What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's time to go - Ray Warren

Third Bugler

Juniors
Fourex - Eh, every commentator curses us. At least it's better than commentating about the refs (Fox) or just commentating one side (ABC).

Rabs brings more excitement out of the box than any other commentator involved in the game. Sure, he's not the most analytical bloke but that's why Sterlo is there.

Warren is an embarrassment. I'm well and truly old enough to recall earlier and better RL commentators in Oz, and Warren cannot depart the game quick enough for me. He's just one more part of the crap that is Channel Nein.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Still the best caller in the game today.

Voss is ok, but isn't anything special and any attempt at fixing that just comes off as contrived. Was great as a sideline guy, merely ok as a commentator.

Ditto Smith.

Rest of the Fox team sucks. Under 20's guy has potential if they nurture him properly.

ABC crew would be great if they weren't so opinionated.

Sterlo is a much better commentator.

Vossy is an awful commentator.

Big Pete

Referee
Sterlo doesn't fulfill Rabs' role though.

And honestly, I don't think he could.

He's great where is and one of the few old players you don't lose respect for when they become commetators.

I understand it is a different sport but Richie Benaud's philosophy of not describing what the viewing is already watching works a treat and he doesn't blabber on about useless crap which makes him great to listen to.

I hate it how Rabbs breaks out in to calling the races during the games.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Can you see the Rugby League Player magazine on the side of the page? It's a little advertisment. Compare the pic of Gould on it to Gould now :shock:

Me and my GF have a drinking game that involves having a drink for every year we think he's aged since last time we saw him. She's been O/S for the last 3 weeks so i texted her a photo of him from friday night, she texted back a table full of 6 austrian vodkas to shoot... i think she under sold him.

Big Pete

Referee
Defs Cliff.

I've yet to see Rabs provoke Gould. He should know better than to react though.

typicalfan

Coach
Gus added nothing but biased dribble tonight. The best call Rabs made all night was when he made mention of the fact Gus had been backing for a penalty for the Dragons.

The Broncos are playing absolutely amazing....:roll: Wow what amazing insight.

He should be talking about tactics, not generalised waffle.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Does anybody else think that Gould tries to troll Rabs most of the time?

haha reminds me of a work mate, aged 40, who loves his facebook account who told me the other day about a revolutionary thing sweeping the internet called, and ill do my best to convey the pronunciation - "trowl-lin"

Suitman

Post Whore
I understand it is a different sport but Richie Benaud's philosophy of not describing what the viewing is already watching works a treat and he doesn't blabber on about useless crap which makes him great to listen to.

I hate it how Rabbs breaks out in to calling the races during the games.

Extraordinarily poor analogy.

Something happens in cricket, if you are lucky, about once every 5 minutes, over a six hour playing day.

Something happens in league about every ten seconds over 80 minutes.

If Richie was commentating League, we'd hear the teams announced for a pre-season trial, a half time summary in S.O.O, and the Dally M Award winner, in a whole season.

undertaker

Coach
Extraordinarily poor analogy.

Something happens in cricket, if you are lucky, about once every 5 minutes, over a six hour playing day.

Something happens in league about every ten seconds over 80 minutes.

If Richie was commentating League, we'd hear the teams announced for a pre-season trial, a half time summary in S.O.O, and the Dally M Award winner, in a whole season.

I know it's a little bit too late now as his best days are clearly behind him, but 10-20 yrs ago I would've loved to have heard Rabs in a 30min commentary stint at a cricket match. Minus all the bad language, the Billy Birmingham impersonation of him would've been spot on.

And Richie calling the League...."Marrrrrrrrvellous catch by Darius Boyd, he's got looooooooovely hands":lol::lol::lol: