Carl Scully.

Mr Gallop has not ruled out stripping the Bulldogs of competition points or fining the club.

As police yesterday scanned fresh security footage of the brawls outside the stadium, it emerged that only 30 officers were assigned to control the crowd of 32,578 on Friday night.

Police were backed up by 103 stadium security personnel, but a police spokeswoman refused to say whether one officer per 1000 fans was enough.

More details also emerged yesterday about an incident outside the stadium in which a middle-aged man was bashed and left lying in the middle of the road.

Police are investigating reports the Tigers fan was one of three who had challenged an intoxicated Bulldogs fan.

It's alleged the trio of Tigers supporters were in turn attacked by two carloads of men who came to their friend's aid
HOW DO THEY STOP WHAT GOES ON OUT SIDE THE GROUND ;()

Be interesting to see what sort of spin Graham Hughes puts on this.

I wonder if bulldogs will go back to this procedure and STICK WITH IT seeing as it apparently worked ...as there was no trouble afetr the explosives incident.

Bulldogs fans complain of waiting too long in queues??? :roll: Please...

..... opposition fans are complaining of broken limbs and blood loss.

ibeme

First Grade
BULLDOGS officials quietly scrapped a crowd control measure forcing fans to show ID before buying tickets because supporters complained of waiting too long in queues.

This bit makes it sound like it was a sinister move to keep it quiet. In reality, why would they have announced publicly to the troublemakers that they were dropping their guard?

It was a stupid move to drop it in the first place, but would have been even more stupid to announce it to the world.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
innsaneink said:
Be interesting to see what sort of spin Graham Hughes puts on this.

I wonder if bulldogs will go back to this procedure and STICK WITH IT seeing as it apparently worked ...as there was no trouble afetr the explosives incident.

Bulldogs fans complain of waiting too long in queues??? :roll: Please...

..... opposition fans are complaining of broken limbs and blood loss.

And what did the police outside the ground help do with that?

DJ1

Juniors
This identity thing is somewhat of a media beatup.

The situation is that it was actually a logistics issue.

Tickets can be bought and picked up at any Ticketek outlet and there is no centralised system in place to confirm or store the identity data.

Approx 85% of tickets are purchased with credit cards where identity is subject to privacy laws.

The remaining cash transactions are dominated by underage supporters with no ID.

Ticketeks system is not structured to facilitate an alternate ordering process with ID collection or confirmation and does not differentiate a Bulldogs game from any other NRL game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Get back to what the British did to stop it in the 80's. heavy police presence (paid for by Bulldogs), CCTV inside and out side the ground, crack down hard on the offenders. It worked in Soccer and RL in the UK and will work if the NSW authorities,Telstra and Bulldogs have the desire to make it work.
Some time spent looking at the social problems in these communitites and looking at the root cause wouldn't go amiss either!

Timmah

Staff member
El Diablo said:
it's all the police's fault now?

was Tigers' fans fault yesterday

I defy you to find a place where I placed sole blame on another supporter group...

The Tigers fans are to blame for part of what happened inside the stadium.

The Bulldogs fans are to blame for what happened outside the stadium (from reports anyway)

Explain to me why it's the clubs responsibility to man places such as the Novotel or the car parks? Should that not be SOP and Police's matter? I don't care if it's a Bulldogs fan, a Tigers fan or a 1995 Perth Reds fan - it's a criminal act in a the public domain - how can you seriously hold the club responsible for it?

simon says

First Grade
dodge said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you related to Hans Christian Anderson,the brothers Grimm?????

innsaneink

Referee
dodge said:
And what did the police outside the ground help do with that?

Haha...its the cops fault cause they werent there before these assaults took place.

Cops shouldve been there first, Wests Tigers fans shouldnt have been there at all....and then the Bulldogs fans wouldnt have bashed them...simple eh Dodge. :roll:

cainen

Juniors
dodge said:

The Bulldogs fans are to blame for what happened outside the stadium (from reports anyway)

And that means the Bulldogs fans are MOST to blame.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lets also keep it in perspective, it was only about 0.1% of the crowd causing problems. Shouldn't be too hard to sort out!

Timmah

Staff member
innsaneink said:
Haha...its the cops fault cause they werent there before these assaults took place.

Cops shouldve been there first, Wests Tigers fans shouldnt have been there at all....and then the Bulldogs fans wouldnt have bashed them...simple eh Dodge. :roll:

Exactly what am I supposed to say to that? What do you expect. These thugs will do nothing, and it appears the police and their presence do even less. What can the club do? WHAT CAN THE CLUB DO?

El Diablo

Post Whore
Perth Red said:
Lets also keep it in perspective, it was only about 0.1% of the crowd causing problems. Shouldn't be too hard to sort out!

we've been hearing that story for years

Latest posts