What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Debelin could be back in 17 as early as next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

getsmarty

Immortal
EXCLUSIVE: Rich offers for accused Jack de Belin 'very premature', Phil Gould says
https%3A%2F%2Fimageresizer.static9.net.au%2F-k3QJHMfpJvFIBsY9unEeyeBFk8%3D%2F75x75%2Fsmart%2Fhttps%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fe13ea063-2e67-448b-9d47-fdb3ceb958f5
By Tim Elbra
6 hours ago
Clubs should await the outcome in Jack de Belin's court case before throwing big money at the sidelined Dragons forward, Phil Gould says.

A report over the weekend revealed that de Belin was set for a huge pay rise should he avoid conviction over sexual assault charges, with offers of $800,000 per season from rival clubs touted.

De Belin's current $595,000 per season deal ends this year and the Warriors are reportedly willing to offer top dollar for the 2018 NSW Origin forward. St George Illawarra reportedly offered about $700,000 per season.

Gould, Penrith's general manager until last season, told Wide World of Sports that it was premature to be discussing a new contract for de Belin. The 29-year-old hasn't played since 2018 and will face trial later this year, having pleaded not guilty.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fa7909446-9e2e-4367-855d-5a17d95dccf8

Dragons forward Jack de Belin. (Getty)
"I don't know, and I have not been briefed at all as to where his court case is, so far as confidence in the final result and what may come from there," Gould said on The Final Whistle.

"Then I've got no idea what the reaction of the league might be, given that verdict when he comes out of that court case, positive or negative.

"I think it's very, very premature for clubs to be talking about, 'We'll make an offer to this player'. A, he may not be available.

"I think football-wise, he'd probably take half a season to get back to where he was, even though he's been training with the Dragons all the way through it. So I think it's a bit of a gamble.

"We've just got to wait and see what happens with the court case at the end of the year. Certainly if I was in charge of a club, I wouldn't be going down this road until I knew the result of that court case."

The Dragons are bracing for the loss of Test forward Tyson Frizell to Newcastle next season, depleting a roster that is already struggling to compete in the NRL.

De Belin was one of the NRL's most damaging middle forwards before being stood down before last season over the sexual assault charges, relating to an incident involving a woman in Wollongong during 2018.

He was prevented from playing by the NRL's then-new no fault stand-down policy.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/dragon...il-gould/57a4239c-cfd3-4b6f-8599-79479f135c1c

TruSaint

Referee
They are wasting their time, but I guess it’s worth a shot. It’s not as though they are doing anything else anyway.

What it does Forbes, is put the spotlight on the matter again. Not that it needs anymore to be fair. I get your point, but it's a desperate measure, when this could have been challenged and wasn't by JDB's legal team. They pulled back on the challenge at the 11th hour.

TruSaint

Referee
What the f**k is the club thinking?

I can’t see any outcome where the NRL lets him play. We are just stirring up an emotional situation for nothing.

The media loves it.
Keeps us in the spotlight again. When we should just let the matter go through the legal procedures. It's embarrassing.

Gareth67

First Grade
The media loves it.
Keeps us in the spotlight again. When we should just let the matter go through the legal procedures. It's embarrassing.

Just that - embarrassing , extremely so . As every Tom , Dick and Harry ( and even blind Freddy ) knows the NRL will not move on it’s stance . More so when the court had previously ruled that the ‘ stand - down ‘ rule was perfectly just .

Whomever it was of the Dragons hierarchy who decided to test the waters yet again , needs to have a break from the daily activities at the J.V. and concentrate a bit more on his crosswords puzzles. At least the silly sod would stand a better chance of being successful in that particular venture .

Last edited:

George Dragon

Juniors
What it does Forbes, is put the spotlight on the matter again. Not that it needs anymore to be fair. I get your point, but it's a desperate measure, when this could have been challenged and wasn't by JDB's legal team. They pulled back on the challenge at the 11th hour.
JDB team dropped the challenge on the agreement that the NRL would not make them pay their legal fees.
Cant see NRL changing their mind. Plus it was Abdo who was in court in favour of the stand down.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
Just trying to remember the logic behind paying Jack in Full all the way through ?

If found guilty Jack has to pay us back in full.........

If found not guilty Jack has received the $595K pa all the way through the period of not playing less maybe the games not played ? ie most contracts tend to have a base with match payments

2019 we took on a forward to replace JDB half way through the year

2020 we havent as yet

so we paid for a player $595k less maybe match payments not played........

What happens next ?

Reports on mmm this afternoon, Saturday league ...He’s in talks with the f**king Warriors.

It all depends on his case etc but the mere mention of another club is alarming and he needs to be held to account.

He should do a press conference now about it and pledge his loyalty.

Someone needs to shirtfront him.

blue bags

First Grade
Reports on mmm this afternoon, Saturday league ...He’s in talks with the f**king Warriors.

It all depends on his case etc but the mere mention of another club is alarming and he needs to be held to account.

other clubs aswell, some noise going on for weeks now , sniffing around

Gareth67

First Grade

Agree , if indeed the rumors are correct. The Joint Venture and not to forget his Dragon teammates , have stood by him . And to put it quite simply , he owes them - big time .

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Agree , if indeed the rumors are correct. The Joint Venture and not to forget his Dragon teammates , have stood by him . And to put it quite simply , he owes them - big time .
Can't say I agree with you on this one Gareth.

Whether he is playing or not playing JDB is entitled to negotiate his future as he sees fit and when he sees fit.

The angst some fans are feeling is all created by the club
who decided by its own volition the course of action it has taken since this issue first arose.

We were less than forthright and poor professionally in all our dealings with the NRL and we lived in fairy land thinking this would all be over quickly.

We had options and as usual it is obvious as a club we chose the options with the poorest outcomes for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.