What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

twinkletoes

Juniors
Jack Bird is not ego driven, and maybe your criticisms should be focused more on who is running the club

He certainly is ego driven...he wants to dictate where he plays, how he plays, how the team plays etc etc. I would have thought a team that's coming 2nd and has an outstanding record this season is going pretty good. So whats that got a do with how the club is run. Bird's problem is all ego

george43

Juniors
Understand the need for structure but you also need to be able to play outside that structure at times especially when you have players with a high skill level such as Bird, not sure if fullback is his best position especially with Duufty having the year he is having but a ball playing lock role which would allow him to roam around the field would be better suited for Bird then just sitting on one edge of the field.

Bird receives more respect from the forwards who are in front of him the Dufty. When he says jump boy do they jump which is what happened against Brisbane. He organised their defensive structure perfectly. Dufty is a completely different type fullback.

BennyV

Referee
Thats the problem they are not utilizing the players skills, it is all about the structure. Trust me Jack Bird is a fullback and a really good one.

I'm sure you will forgive me for no trusting you based on a single game he has played at fullback...

If they are underutilizing Jack then it is a case of a single player being underutilised. But where else to play him? He claims his best position is 5/8 (this was in a convo he was having with another 20s player last year about his best position - definitely not ego driven :sarcasm:) but so far weve had more natural state reps playing at 5/8 in Hutcho and Crook...fullback? Well Dufty is not going to move over and rightly so. Lock? Maybe, Hele is also having a great year but there is an.argument there.

OR...crazy idea...he plays in the position he represented NSW U18s in, the position hes been playing very well while his team has been working to 2nd on the ladder, the position he could build a career around in the way that the likes of SBW, Ryan Hoffman, Greg Bird have...y'know, where thise mean, nasty coaches have been playing him...working well so far..

BennyV

Referee
Understand the need for structure but you also need to be able to play outside that structure at times especially when you have players with a high skill level such as Bird, not sure if fullback is his best position especially with Duufty having the year he is having but a ball playing lock role which would allow him to roam around the field would be better suited for Bird then just sitting on one edge of the field.

The players do have creative license, to claim otherwise is madness. Have you not watched Dufty play? Or even Crook/Clune/Aitken?

Theres nothing wrong with sitting on an edge and picking your moments, it can actually show a lot more as a footballer than trying to be everywhere and do everything a la Gallen in origin.

mighty v

Juniors
From whht i've seen this year Young and Hornby have had their lock running as an extra front row forward

Hey George,

Listen mate ,most would love to see jack bird stay at the dragons ,and whether your related to Jack,or just a big fan ,really dosent matter BUT ..

From your posts,you seem to be insinuating that Jack has a issue with Young and Hornby ,and it seems you do aswell

With all due respect mate ,its not up to players or fans to tell the coaches whether to play with or without structure,which position is best for a player ,etc etc

Think Young and Hornby ,have done a fantastic job this year ,from the interviews ive seen from the dressing rooms "most "players dont seem unhappy ,but even if they were ,we are 1 win from a minor premiership mate ,so they must be doing something right

Sometimes ,young players dont handle authority to well ,BUT its that authority that gets teams to 2nd place and a possible minor premiership,the kids just cant see past that,and THE FACT that it makes them strive and become better players

george43

Juniors
He certainly is ego driven...he wants to dictate where he plays, how he plays, how the team plays etc etc. I would have thought a team that's coming 2nd and has an outstanding record this season is going pretty good. So whats that got a do with how the club is run. Bird's problem is all ego

He has played in six different positions this year to the best of his ability and only once in the position which best suits him. this suggests to me to be a very ordinary approach by the coaching staff on player development.

mighty v

Juniors
PS : Jack's form is due to his HARDWORK,and natural ability ,but if you ask me YOUNG AND HORNBY has also contributed in a big way to him progressing the way he has

HOPE HE SEES THAT

saintm

Juniors
Bird receives more respect from the forwards who are in front of him the Dufty. When he says jump boy do they jump which is what happened against Brisbane. He organised their defensive structure perfectly. Dufty is a completely different type fullback.

George, once again your entitled to your opinion. I agree that Jack Bird sees alot of ball each and every game. Dufty on the other hand backs up constantly and does not always get the balls he should if he did he would be on a lot more tries than 19 (leading try scorer for St George). You seem to have a very big agenda for Jack Bird to play fullback after one game - if thats what he has been offered at Cronulla then maybe thats where he should go. Also your comment on they need him at fullback to win the GF is a huge call - I thought the whole team needed to contribute to win a GF not just one player.

george43

Juniors
George, once again your entitled to your opinion. I agree that Jack Bird sees alot of ball each and every game. Dufty on the other hand backs up constantly and does not always get the balls he should if he did he would be on a lot more tries than 19 (leading try scorer for St George). You seem to have a very big agenda for Jack Bird to play fullback after one game - if thats what he has been offered at Cronulla then maybe thats where he should go. Also your comment on they need him at fullback to win the GF is a huge call - I thought the whole team needed to contribute to win a GF not just one player.

