What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary One Step Away from the Dragons!!

Jubileeboy

First Grade
We wont sign no one not cleary not toovey not smith not anybody we dont money to hop on a bus from parra you think the club has money to payout marys contract plus sign a half decent coach we should be storming the leagues club with pitch forks i say!

Again, your post is a load of shit.
Is this the lunchroom talk for all the bus drivers?
Probably got the train back home to Wollongong, hey?

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Joint Venture Board has three alternatives:-
1. Sack the Coach/es.
2. Bring in a Coaching Director above the
Coach/es.
3. Do nothing.
What do the Forum Members think will happen and when?

The Joint Venture Board has three alternatives:-
1. Sack the Coach/es.
2. Bring in a Coaching Director above the
Coach/es.
3. Do nothing.
What do the Forum Members think will happen and when?
I think we'll sign Reserve Grade Ray, Josh Starling, Nathan Green, whoever the Titans have to clear to keep Hayne and probably Super League Luke. And run last in 2017. That's about it.

SaintHarry

Juniors
Again, your post is a load of shit.
Is this the lunchroom talk for all the bus drivers?
Probably got the train back home to Wollongong, hey?

Elaborate on " load of shit " if you dont mind.. we havent signed any coach mary will be there next year the club had to organize another bus company (cheaper) to take us back home .. and also you mentioned at the being the word "again" show me one comment on here posted by me that isnt the truth ? If you cant i suggest you take your load of shit and use it as tooth paste to clean your teeth.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Elaborate on " load of shit " if you dont mind.. we havent signed any coach mary will be there next year the club had to organize another bus company (cheaper) to take us back home .. and also you mentioned at the being the word "again" show me one comment on here posted by me that isnt the truth ? If you cant i suggest you take your load of shit and use it as tooth paste to clean your teeth.

Nothing to do with the coach. I was referring to your claim for the 2nd time in as many weeks, that a multi-million dollar organisation had to make arrangements with another bus company, at the end of the game, to get the squad back to Wollongong?
Your first post on the matter a while back, claimed it was because of non-payment but now you're saying it's because it was cheaper. Which one was it mate and why are you the only person that has even heard of this?

Dragon for life

Juniors
I have a strange feeling that Ivan Cleary wIll not be the answer. I would prefer Tony Smith, Michael Hagan, Geoff Toovey, Jason Demetriou or Matt Head. I do not think
that Cleary is a motivational or inspirational coach which is what we need to lift our players. Further I think that he has a success rate under 50%. Our two lower grade coaches seem to have the ability to lift the performance of players. Mary was typically Mr Nice Guy but where did that get us as players knew that if they did not perform they would probably be retained. Accordingly poor play was perpetuated.
Agree with Toovey for the position. He has a proven track record and god knows why the eagles let him go.

Maximus

Coach
Which narrows it down to Bellamy, Green, Robinson or Bennett. Thats all.

Using a winning percentage alone is not enough to judge a coach. It's the equivalent of saying Hazem El Mazri was the best player to ever play because he scored the most points. Or that Merritt deserved to play origin because he was the best try scorer for so long. There's a lot more factors involved, with the obvious one being the team itself.

If you look even the tiniest bit deeper at Cleary, his career is very impressive. He took the Warriors to the finals 4/6 years he was there, and would have been 5/6 except they lost points due to being over the cap the previous year (before he started). That record included a grand final. By comparison, the Warriors have made the finals 3/15 years without him. Those stats clearly indicate that theres a far deeper cultural issue at the Warriors, and that Cleary was able to overcome that to build success.

You then look at Penrith. Before him coming along, Panthers had made the finals once in 8 years, narrowly avoided the spoon and had salary cap issues that make our club look like a well-oiled machine. Within 2 years, he re-vamped the roster and built to a Top 4 team and a pre-lim final. Yes, he had a crappy 2015 with an almost reserve grade side for most of the season due to a horrible injury run, but the evidence is there. And that rebuilding is something we will need over the next years too.

