What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jai Field

BLM01

First Grade
Field is a half and needs to be played as a half !!!! If anywhere else then at fullback !!!
There has been over the years many brilliant halfs with defensive problems the trick is to give them defensive cover and protection, surely thats not too hard to execute !!
It is getting harder in 1st grade to do that. Look at poor Moloney and Thurston when he was battling injury. Even our Bennie Hunt became a target

nontime111

Juniors
Field is a half and needs to be played as a half !!!! If anywhere else then at fullback !!!
There has been over the years many brilliant halfs with defensive problems the trick is to give them defensive cover and protection, surely thats not too hard to execute !!
dont get your red and white knickers in too much of a twist...this was ages ago Id never want him at wing now, either back up half or supersub I see him as a gun this way

getsmarty

Immortal
Shellharbour's Jai Field set to slide into St George Illawarra starting lineup
Dragons Den
r0_135_3365_2027_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Call-up: Jai Field. Picture: NRL Imagery/Gregg Porteous.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has put his faith in Jai Field to fill the void left by injured five-eighth Corey Norman.

With Norman set for a long stint on the sidelines after undergoing surgery for a fractured cheekbone on Tuesday, Field has the chance to lock down the Dragons No.6 jersey for weeks to come.

St George Illawarra will be hoping Field fires in Saturday night's match against the Warriors, with the Dragons looking to rebound after dropping their last two matches.

A Shellharbour product, Field has played five games in the top-flight since making his debut in 2017.

The 21-year-old has bided his time in the Dragons NSW Cup side, playing in the halves throughout the first eight weeks of the season.

In positive news for the Dragons, Field's inclusion is the only change to the 17, with Tyson Frizell named in the starting side, having overcome a poke to the eye suffered in Sunday afternoon's loss to the Eels.

St George Illawarra face a tough challenge on Saturday, with the Warriors naming former Broncos five-eighth Kodi Nikorima to make his debut for his new club at Suncorp Stadium.

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney has made one other notable change, with hooker Isaac Luke moved to the reserves. Nathaniel Roache has been named in the starting role, with Karl Lawton coming on to the bench. The Warriors will also be without suspended forward Adam Blair.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-five-eighth-to-replace-corey-norman/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
Shellharbour's Jai Field set to slide into St George Illawarra starting lineup
Dragons Den
r0_135_3365_2027_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Call-up: Jai Field. Picture: NRL Imagery/Gregg Porteous.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has put his faith in Jai Field to fill the void left by injured five-eighth Corey Norman.

With Norman set for a long stint on the sidelines after undergoing surgery for a fractured cheekbone on Tuesday, Field has the chance to lock down the Dragons No.6 jersey for weeks to come.

St George Illawarra will be hoping Field fires in Saturday night's match against the Warriors, with the Dragons looking to rebound after dropping their last two matches.

A Shellharbour product, Field has played five games in the top-flight since making his debut in 2017.

The 21-year-old has bided his time in the Dragons NSW Cup side, playing in the halves throughout the first eight weeks of the season.

In positive news for the Dragons, Field's inclusion is the only change to the 17, with Tyson Frizell named in the starting side, having overcome a poke to the eye suffered in Sunday afternoon's loss to the Eels.

St George Illawarra face a tough challenge on Saturday, with the Warriors naming former Broncos five-eighth Kodi Nikorima to make his debut for his new club at Suncorp Stadium.

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney has made one other notable change, with hooker Isaac Luke moved to the reserves. Nathaniel Roache has been named in the starting role, with Karl Lawton coming on to the bench. The Warriors will also be without suspended forward Adam Blair.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-five-eighth-to-replace-corey-norman/?cs=3713
I'm confident Field will do well this game and in the next few games until Norman returns. His NRL future will be on the line and this is his chance to showcase his skills not just to SGI but to all NRL and ESL clubs who may need a dynamic five-eighth.

j0nesy

Bench
I watched this kid a bit in the juniors and reserves. I must admit I thought he’d make it sooner but hasn’t kicked on as much as I thought he would, he’s still only 21 though. He was a similar size to Dufty but has grown and filled out more than Dufty, but still on the small side. He’s quick and has some ball playing skills but perhaps not as agile as he was, he can kick goals. He’s inconsistent, his kicking game is a work in progress and his defence is suspect but no worse than Nicholls. I hope Mary persists with him while Norman is out because, while he’s inconsistent, he can win you a game. Longer term He’s a much better bench option than Aitken. He may also put some pressure on Dufty for the fullback position.

getsmarty

Immortal
I'm confident Field will do well this game and in the next few games until Norman returns. His NRL future will be on the line and this is his chance to showcase his skills not just to SGI but to all NRL and ESL clubs who may need a dynamic five-eighth.

