What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary One Step Away from the Dragons!!

SBD82

Coach
Lower grades are still playing finals footy........the silence is expected and justified.
Fully understand the official silence from the club. I just mean that I thought there'd be more leaking happening.

Hope it happens. Probably just prepping myself in case there's disappointment.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I think that the Club is heading in the right direction. Both the lower grade coaches are
great and have their teams playing inspiring football. They should clear the decks and get rid of Mary and make Hornby the ambassador to replace Wendell. Young could coach the Under 20's. Demetriou should be kept in both roles to give Cleary some direction as he would be pretty clueless not having seen the lower grade performers. I would be happy for Demetriou and Head to share the First Grade coaching role as they seem to be on the ball, inspire the players and get good results from the players when the chips are down. Continuity in the coaching ranks is important. Rewards
should only go to high achievers not excuse
mongers. Hutchison should be given a good go at half-back as he hardly puts a foot wrong. At the moment Millward is displaying a lot of horse sense unlike Mary who looks
and sounds shell shocked. Go the mighty Dragons!

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Anyone else starting to get the feeling that this is just not happening?

I don't know if it's just my inner pessimist, but it just seems like there would at least be some leaks happening.

In contrast there's been nothing from the club (except from a few telemarketers) confirming McGregor is coach for next year. Only that a "review" is being conducted, whatever that means!

dannyt

Coach
We will know (not soon enough) whether we have a capable FG coach, or are stuck with mary for 12 more months of torture.

So what are you going to do if we have mary for another year?

Will you renew Red V membership? Will you go to games? Will you watch on TV and see how it goes?

I haven't decided as I'm still jaded from this season, but I'll probably renew Red-V just before season kick-off and attend home games + ANZAC day. I'd like to plan for semi-finals, but not hopeful if mary is coach.

So what's everyone else doing?

Dragon66

Juniors
If there are no changes to the coaching structure, I am not prepared to go through another season like the last five.

Mary might say we made the semis last year, but other than some rare bright spots, the standard of performance was pretty woeful.

Same story this year, except we did' not make the semis.

The only way to get change is to send a strong message, and the strongest message we can send is to withhold joining until there is a clean out.

If you care for our players, do it for them because they are the ones who pay the price for a clueless coaching staff.

hillbillyserb

Juniors
Withholding membership fees is not in the benefit of the club but its perhaps the only thing that may force the hand of the board.

Doust will not give up his job or the jobs of his buddies to only have to go and stack shelves at coles.

emack

Juniors
Withholding membership fees is not in the benefit of the club but its perhaps the only thing that may force the hand of the board.

Doust will not give up his job or the jobs of his buddies to only have to go and stack shelves at coles.

..................bugger...............there goes shopping at Coles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrissyRedV

Bench
The effect of boycotting matches and ceasing memberships will be devastating on a club that is in a desperate, financial state.

It wi be counterproductive.
The same could be said of financially supporting the management that has put us in this position. We need change and for some this seems the only Avenue of protest available. Hopefully short term pain will lead to long term gain.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Nah more like it will happen but just waiting for the season to finish for all grades which could possibly be after this weekend. For JD it will be this weekend so maybe we will hear something when it's over.

The Tyson re-signing, McInnes news have happened because there is no impact to the Cutters or NYC I would say.

Imagine if Cutters win GF and JD gets the nod to take over Mary. JD will probably mark it down as the best year he has ever had and deservedly so. It sort of makes sense that the Saints are looking at Cleary as a coaching director now if they have earmarked JD as coach for 2017.

At the end of the day it's all about money and the Saints Board cannot be happy with the crowd numbers and negaive attention they are being faced with especially on Social Media? Cannot be good for the club at all. Sacking Mary will definately aleviate alot of this negative stuff. If they keep him then there is something definately not right within the club.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Notice how Cleary was linked with the Dogs and it lasted a short time? They must know something hence cooled on their interest and stuck with Hasler. The scum want Foran and will keep Hasler just to get him. Once Hasler screws up they will flick him but will still have Foran in their books which I am assuming is their plan.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I have written previously on this and other threads about the coaching situation at our Dragons.
There are so many permutations that I and we can go through, some are wishful thinking, some have merits and some are just wildly exaggerated.
It's a given, IMO, that McGregor cannot survive as HC for 2017.
The fact that the club has not endorsed McGregor for next season (publicly stating) is encouraging. After all the negativity, through both social media and the press, I would have thought Doust or any member of the management would front the media with a statement with words such as "there has been a lot of speculation surrounding HC Paul McGregor, I am here to state categorically that Paul will be our HC for 2017" or something similar. This would at least put all the rumours and speculation to bed. But silence. Waiting for the "external" review could be seen as even a further delay tactic to hopefully allow the angst of us supporters to die down and the focus shift elsewhere.
Why the delay?
If the delay is so not to have an impact on the lower grades finals chances, then one could only assume that decisions moving forward have an impact on both lower grade coaches. Maybe their being promoted. Maybe their being shafted. Maybe McGregor will be their new coach next year. All of which would have an impact on their psyche whilst supposedly being focused on winning their premierships.
I also read that this Friday is the Dragons awards night, again this could be another reason to delay announcements. Present a united front approach, so to speak.
We also cannot categorically state that Cleary is coming or not. He states he hasn't even spoken to the Dragons. Maybe that's also a delay tactic, maybe it's actual fact. ATM Cleary has a job with the NRL and that's all he needs to say.
It is also noticed that McGregor has appeared in any videos or been present at our lower grades finals matches, again hardly the actions of a HC in my opinion.

We are all desperate to rid McGregor from our coaching ranks and such we hang on every word, analyse every press release or look to any sign that he would be removed. Every day that passes makes the situation more desperate, however, after looking at all the "delays" we again have to remain patient. Everything will finish either this weekend or in 2 more weeks. The important thing is for us to remain united in our actions on #McGrexit.

since77

Juniors
The effect of boycotting matches and ceasing memberships will be devastating on a club that is in a desperate, financial state.

It wi be counterproductive.

You're completely wrong. It is the ONLY thing that will actually be productive - it's the only leverage and motivator for change that dissatisfied members have, and trust me there will be a tipping point where the board have to act.

Nich

Juniors
Mary was at the Cutters game sitting with Doust chatting and watching the game. I don't think he is going anywhere.

Sigurd

Juniors
Mary was at the Cutters game sitting with Doust chatting and watching the game. I don't think he is going anywhere.
I hope I'm wrong but it's as I said several days ago. The "review" will fizzle out and be forgotten, negotiations with Cleary will break down by which time it will be time for pre-season training so the club won't able to replace McGregor then. Of course it's absolute BS but this is how they will try to justify it.

Latest posts