What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

denis preston

First Grade
550k a year, is that overs in comparison to what we can get for that? Didn't we get Sua , Molo & Suli for around that amount ? In fairness to Jack the lack of precision, intensity & general basics that the side is showing is not his fault but those players mentioned are rising above it.

thebigredv

First Grade
Bird is a quality footballer who is fairly consistent and has a physical and competitive approach to footy. Rather have him on our side than against us - can only say that about a handful of our squad right now.

Not sure of the $ value. I'm hoping it isn't much over 500k a year when you consider our current record and what some of the more potent players in the comp are getting elsewhere e.g. Hynes about 600k approx.

justadragon

Bench
As long as we dont fantasise over Bird making it as a 5/8, not even as a center, he's a 2nd row or lock, thats it, forget about everything else. The game has changed so much since he was a 5/8 at the sharks its not funny, and has gone well and truly past him. Happy that he is staying but in his proper position.

Carlton

Juniors
$550K a season for Bird is ridiculous, I dont understand the hype surrounding him. He makes too many poor decisions, he is not a dominating forward, he is not a defensively sound centre, he is not a creative half. In the Melbourne game for example he gave away a six again 5 metres out on the 5th tackle when our defensive line were set. The Storm scored after this, he also decided to run down a blind side that was well defended on the last, loses the ball and again a Storm try.

I was a supporter of Hook not as a coach but as a Roster Manager fixer, The short term deals for Woods, Burgess, Moga etc were fine if we were marking time while we signed our real targets. It was rumoured we tried to sign Kikau, why would you sign Bird as a secondrower for $550K when you could have Kikau for $800K or better why didnt we try for Luki or Nanai, they would probably have been less than $550K.

There are holes in our roster which need fixing and we should have had money available after moving on players and signing others at unders. Hook will lose me not because of the coaching but because of the roster if the rejuvenation stagnates. Resigning Bird is a backward step.

Reddragon

Bench
Bird is pretty solid with a lot of effort. Nothing more at present.
Denis Preston: 'In fairness to Jack the lack of precision, intensity & general basics that the side is showing is not his fault but those players mentioned are rising above it."
Bird's run down the blind side and losing the ball resulting in the Storm going 12-nil up was a complete momentum killer. The game was lost there. It was not on, it was badly thought out, no one knew it was on, just Bird's arrogance & intensity without a plan.
Agree Sua , Molo & Suli are rising above the "lack of precision & general basics", but Bird contributes to this a lot.

Dragsters

First Grade
With the salary cap set to increase over the next 4 seasons I think this deal represents good value.

Bird is an effort player who competes when others may give up.

He's versatile, can turn a game, he has big game experience and can be a match winner.

I am glad we have secured his services long term.

He clearly wants to be here and he makes the team stronger.

Good signing imo...

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
As long as we dont fantasise over Bird making it as a 5/8, not even as a center, he's a 2nd row or lock, thats it, forget about everything else. The game has changed so much since he was a 5/8 at the sharks its not funny, and has gone well and truly past him. Happy that he is staying but in his proper position.

What skillset does he have that makes you think he's a 2nd row/Lock ? He's defensively suspect at centre and his last game should ring a hundred bells about his abilities playing in the pack -10 missed tackles and 4 ineffective, ran for 35 metres and got the ball just 12 times. No tries, try assists, line break assists, (actually no assists all year) nothing useful at all. Whereas playing at centre last year he was dangerous and also setting up tries and line breaks. Because we now have Suli Hook has been trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole and it's weakened the team considerably, he's turned a really good centre into a liability, a target for a smart attack. Bellamy watched our first half and rubbed his hands together.
We have a great ball playing lock in JDB and plenty of good defenders to play 2nd row why make it easy for the opposition by putting Bird closer in against bigger guys all game, you've seen the results.

justadragon

Bench
What skillset does he have that makes you think he's a 2nd row/Lock ? He's defensively suspect at centre and his last game should ring a hundred bells about his abilities playing in the pack -10 missed tackles and 4 ineffective, ran for 35 metres and got the ball just 12 times. No tries, try assists, line break assists, (actually no assists all year) nothing useful at all. Whereas playing at centre last year he was dangerous and also setting up tries and line breaks. Because we now have Suli Hook has been trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole and it's weakened the team considerably, he's turned a really good centre into a liability, a target for a smart attack. Bellamy watched our first half and rubbed his hands together.
We have a great ball playing lock in JDB and plenty of good defenders to play 2nd row why make it easy for the opposition by putting Bird closer in against bigger guys all game, you've seen the results.
Understand what you are saying, but he has no pace to be an outside back, he has been showed up badly for speed at center and his time at fullback was a disaster, I think the whole pack was very poor on saturday and got dominated fairly easily. Just my opinion his better games have been when he is in the back row, certainly not at 5/8.

possm

Coach
Now that Bird has signed for 3 years, a decision on his most suitable position should be made. Currently, in the halves, we have Bird, Hunt, Amone, and Sullivan. For me, we must find a way to include our young stars in the 17 and so, once our youngsters are first-grad-ready, I'd like to see:
1. Sloan
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
9. Hunt
11. Bird

If Lomax's hand is badly injured, then Bird should move to right-center.

justadragon

Bench
Now that Bird has signed for 3 years, a decision on his most suitable position should be made. Currently, in the halves, we have Bird, Hunt, Amone, and Sullivan. For me, we must find a way to include our young stars in the 17 and so, once our youngsters are first-grad-ready, I'd like to see:
1. Sloan
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
9. Hunt
11. Bird

If Lomax's hand is badly injured, then Bird should move to right-center.
I agree with you totally, except for Bird going to center, we have Moga who in my opinion would be far better in that position.

to_ddeath

Coach
Disappointed he’s extended…not sold on him lately at all, glad it wasn’t an extra year. Need to sign more players with footy smarts, IMO he lacks plenty of that

Dragon David

First Grade
Disappointed he’s extended…not sold on him lately at all, glad it wasn’t an extra year. Need to sign more players with footy smarts, IMO he lacks plenty of that
I'm thinking the same as you to_ddeath. He has a lot of heart there is no doubt about that but he is heart attack material as far as I am concerned. His 2 year extension with a mutual 1 year option agreement might co-incide with the return of Flanagan as the coach and under him, Bird has done really well. Have to wait and see.

rasaint

Juniors
If it’s $550 K it’s overs; plain and simple.

Based on a stellar year in 2016 he got a fabulous pay day and good luck to him. 2022 Jack is a tough but pedestrian NRL player who is now too slow to be effective in the backs.

Who were these other teams bidding for his services at $550k? wasn’t it zip? At $$350k I could live with. Melbourne would never pay that much for a slow poke regardless of his undoubted courage and toughness.

Its so disappointing to have a backline of slow pokes.