What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ivan Cleary's Warriors formula needs time article

Meth

Staff member
Can't be bothered reading the article, but I will say that I think that we potentially have a mix of players who could do something special.

Exciting finishers- check- Vatuvei, Fisiiahi, Locke, Inu
Prop's who can get us on the front foot- check- Packer, Rapira, Lillyman
Players adding sting in attack and defense- check- Matulino, Ta'ai
Solid workrate players- check- Luck, Taylor

The only real concern that I have is with our 6, 7 and 9

Meth

Staff member
What's so wrong with that article? Seems fairly straight forward and correct to me?

I'd say that these two nuffies are upset with the author because he is an apologist for Cleary. But that's just from reading the title

Micistm

Bench
Interesting feature, and there's some fair points in it IMO, we are- all fans of all clubs when you read the other Club forums on UNlimited- Quick to blame coaches for a poor run.
But, IMO it's also fair to say Ivan has had time. He's a long term coach at the club...and while I'm still on the fence as to whether he should stay or go, we haven't progressed much under him either. We still have the one step forward, one back, we still have the traditional go to sleep month where a bad slump hits. Ives has been learning as much as the players have though, he seems to have learnt loyalty to players that need dropping doesn't do him or the team any good.
I think he deserves time-This season. He's here, he's under contract...but this year IMO progress needs to start happening. He's been here long enough now, he's got some good depth now, some reasonable players, some good youngs ones to throw in if things go pear shaped...so this year we need to at the very least make the finals-But also show we deserve to be there. Making the eight then getting a hiding isn't good enough now.

Skinner

Coach
Interesting feature, and there's some fair points in it IMO, we are- all fans of all clubs when you read the other Club forums on UNlimited- Quick to blame coaches for a poor run.
But, IMO it's also fair to say Ivan has had time. He's a long term coach at the club...and while I'm still on the fence as to whether he should stay or go, we haven't progressed much under him either. We still have the one step forward, one back, we still have the traditional go to sleep month where a bad slump hits. Ives has been learning as much as the players have though, he seems to have learnt loyalty to players that need dropping doesn't do him or the team any good.
I think he deserves time-This season. He's here, he's under contract...but this year IMO progress needs to start happening. He's been here long enough now, he's got some good depth now, some reasonable players, some good youngs ones to throw in if things go pear shaped...so this year we need to at the very least make the finals-But also show we deserve to be there. Making the eight then getting a hiding isn't good enough now.

:clap::clap::clap:

devoid

Juniors
Didn't mind the article - can't see how anyone can get their knickers in a twist about it. I like Ivan, and I think he continues to do a great job coaching us. I hope we extend his contract beyond 2012.

Rich102

Staff member
Ivan's answer to everything is to improve the defence. Matulino & Lillyman are now props. Buy in more defenders. By the time he gets to the finals the crowd will be so bored they will go elsewhere.
Our future is in our junior strength - if they aren't defence machines they may as well sign for some other club.
The club, managed properly, has a great future. Cleary hasn't.

devoid

Juniors
Ivan's answer to everything is to improve the defence. Matulino & Lillyman are now props. Buy in more defenders. By the time he gets to the finals the crowd will be so bored they will go elsewhere.
Our future is in our junior strength - if they aren't defence machines they may as well sign for some other club.
The club, managed properly, has a great future. Cleary hasn't.

Were you bored when we beat the Storm last week?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
"You shouldn't judge a coach until the end of a season". How about six?

I don't particularly advocate sacking him before 2012 but I wouldn't be re-appointing without a premiership - or very least good signs and a GF.

Daniel Anderson, anyone? Seriously...

As for the article, pretty paint-by-numbers stuff. And Nathan Friend, Maroons rake? Not in any Origin I've watched...

Last edited:

devoid

Juniors
One game in how many ??

It's just a question Skinner. Did you seriously watch that game and say to yourself afterwards 'what a load of bs this team is - Cleary has to go.' A win built on defense is fine for me. I liked how we won 14 of 24 games last season too. Do you really see zero merit in what Cleary offers the club as head coach?

hitman82

Bench
It's just a question Skinner. Did you seriously watch that game and say to yourself afterwards 'what a load of bs this team is - Cleary has to go.' A win built on defense is fine for me. I liked how we won 14 of 24 games last season too. Do you really see zero merit in what Cleary offers the club as head coach?

Agreed.

I thought the saying was always defense comes first / defense wins premierships and so on.

Our "razzle-dazzle" team of '02 got hammered in our grand final with a team built on flashy attack...
By a clinical, disciplined, defensive Roosters outfit with a couple of x-factor players.
Last years' premiers weren't exactly what I'd call an exciting attack-oriented team either.

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
At the risk of repeating myself.
We have access to the largest pool of RL talent anywhere - the "Big Dude factory" to quote a couple of Australian commentators.
I just don't think we are doing the best with the talent available.
The Storm came into the competition and won a Grand Final after two years. We have come close once in 15 years - and that wasn't with Cleary.

Meth

Staff member

Skinner just takes his cues from Ozbash. After all, you can't have one ballbag rebelling against the other, can you?

Last edited:

TurtleWarrior

Juniors
Can't be bothered reading the article, but I will say that I think that we potentially have a mix of players who could do something special.

Exciting finishers- check- Vatuvei, Fisiiahi, Locke, Inu
Prop's who can get us on the front foot- check- Packer, Rapira, Lillyman
Players adding sting in attack and defense- check- Matulino, Ta'ai
Solid workrate players- check- Luck, Taylor

The only real concern that I have is with our 6, 7 and 9

Agreed except about Maloney (6). I've been very happy with Maloney since he's been at the club. He's passionate, has a good kicking game and speed. And I think him being paired up with an exiciting halfback would go a long way in creating a strong 'spine' with Friend being here next year and Locke/Fissiahi at the back.

Jesbass

First Grade
At the risk of repeating myself.
We have access to the largest pool of RL talent anywhere - the "Big Dude factory" to quote a couple of Australian commentators.
I just don't think we are doing the best with the talent available.
The Storm came into the competition and won a Grand Final after two years. We have come close once in 15 years - and that wasn't with Cleary.

To be fair, I'd say we also came close in 2003 and 2008 as well. "Haven't come close" seems a bit of a harsh criticism for those two particular seasons.