What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary One Step Away from the Dragons!!

cussy

Juniors
It makes no sense for dogs to go after Foran but get rid of Hasler. Hasler is the reason Foran would go apart from $$$$

Sigurd

Juniors
A pathetic strike rate is a function of knowing sh1t from clay.

He ain't no sports journalist, except in title. I'm right and you're a petty, vindictive and stubborn fool.

Straight Shooter

Tell us what you really think. I don't know what you are arguing about but I just wanted to say he has an excellent username:rolleyes:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
As each day goes by an nothing is announced, a few grey hairs start sprouting on my head.
If the club actually can't afford Cleary then so be it, but I refuse to believe that... I don't really know how the club could even get itself into that position in the first place.

The Board needs to understand that this man will bring something special and something different to our club to break up what we've been experiencing over the last 4 or 5 years. He's a great coach, and any recruitment woes should sort themselves out when a team has a great coach.
Please get this done. Please.

Uplifting

Juniors
As each day goes by an nothing is announced, a few grey hairs start sprouting on my head.
If the club actually can't afford Cleary then so be it, but I refuse to believe that... I don't really know how the club could even get itself into that position in the first place.

The Board needs to understand that this man will bring something special and something different to our club to break up what we've been experiencing over the last 4 or 5 years. He's a great coach, and any recruitment woes should sort themselves out when a team has a great coach.
Please get this done. Please.
I've been thinking, would the Dragons have managed to sign two players like MacDonald and McInness with out telling them in no uncertain terms who would be coaching them?

I reckon the club's made a decision and the new guys know about it and are sworn to secrecy about it. If there's going to be a change they'll announce it after the final series.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Where else will Cleary go? When you think about it... Our club is the only destination for him.

Sure, there's talks that Hasler might be forced out but I think those rumours have been squashed. Besides, Hasler has been too successful with the Dogs to be sacked.

Kearney got the Warriors job, so that just leaves us. There's literally nowhere else he could go.

Dea

Juniors
Frizz has just resigned with us. Surely he is smart enough to not resign if Mary is staying as coach. The signing of Cleary would, I imagine, be a selling point for making a long term commitment.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Where else will Cleary go? When you think about it... Our club is the only destination for him.

Sure, there's talks that Hasler might be forced out but I think those rumours have been squashed. Besides, Hasler has been too successful with the Dogs to be sacked.

Kearney got the Warriors job, so that just leaves us. There's literally nowhere else he could go.
Logically you make a lot of sense.........but we're talking about the Dragons here. Only they could find a way to lose a bidding war on a coach when there are no other bidders for his signature.........

BennyV

Referee

The issue isn't whether or not Cleary would coach us if he's given the chance. The question is whether or not we give him the chance.

grouch

First Grade
Hi All , all this talk about coaching.

I have previously stated that great players make great coaches. The influence of a coach is an important element but far overreached by many on the forum.

Time and again plain stats point to the basic need to have a great roster of talent. If a club has not not the $$$ in 3rd party deals to recruit then you are cactus.

This isn't meant to be a long winded blah blah. Have a look at Ricky Stuart at the raiders. They have had a great year. There run started with the mid season add of Leulua and Paulo. They can fit these guys into the cap. Overall right back over the years Ricky has about Paul McGregor's win ratio. Does that mean that Ricky is really mediocre or good. I reckon he is no better or worse than most coaches. Even Bennent and Gibson had their stats nose dive when they were at clubs without the $$$ to buy top players. Craig Bellamy has stayed long term at one club City.

Basically saying within a small window coaches are not as important as promoted. Dragons need the $$$ in 3rd party agreements to get back on top regardless of the coach.
No.

Frizz has just resigned with us. Surely he is smart enough to not resign if Mary is staying as coach. The signing of Cleary would, I imagine, be a selling point for making a long term commitment.

I just don't think you could keep such circumstances (the signing of Cleary), a secret. James Hooper would be over it like a rash.

Straight Shooter

twinkletoes

Juniors
The code for "We are conducting an internal review by a respected outsider.." is the status quo will remain but we will give McGregor some more assistants.... That's the word I am hearing..believe it or not!!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Cleary comes in as Coaching Director and has a say over everything Mary does I will be happy with that as well. Although Mary is clueless in tactics, Cleary will fix that I am sure.

I have a feeling Demitriou will be Head Coach and Cleary will be Director and Mary will be Assistant. He will cop a demotion like McFadden which may force him to resign or stick in if he wants to stay involved.

BUT in saying that, If Saints are as broke as people think, how can they afford to create a position like Coaching Director which would carry a fair size salary?

St Georgio

Juniors

BUT in saying that, If Saints are as broke as people think, how can they afford to create a position like Coaching Director which would carry a fair size salary?

Like i said in another post the illawarra boys will look after one of there own by not sacking him, it's all about not losing face!

BrissyRedV

Bench
If Cleary comes in as Coaching Director and has a say over everything Mary does I will be happy with that as well. Although Mary is clueless in tactics, Cleary will fix that I am sure.

I have a feeling Demitriou will be Head Coach and Cleary will be Director and Mary will be Assistant. He will cop a demotion like McFadden which may force him to resign or stick in if he wants to stay involved.

Not forking out for an external review when our issues and problems are already well known would have been a good start...

BrissyRedV

Bench
Everyone is hoping for Cleary but I think JD looks like a great option to me. He is doing great things and seems to have player support across the board. I'd be happy if he was given the reins.
Properly supported he could barely an option, albeit a rookie one. Bring in some experienced assistants like say Brennan and I would be happy for the most part. It is just about at the point of anything but Mary.