What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jackson Hastings

I'm Sorry, Missed Jackson

• Total voters

Gazzaw

Juniors
Dad is in the USA these days I believe, so with a bit of luck the Easts connection may not be that strong. But the Politis money tree seems never ending.
Hope the kid & his advisors really look after his best interest wherever that may be

Good luck to him, seems to be something special

BennyV

Referee
Based on what I've seen of them so far - Crooks got a great kicking game, passes very well both in traffic and before the line, and organises that team well (I've heard a few of the 20s games been described as the Shannon Crook Show). By all reports his attitude at training is above what Hastings is (I've heard young Jackson is a bit full of himself - probably rightly so). He's a fairly complete halfback - whether or not that carries into first grade in a few years depends on continuing hard work, like all halfbacks. But yes, he is injured at the moment, tore his ACL.

Watatank, the age doesn't really make too much difference, it all comes down to how hard they put in over the next 3-5 years. I'm not at all saying that Hastings isn't a good player, cause clearly he could be great, but for mine Crook is a better prospect.

Father Ted

First Grade
Based on what I've seen of them so far - Crooks got a great kicking game, passes very well both in traffic and before the line, and organises that team well (I've heard a few of the 20s games been described as the Shannon Crook Show). By all reports his attitude at training is above what Hastings is (I've heard young Jackson is a bit full of himself - probably rightly so). He's a fairly complete halfback - whether or not that carries into first grade in a few years depends on continuing hard work, like all halfbacks. But yes, he is injured at the moment, tore his ACL.

Watatank, the age doesn't really make too much difference, it all comes down to how hard they put in over the next 3-5 years. I'm not at all saying that Hastings isn't a good player, cause clearly he could be great, but for mine Crook is a better prospect.

I think there's no chance that the tigers would be so stupid they'd let there one great future hope leave and if they did I'm positive someone else would get him. Battle on the other hand is in our colours already and I think with Reynolds , Crook and one of the Raiders young halves ( either Cornish or Milford) will be one of the best three or four halves around . At a time when Good young halfbacks are gold and when we have struggled for so long with the halfback position why I ask have we farted around for so long?

watatank

Coach
Crook can play, I never said otherwise...but how does age not make a difference? 17 is not 19.

Hastings is not even a fullback, at least not primarily. He is better known as a halfback or hooker and yet he's playing fullback in the U20s comp at age 17. He has a number of clubs after him including the Roosters who are known spenders. That's a pretty big indicator that he's a quality talent. A quality player that can play 1,6,7,9? How many of these prospects are there? And being a local he should be locked up already.

ghostface

Juniors
Crook is better

Different styled players both are good prospects and it's unfair to compare the two of them although Jackson's versatility shouldn't be understated. Illawarra are in a fortunate position as we have a number of good prospects that are being nurtured through the system, Drew Hutchinson is another prospect who looks good.

BennyV

Referee
Crook can play, I never said otherwise...but how does age not make a difference? 17 is not 19.

Hastings is not even a fullback, at least not primarily. He is better known as a halfback or hooker and yet he's playing fullback in the U20s comp at age 17. He has a number of clubs after him including the Roosters who are known spenders. That's a pretty big indicator that he's a quality talent. A quality player that can play 1,6,7,9? How many of these prospects are there? And being a local he should be locked up already.

I say age isnt a factor because they are both juniors, and the next 3-5 years is equally critical to both of them in terms of their own attitudes and path to first grade. It takes a lot of hard work and there are plenty of incredible young halves/players who dont end up making the cut at all in first grade. In the future when/if these 2 are battling out for a NSW jersey, there wont be too much concern over their age...

No doubt we should have Hastings locked up as he's a good future prospect. In my opinion, Crook is a better player, that's all.

Gazzaw

Juniors
With young men 17 v 19 is massive in size, strength, speed.... gee everything football. Young men mature much later. Get young Hastings signed now, otherwise it will be to late.
If Crook has done an ACL, then chances of full recup & being good for 10 years is remote

Father Ted

First Grade
Different styled players both are good prospects and it's unfair to compare the two of them although Jackson's versatility shouldn't be understated. Illawarra are in a fortunate position as we have a number of good prospects that are being nurtured through the system, Drew Hutchinson is another prospect who looks good.

Drew is isn't he . I wonder if we have him signed or is he another future sh$t fight?

Gazzaw

Juniors
You guys are talking abt players for 3,4,5 yrs down the track. How long do you think these young kids are going to sign for. We need 2014 & 2015

Father Ted

First Grade
One other observation . Wayne Bennett seems to be paying way to much attention to our juniors these days for my liking. Back off creepin

Father Ted

First Grade
You guys are talking abt players for 3,4,5 yrs down the track. How long do you think these young kids are going to sign for. We need 2014 & 2015

If we had planned for 14 and 15 in 10 and 11 like we should have we would'nt be having this conversation.:D

Gazzaw

Juniors
]If we had planned for 14 and 15 in 10 and 11 like we should have we would'nt be having this conversation.:D

Dad, this doesn't make sense, if we signed these guys in 10/11 they would have been 15 & 16 yo. We did plan, but Doust didn't plan well enough, At any rate who knew Morris was getting injured & Beale for the season, what we did know was that Coops isn't upto a full season. But the kids are not ready.
What we have, when we get them all on the paddock is now pretty good.
Look fwd to a good season from here on

ghostface

Juniors
its hard to compete with paper bags.

Considering Peter O'Sullivan's previous role as a chef at Storm HQ you would think that his signature dish "cooking books" would have come under more scrutiny from the NRL brains trust.

In my eyes it's completely unjust that a known cap cheat is allowed to function in any capacity within the NRL. If he and the Roosters are successful in poaching one of our juniors the taste left in most Dragons supporters mouths will be unpalatable.

Father Ted

First Grade
]If we had planned for 14 and 15 in 10 and 11 like we should have we would'nt be having this conversation.:D

Dad, this doesn't make sense, if we signed these guys in 10/11 they would have been 15 & 16 yo. We did plan, but Doust didn't plan well enough, At any rate who knew Morris was getting injured & Beale for the season, what we did know was that Coops isn't upto a full season. But the kids are not ready.
What we have, when we get them all on the paddock is now pretty good.
Look fwd to a good season from here on

Halfback is a problem for us now and into the future .I still don't see a real halfback option signed for next year ? It's easier I think to re sign a player you have in you're club then to take him from another imo and you said it right "but Doust didn't plan well enough".

possm

Coach
I am sure Doust is trying to sign both Hastings and Crook to long term deals. They should be able to form a 6 7 combination in the NYC and then in the Cutters in about 2 to 3 years time.

As for 2013 - 2015, if it is not Chase and Widdop I'd like to see Quinlan and Widdop or Kyle and Widdop. I don't think Drinkwater or Ryan are gong to get there.

Latest posts