What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's time to go - Ray Warren

Iafeta

Referee
Warren was calling Lewis Brown by the name of Lewis Jones consistently in the Warriors-Tigers game. The dude's an international footballer. Not a neville with three first grade games under his belt.

nrlnrl

First Grade
No thanks. Can't stand the merkin.

Give me Dan Ginnane as head commentator.

NO NO NO NO NO - I've only heard him 3 or 4 times on MNF & he's terrible. He only has 2 levels - talking & shouting, with the latter occurring way too much.

Apey

Staff member
Having watched the Fox replay the 9 call was far more dramatic.

Whether you like that or not is up to you but personally I enjoyed it more. Even with Rabs and Gould cursing us.

Agreed. I think Rabs still has the ability to do a good play-by-play call.

The random dribbling is frustrating though.

Brutus

Referee
Why are rabs and Gould attemptIng to sound like the two old complaining merkins at the end of the muppet show during every call ?

Gus actually looks like one of them.

12152009_muppets7.jpg

kbw

Bench
None of these Ch9 idiots are worth 2 cents.Their commentary is far from descriptive about the game. I know its TV and you can see it, but one night I was watching and it too about 3 sets of 6 before they actually described what was happening in the game.
Ray Warren is just a senile old fool, who also is not a particularly nice man.
Vos and Gould have their heads so far up their own backsides they can't see what is going on in front of them

Mr Saab

Referee
NO NO NO NO NO - I've only heard him 3 or 4 times on MNF & he's terrible. He only has 2 levels - talking & shouting, with the latter occurring way too much.

Exactly. He is rubbish on radio. I know he has to make it dramtic on radio, but he is over the top. His screaming of "its a TRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY" is bad

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Say what you like about Voss, but at least he's the only one of them who watches any other sport and has an idea of what's going on in the world outside of League and having a punt.

Billythekid

First Grade
Warren was calling Lewis Brown by the name of Lewis Jones consistently in the Warriors-Tigers game. The dude's an international footballer. Not a neville with three first grade games under his belt.

To be fair he has been playing like one in the centres.

Just This Bloke

Juniors
While Ray did indeed start losing it a few years ago now, he still has the best, most exciting, powerful voice amongst commentators. thats probably why hes still 9's #1.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
9 know they could have Porky Pig calling the game and it would rate the same. So why bother getting rid of the nuffies and putting in some decent callers if it won't make any difference. Apart from that it's obviously a boys club & they're sticking together.

big_matt

Juniors
As well as perhaps getting to see some league on tv in Melbourne, one of the biggest advantages of moving to a new network in the upcoming tv deal would be getting rid of all these morons at nein. Warren spends half the telecast telling us what bullsh1t series of underbelly is starting soon.

The day after the eels vs storm grand final, an american guy who was over working at our company for 2 weeks actually said to me (without joking): "Is it usual on these occasions that the commentary team picks a side to support during the game?" because the bias was so obvious he thought it must be tradition. Was the same this year when "Here's the worlds best player" got blurted out every time Benji did something decent.

I've lived in many countries and watched sport all over the place and I can't think of a worse commentary team anywhere. In fact I remember saying to an Eels fan at the GF that one of the best things about being there in person was not having to hear the commentary.

Mr Twig

I think it's a radio thing, his calls on ch9 have been normal (talking, no shouting)

simmo1

First Grade
For some reason commentators in Australian sport seem to always need to resort to dribbling about rubbish that has nothing to do with the game. Both NRL and Cricket commentators leading the way.

I like how commentators in American sports (as well as some English sport) will call the game and add some analysis without jibbering on about some other bullshit.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
For some reason commentators in Australian sport seem to always need to resort to dribbling about rubbish that has nothing to do with the game. Both NRL and Cricket commentators leading the way.
I remember some wanker called Big Daryl from the 80s or 90s whose catchphrase was "That's HUUUGE" He was f**king unbearable but had a long career on 9.