The topic is Jack Bird. There is no agenda. In relation to him seeing a lot of ball that isn;t right. I have watched nearly all 20's games this year , and depending on his position on the day, he has received little ball, i can remember one game where he only had the ball in hand 4 times. The reason i believe he should be fullback in the upcoming final series,as i have already mentioned, is the respect he receives from the forwards playing in front of him. They do what he says and his exceptional ability to read the game is without question. They have full confidence in him.

BennyV

Referee
The topic is Jack Bird. There is no agenda. In relation to him seeing a lot of ball that isn;t right. I have watched nearly all 20's games this year , and depending on his position on the day, he has received little ball, i can remember one game where he only had the ball in hand 4 times. The reason i believe he should be fullback in the upcoming final series,as i have already mentioned, is the respect he receives from the forwards playing in front of him. They do what he says and his exceptional ability to read the game is without question. They have full confidence in him.

Your ability to read the minds of 18-20 year old forwards is amazing...

Duck63

Juniors

George43 The only place you belong is on a "DOOR"

saintm

Juniors

George, I have also watched 90% of the U20s game .... Just wondering are you saying that they don't respect Dufty? You seem to speak on behalf of a lot of people. Any one can jump on these forums and say what ever they like. Personally, I don't agree with your statements you seem to be a critic of Dufty, Hornby & Young who else? When I go to watch the dragons U20s as a red V member I support the whole team not just one player.... Ps my kids love Dufty as a player

george43

Juniors
George, I have also watched 90% of the U20s game .... Just wondering are you saying that they don't respect Dufty? You seem to speak on behalf of a lot of people. Any one can jump on these forums and say what ever they like. Personally, I don't agree with your statements you seem to be a critic of Dufty, Hornby & Young who else? When I go to watch the dragons U20s as a red V member I support the whole team not just one player.... Ps my kids love Dufty as a player

I have stated previously that i have i no problem with Dufty, only that he plays from fullback in a different manner to Bird. I know from reports that the boys as a team all get on very well. But the the thread is Jack Bird and my view seems to differ from many of the posts. That doesn't mean i'm right or wrong. It's just an opinion. As far as Hornby and Young are concerned i am not impressed with their coaching, it is far too structured leading to predictable and boring football. you would have to agree with these comments. As far as player development is concerned it is non existent. Another opinion.

TheRev

Coach
Bird sound like a prima donna just like Hastings and would be better off letting him go. Either you want to play for the Dragons or you don't,,I wish he would just make the decision and get on with it. I'm sick of pandering to the egos of young players
In theory sure, but I'm afraid it's this sort of approach that has us losing young players, look I'm in my late 30's, and don't pretend to understand teenagers anymore, but the gen y or z or whatever they are different to the old days, you need to manage them as such, some have level heads, some need their ego's managed more gently as they become professionals, but you cant just let guns go because they don't fit our oldschool approach to football.

I'm sure the roosters don't take our approach.

mighty v

Juniors
I have stated previously that i have i no problem with Dufty, only that he plays from fullback in a different manner to Bird. I know from reports that the boys as a team all get on very well. But the the thread is Jack Bird and my view seems to differ from many of the posts. That doesn't mean i'm right or wrong. It's just an opinion. As far as Hornby and Young are concerned i am not impressed with their coaching, it is far too structured leading to predictable and boring football. you would have to agree with these comments. As far as player development is concerned it is non existent. Another opinion.

The team is 5th of most points scored (cant be that boring),and we beat the 4th placed team in the broncos 58-18(and pls don't say it was all due to jack bird)
1st when it comes to points conceded ie best defense in the league (by a country mile mind you)

And as to player development well

Euan Aitken,Drew Hutchison,Jack Bird in NSW state of origin side

ADD duffy,clune,lolo,mcrae etc

ALL have progressed in leaps and bounds mate

Your points are fruitless imo mate

The coaches know there stuff mate ,no matter how much you wanna bash them

hermidale1

Juniors
I have to add, there are 3 of the youngest players who just made the Australian schoolboys and they also were in the 18's Origin. Coincidently they were coached last year in the St. George SG Ball side by Ben Hornby. I have no doubt if you ask those players , and the players in the 20's , what their opinion was of both Ben and Dean, no doubt it would be full of praise. Also ask them if they feel they are being developed.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I don't think his playing future will be announced until after the under 20's have finished their commitments for this season.

CronullaSaint

Juniors
If he is staying it will be announced as soon as terms have been agreed to. An announcement at the end of the season would indicate he will be leaving.

bottle

Coach
The team is 5th of most points scored (cant be that boring),and we beat the 4th placed team in the broncos 58-18(and pls don't say it was all due to jack bird)
1st when it comes to points conceded ie best defense in the league (by a country mile mind you)

Sounds Bennettesque to me. Hornbag and Deano might be applying St. Wayne's techniques.
Nothing wrong with boring anyway as long as you are winning. Apparently we were 'boring' during Bennett's tenure. I say bring back boring and choking teams out of the contest.

Latest posts