What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary One Step Away from the Dragons!!

Mr Red

First Grade
Cleary WILL Sign..

the biggest sticking point is that he wants to appoint his own lower grade coaches.....obviously wants complete control of all grades....why wouldn't you....

I don't blame any coach wanting to select their own team to work with. After all they will be getting judged on success alone so you would obviously want to make sure you have a team you can trust and know you can work with.
But if the 20's or cutters win the Comp it does pose an interesting situation....
Surely they could come to some agreement if what you are saying is true....

Jubileeboy

First Grade
I read ... maybe you should try it sometime thats right i did say that earlier in the week you or anyone else dont have to believe me it is what it is and you're getting worked up about it because you are unaware of what iv mentioned but yet you cant prove me wrong ? Heres a tip if you want to correct someone atleast have something to back your case not "thats a load of shit" oh yee of little knowledge.

Oh you read it! Why didn't you say? Then it must be true....lol

Was it the Lurker or the Mole ?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Cleary WILL Sign..

the biggest sticking point is that he wants to appoint his own lower grade coaches.....obviously wants complete control of all grades....why wouldn't you....

I think the biggest sticking point for Cleary is McGregor, Young and Hornby.
If the "management" is unwilling to sack them, then they would want them in some kind of assistant roles.
Cleary most probably wants to select his own assistants, wether that be JD or Brennan or anyone else.

The only 100% issue is if our "management" keeps pushing their agenda, Cleary will probably walk away and join the Warriors and we will be left with what we have now.
"Management" would probably then state:
"We offered Ivan Cleary a senior role with the Dragons to which he declined, so considering all factors and that Paul McGregor still has a year to run on his current contract, we will reassess our position again at the end of 2017. We would then ask all members to give 100% support to the club by continuing their memberships and going to games".

The next 2 or 3 weeks will be interesting with celebration or capitulation..............it just depends on which one!

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I would not be terminating Demetriou and Head as they are outstanding coaches. The First Grade Coach looks after the First Grade
Squad of 25-30 players and can appoint his own assistants. One thing the Board should get credit for is that the two lower grades are highly competitive and well managed. When Bennett left the Club he took at least five players with him Boyd, Costigan, McKinnon, Scott and Smith which decimated
the Club up until now. The Lower Grades are
fine and should not be destabilised by bringing in outside coaches who will poach those players when they leave. I see a golden era ahead and we should not rock the good work that has been done.

TruSaint

Referee
I would not be terminating Demetriou and Head as they are outstanding coaches. The First Grade Coach looks after the First Grade
Squad of 25-30 players and can appoint his own assistants. One thing the Board should get credit for is that the two lower grades are highly competitive and well managed. When Bennett left the Club he took at least five players with him Boyd, Costigan, McKinnon, Scott and Smith which decimated
fine and should not be destabilised by bringing in outside coaches who will poach those players when they leave. I see a golden era ahead and we should not rock the good work that has been done.

Great post...

hewi

Bench
Three thinks must be settled post haste, hooker, half and coach. The coach will decide the other two and with the present incumbent coach I think the cupboard will remain pretty bare. Speed is of the essence here IMO . On another note is Nona worth trying at half considering his form in the semis?

Como Connection

First Grade
Three thinks must be settled post haste, hooker, half and coach. The coach will decide the other two and with the present incumbent coach I think the cupboard will remain pretty bare. Speed is of the essence here IMO . On another note is Nona worth trying at half considering his form in the semis?
Kurt Mann must be given first go in 7.

getsmarty

Immortal
Kurt Mann must be given first go in 7.

Yes..agree..Why didn't supercoach play Mann in the halves for the cutters when he dropped him after round 2 ? He knew that Benji's hamstring was dodgy and had ample time to try Mann in the cutters knowing that he then had the options of Hutch and Mann for First Grade. It's called forward planning. Surely that's not so difficult to work out?

BennyV

Referee
Get what you're saying, but I disagree. If havingpower over the full coaching team, including 20s and NSW Cup is what it takes to get Cleary over the line, we would be mad not to do it. Keep in mind, this does not mean that he wont keep JD or Head on board, just that he wants the final say. Which is completely acceptable, considering his experience in rebuilding junior pathways systems.

When the alternative is Mary as coach, i couldn't give a f**k who coaches the lower grades. Keep in mind that u20s won't be St George Illawarra Dragons as of next year too.

20s and Reserve Grade success has a big impact on players coming through to first, so its completely understandable that Cleary would want someone he could trust in charge of those teams. And again, that may well be Head and JD. If that really is the only hurdle remaining, its an absolute no brainer.

Lower grades could go 11 in a row, but as long as the 1st grade coach is a dud there wont be no golden era.

The Doc

Juniors
Yes..agree..Why didn't supercoach play Mann in the halves for the cutters when he dropped him after round 2 ? He knew that Benji's hamstring was dodgy and had ample time to try Mann in the cutters knowing that he then had the options of Hutch and Mann for First Grade. It's called forward planning. Surely that's not so difficult to work out?
I find that baffling also. He had no intention of using hutch, proof was his continuous selection of mcrone.
So why not give mann a run in the halves for cutters?
Its not like he could say "i didnt want to impact hutchs progress as he is in line for a call up when benji gets injured".
Mann played extremely well on the wing in first grade, but knowing benji wont be here in 2017, and no standouts available on the market, Mann should have been given a run at 7 or 6 in the cutters.
Mary showed he has no idea when it comes to forward planning.

Mr Red

First Grade
When Bennett left the Club he took at least five players with him Boyd, Costigan, McKinnon, Scott and Smith which decimated the Club up until now. .

Oh dear....this old chestnut again....
Bennett took Boyd and Adam cuthbertson.... That's about it.

The rest found their way to Newcastle either before Bennett signed with them..ie McKinnon, or due to dragons not wanting them.. ie Scott, Costigan, Smith....

merahputih

Juniors
I recall at the time that that Beau Scott was reportedly keen to stay with the Dragons but was told to look elsewhere. Had quite a few good years in him then.

St Georgio

Juniors
I recall at the time that that Beau Scott was reportedly keen to stay with the Dragons but was told to look elsewhere. Had quite a few good years in him then.
Oh well some here like to throw players out the door quite prematurely, seems they have this addiction to thinking every pontential 20 year old will become the next Laury Daley.

Mr Red

First Grade
Correct..
Bennett actually told scott to go back and give the dragons final option in signing him before accepting the Knights offer, but the dragons didn't think Scott was worth the money, So he signed with the Knights.
Yet somehow for some people this translates to "Bennett stole our players..." Go figure...

Latest posts