What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary One Step Away from the Dragons!!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Apparently he is held in high regard for the work he is doing by the board. so it would not suprise me if he is appointed. They are impressed with what he is done but I would also apply the same for Mat Head as he has done a great job for the NYC.. Maybe promote Head to Cutters and JD to first grade. You never know JD may have the same success as Robinson and Maguire had as rookies.

Hornby and Young should be looking to ply their trade in England and see how they go as it will give them great experience. Then they can come back to the Dragons if they prove themselves.

Carlton

Juniors
People say we can't afford to pay Mary out I think we can't afford not to get rid oh him
I don't understand why we cant pay him out as well. Is Mary employed by the Football club? I assume so and maybe they don't have money. The Leagues club looks like it does, so maybe they should be chipping in with a bit more than the pittance they put in at the moment.

The Leagues club purpose is to promote Rugby League in the St George and other areas. I don't know that you could argue they are fulfilling that purpose at the moment.

BennyV

Referee
Everyone is hoping for Cleary but I think JD looks like a great option to me. He is doing great things and seems to have player support across the board. I'd be happy if he was given the reins.
No way man, we just got rid of the guy. Give McInnes a chance...

Reactions: jak

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Cleary is the one we want.
Not one of the past Dragons players in Head, Hornby or Young.
Not our current assistant coach in JD, although he has been great for us.

No more rookies, no more promotions for the boys, we need someone outside of the club. Someone with runs on the board. Cleary will bring us experience and a fresh outlook. He's brought clubs from the ground up in his previous endeavours and I truly believe he can do the same for us. We need a completely new coaching and conditioning staff at the club and start anew.
Cleary is the kind of coach that you WANT to play for.

blacksafake

First Grade
Apparently he is held in high regard for the work he is doing by the board. so it would not suprise me if he is appointed. They are impressed with what he is done but I would also apply the same for Mat Head as he has done a great job for the NYC.. Maybe promote Head to Cutters and JD to first grade. You never know JD may have the same success as Robinson and Maguire had as rookies.

Hornby and Young should be looking to ply their trade in England and see how they go as it will give them great experience. Then they can come back to the Dragons if they prove themselves.
I am hoping for Cleary but if it means getting rid of McGregor i can probably live with this.

giboz71

First Grade

It's pretty clear that JD can coach. He was the architect of a premiership winning Cows attack last year. And he's done well with the Cutters, albeit at NSW Cup level.

But it's a bit much to ask a rookie coach to come up with something with the holes in our spine like we do now. Our spine is the complete polar opposite of the spine he had at the Cows. Ball playing fullback, dynamic running 5/8 with speed, smart hooker and the best half ever to walk the planet. We're not even in the same hemisphere as Coote, Morgan, JT and Granville.

If we do appoint JD, we need to give him something better to work with.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
If Cleary comes in as Coaching Director and has a say over everything Mary does I will be happy with that as well. Although Mary is clueless in tactics, Cleary will fix that I am sure.

I have a feeling Demitriou will be Head Coach and Cleary will be Director and Mary will be Assistant. He will cop a demotion like McFadden which may force him to resign or stick in if he wants to stay involved.

BUT in saying that, If Saints are as broke as people think, how can they afford to create a position like Coaching Director which would carry a fair size salary?

Slippery l like your thinking.
Good or bad I think thats what is happening

SaintHarry

Juniors
I am hearing Tyson extending his stay was based on who is going to be the coach next year and beyond. Read this as you may however the rorters were close in signing him.

Im actually with you on this one even though i haven't heard it from anyone i couldnt wrap my head around it .. why resign ? There has to be something to persuade you or something fresh ..new to want to make you stay

Uplifting

Juniors

Slippery, yes I also don't underistimate the role Matt Head has played in the u20s year. Hope they go all the way.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I would like to say that every coach has been a "rookie" at some time, Bennett, Bellamy, Green etc were all 1st timers at one stage. The issue is that some go on and some fall away.
Appointing rookies before their time has always been fraught with danger and in particular when those rookies are previous players who were legends and bleed the colours. Not many succeed under those appointment criteria.
Bellamy, for example, played for the Raiders for 10 yrs, became their lower grade coach, then moved to the Broncos as assistant to Bennett.
His first "rookie" assignment was head coach of the Melbourne Storm.
Trent Robinson played with the Tigers and Eels before getting a coaching gig at Catalans.
His first "rookie" assignment was head coach of the Roosters
On the flip side
Brian Smith played for the Dragons and then the Rabbits.
His first coaching as a "rookie" was with the Illawarra Steelers with a success rate of 33% (Mmm), even at the Roosters his success rate was only 46% (not flattering). However, he has enjoyed huge success at Hull, Us and the Eels. BUT, his last coaching gig was only at a 27% success rate with Wakefield.

JD is a rookie, there's no denying that. But taking a line through Bellamy and even Robinson and add the fact the comments passed on by the players about him (the latest today by Hutch), he would at least get the best out of the players on the field. He also seems to have tactics and plans.

There is no guarantee that Cleary or even Brian Smith, could come and turn the clubs fortunes and make a grand final etc, and nether can JD, however, I think we would all be much happier to see our team each week produce attractive footy, having a go, being in the battle and even scoring points. At least then we can enjoy watching a game win lose or draw. Let's be entertained!

At the moment, under McGregor, we are all watching grass grow and paint dry.

possm

Coach
Well I've said it before; I'd like Cleary as head coach with JD and Brennan the assistants for first grade. Give Head the Cutter job.

Emu01

Juniors
I am hearing Tyson extending his stay was based on who is going to be the coach next year and beyond. Read this as you may however the rorters were close in signing him.
Yes I heard Tyson say something like "He likes the direction the club is heading,it's been a bit rough this past season".
Surly he means Cleary is the direction the club is heading not Mary.

SBD82

Coach
Anyone else starting to get the feeling that this is just not happening?

I don't know if it's just my inner pessimist, but it just seems like there would at least be some leaks happening.

Latest posts