He is by far the best coach on the market, and better than half the coaches currently employed. To say he's a level above Mary is the understatement of the century; he's in a whole new league to McGregor. Not signing him would be a monumental f**k up.

Great post. I hate when people just post winning percentages without any context. Cleary is exactly what we need.

As someone else mentioned, the other year at the Warriors was the year Sonny Fai disappeared. Any coach who can get his team up to win 7 games under those circumstances is clearly a great motivator.

Agree with Toovey for the position. He has a proven track record and god knows why the eagles let him go.

Proven track record? He took over a team that in the previous 5 seasons had gone Runners Up, Premiers, Qualifying Final (losing to the cheats who won the premiership), Qualifying final (losing to the premiers), Premiers.

He walked into a team with the likes of Watmough, Ballin, DCE, Foran, Stewart x2, Lyon and Matai.

Any coach who failed in that situation is clearly the worst in history.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If Cleary is serious about coaching he should be on the blower to Doust and co.

After watching both the Cutters and now U20's, a decent coach would be able to see the potential that is coming through and know that the future is bright. Cleary is no dummy either, he would be able to further develop these youngsters and squad members to reach potential.
My biggest fear is that Merkin Muppet McGregor will still be in charge and these young stars will loose their shine or be told lies about there prospects and therefore look elsewhere for a real coach and opportunity.

I realise we have to be a little patient as the boys from the Cutters and U20's are still high in the battle for their premierships, however, as soon as their commitments have finished, there would be no reason to wait any longer.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
If we had looked at McGregor's lack of success with the Cutters and other teams
we would not have employed him as a coach. Past success is one of a dozen factors that recruiters use in targeted selection. Everyone has a right to have an
opinion and if Cleary comes out as the best candidate that is fine. Nothing succeeds like success. The Dragons should be in the finals every year but lately they can not even win half of the games they play and keep missing out and offer pathetic excuses.

FlameThrower

Bench
So many posts and so many variations to the coaching scenario....at the end of the day...if all of this comes to a big fat zero, and we see no change, then get ready for a meltdown of biblical proportions....

Maximus

Coach
If we had looked at McGregor's lack of success with the Cutters and other teams
we would not have employed him as a coach. Past success is one of a dozen factors that recruiters use in targeted selection. Everyone has a right to have an
opinion and if Cleary comes out as the best candidate that is fine. Nothing succeeds like success. The Dragons should be in the finals every year but lately they can not even win half of the games they play and keep missing out and offer pathetic excuses.

Cleary has been successful as a coach. A premiership isn't the only measure of success.

mickeylane

Bench
Cleary WILL Sign..

the biggest sticking point is that he wants to appoint his own lower grade coaches.....obviously wants complete control of all grades....why wouldn't you....

BennyV

Referee
That's a pretty big issue because the lower grade coaches are doing a good job
Meh, gotta trust Cleary's judgement. Holden Cup changes next year anyway, so I wouldn't be too fussed. He's got a good record of picking his direct reports.

This is assuming mickeylane isn't full of it!

SaintHarry

Juniors
Nothing to do with the coach. I was referring to your claim for the 2nd time in as many weeks, that a multi-million dollar organisation had to make arrangements with another bus company, at the end of the game, to get the squad back to Wollongong?
Your first post on the matter a while back, claimed it was because of non-payment but now you're saying it's because it was cheaper. Which one was it mate and why are you the only person that has even heard of this?

I read ... maybe you should try it sometime thats right i did say that earlier in the week you or anyone else dont have to believe me it is what it is and you're getting worked up about it because you are unaware of what iv mentioned but yet you cant prove me wrong ? Heres a tip if you want to correct someone atleast have something to back your case not "thats a load of shit" oh yee of little knowledge.

I was referring to your claim for the 2nd time in as many weeks, that a multi-million dollar organisation had to make arrangements with another bus company..

This multi-million dollar organisation that you refer to can't pay its debts as and when they fall due.

Another classic smokescreen by JBoy. Keep cheering on the mismanagement, son.

Straight Shooter