What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary One Step Away from the Dragons!!

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Club has been in disarray since Bennett
left which is 5 years ago. The Board has a lot to answer for! At least this year we had the joy to watch the lower grades play great football. The Board needs to pull its finger out and make sure the Club performs every
year not just 1 in 6 years. As other members have said why didn't they sign Bennett for 5 years? Why let Brett Morris go a year early when he was our best attacking player so that they could keep Thompson who is inconsistent and rarely scores tries? Morris would score 16 tries a year through sheer brilliance. Why did they resign Rein when they knew that he was erratic and that even Fien was better? Why haven't they had a decent half-back since Hornby? Why did they buy such hopeless players to replace representative players? The list goes on and on.They buy crap and still can not manage the salary cap. I am off to see my shrink Ron Casey!

dannyt

Coach
Great post. I hate when people just post winning percentages without any context. Cleary is exactly what we need.

As someone else mentioned, the other year at the Warriors was the year Sonny Fai disappeared. Any coach who can get his team up to win 7 games under those circumstances is clearly a great motivator.

Proven track record? He took over a team that in the previous 5 seasons had gone Runners Up, Premiers, Qualifying Final (losing to the cheats who won the premiership), Qualifying final (losing to the premiers), Premiers.

He walked into a team with the likes of Watmough, Ballin, DCE, Foran, Stewart x2, Lyon and Matai.

Any coach who failed in that situation is clearly the worst in history.
I think mary would've struggled to make the 8 if he was the coach.

dannyt

Coach
The Club has been in disarray since Bennett
left which is 5 years ago. The Board has a lot to answer for! At least this year we had the joy to watch the lower grades play great football. The Board needs to pull its finger out and make sure the Club performs every
year not just 1 in 6 years. As other members have said why didn't they sign Bennett for 5 years? Why let Brett Morris go a year early when he was our best attacking player so that they could keep Thompson who is inconsistent and rarely scores tries? Morris would score 16 tries a year through sheer brilliance. Why did they resign Rein when they knew that he was erratic and that even Fien was better? Why haven't they had a decent half-back since Hornby? Why did they buy such hopeless players to replace representative players? The list goes on and on.They buy crap and still can not manage the salary cap. I am off to see my shrink Ron Casey!
The rot started with Bennett recommending Price take-over as FG coach.

Clever move. Recommend someone you know is useless and you have one less team to worry about in your new coaching gig the following year.

Notice how poor teams are after Bennett leaves? Donkeys to a certain a degree, us for sure and the knights were his crowning glory.

mickeylane

Bench
If rumors are correct the Warriors next coach will be Stephen Kearny meaning theres only one feasible coaching job left and thats the Dragons..

Cleary has to accept our coaching position by default!! surely Millward will give Cleary what he wants which is full control of the football club ala Phil Gould at the Roostersl!

hazzbeen

Bench
The rot started with Bennett recommending Price take-over as FG coach.

Clever move. Recommend someone you know is useless and you have one less team to worry about in your new coaching gig the following year.

Notice how poor teams are after Bennett leaves? Donkeys to a certain a degree, us for sure and the knights were his crowning glory.
Danny I was thinking exactly the same as you what a mess we have been since 2010 , all it did was buy Doust and the board another 6 years , no planning at all was done after our win ....

rainman44

Bench
Correct..
Bennett actually told scott to go back and give the dragons final option in signing him before accepting the Knights offer, but the dragons didn't think Scott was worth the money, So he signed with the Knights.
Yet somehow for some people this translates to "Bennett stole our players..." Go figure...
Bennett said that because he knew what we were paying Hornby
If rumors are correct the Warriors next coach will be Stephen Kearny meaning theres only one feasible coaching job left and thats the Dragons..

Cleary has to accept our coaching position by default!! surely Millward will give Cleary what he wants which is full control of the football club ala Phil Gould at the Roostersl!
I think the dogs could be sniffing after today. So i just hope the dragons have already done the deal.

Sigurd

Juniors

It would be strange for Cleary not to want to choose his own staff but also if he were to get rid of Head. He has done a fantastic job with the U20s.

Bench
I hope it's doesn't come to one step forward two steps back if we don't get cleary

dannyt

Coach
Danny I was thinking exactly the same as you what a mess we have been since 2010 , all it did was buy Doust and the board another 6 years , no planning at all was done after our win ....
We never capitalised on those glory years. Still paying the price. No pun intended

KiamaSaint

Coach
Just seen Ivan & family on 9 talking to Fittler. Heard his wife say WHEN Ivan starts coaching again. Interesting lets hope it's us & not the warriors
Yeah I saw that. The way she said it and how Ivan reacted kind of suggested it would be sooner rather than later.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Warrior's can have Kearney.
It will only mean we'll line up a better coach
E.g. Cleary. Even if we can't offload Mary for a year due to us being broke.

We have top juniors coming through and a genuine performing u20s coach in Head.

Cleary and Head would make a formidable long term team. We should invest in these 2 coaches and build around THEIR REQUESTS ONLY.

Latest posts