I hope your right. For sure the Warriors will run some big Boppers at him...hopefully his defense holds up...

Dragons 09

Juniors
We should repay them in spades by running at Nikorima.

Is there also a chance L plate could move Lomax to 5/8 with Aitken into the starting side & Field back to the bench because of this.

Anything is possible with Mary unfortunately. He is super conservative with his blooding of young players and sometimes over compensates in trying to get the balance of youth and experience right, Latimore is a classic example of this. With Lawrie, Luc and Host all being asked to play longer minutes this year, i have no doubt that this has kept Latimore's position secure and why we are not seeing the likes of Robson, Kerr etc.

He may surprise me and still leave Aitken on the bench, but with Rav, Jordan, Lomax, Dufty and now Field all being in contention and all still learning the game, it would not be a surprise at all for one of them to start from the bench and Aitken (balance of "experience") starting at centre. If he goes this way, we may even see Lomax starting from the bench with Field starting at 6 and kicking goals.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I hope Field is given time to adjust . Not dropped after one game ... If it wasn't an injury to Widdop , Field would not have been seen in top grade this year ..... So I hope the young bloke has a blinder , and if not given time ....

Looks like (hopefully) he has 3 or 4 games to show his worth.

The more pressing issue could be if he does have very good games, does his thing and more, what happens when Norman returns? It would be naive to think Norman wouldn't return straight to 5/8, but where does Field fit in?

To me it would come down to a choice (given McGregors bench makeup) between Field and Aitken.

X factor or Y factor?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Field has a cracking few games I guarantee the Dogs or some other side will be chasing him. The Dogs already had a few attempts to try and get him.

I am hoping Saints can hold on to him but then again how they perform in the juniors is different to NRL. Remember Drew Hutchison? He has the best CV in juniors yet did not look anything special in the few games he played at Saints. Poor guy had bad injuries after that. Anyone know where he is at now?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If Field has a cracking few games I guarantee the Dogs or some other side will be chasing him. The Dogs already had a few attempts to try and get him.

I am hoping Saints can hold on to him but then again how they perform in the juniors is different to NRL. Remember Drew Hutchison? He has the best CV in juniors yet did not look anything special in the few games he played at Saints. Poor guy had bad injuries after that. Anyone know where he is at now?

Drew Is playing his first season with The Bears in CC after a stint in the UK. He's currently not signed to any 1st grade squad.

getsmarty

Immortal
fieldj-1gp_4571.jpg

DRAGONS

'He's probably quicker over 100m': Dufty excited to reunite with Field
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 8 May 2019, 06:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra speedster Matt Dufty has revealed that rookie five-eighth Jai Field would probably beat him in a 100 sprint.

Field's call-up to replace injured playmaker Corey Norman has added even more speed to a Dragons side that has scored two of the tries of the season so far in the past two matches through Dufty and the electric fullback is excited to be re-united with his former under 20s teammate.

Dragons produce try of the year nomination

"I have played probably over 100 games with him so I know what he can do and everyone in the club knows what he can do, and how exciting he is," Dufty said. "He is just ready to go out there and show everyone else."

While fans marvelled over Dufty's 60-metre solo try against the Sydney Roosters on Anzac Day at the SCG, Field first came to the attention of most NRL supporters with a length-of-the-field effort against Manly at the 2017 Auckland Nines.

"I've got him over 40 but he's probably quicker over 100 metres," Dufty said.

The pair came through St George Illawarra's junior ranks together and terrorised opposition teams in the 2016 National Youth Competition, combining for a total of 38 tries between them.

Jai Field - Try of the #NRLAKL9s so far!? #NRL

Posted by NRL - National Rugby League on Friday, 3 February 2017
Dufty scored 23 tries in 22 matches, while Field crossed for 15 tries and they each made 22 line breaks. In addition, Dufty produced 22 try assists and Field made 19, while the Shellharbour junior also kicked 76 goals.

"I don't know if there was a competition, there probably was because we compete about everything but he is definitely someone I am excited to play with again," Dufty said.

"He's excited, he played a few games a couple of years ago and I think he has matured since then. He is not just all about those fancy plays, he is about the one-per-centers now and he does what he needs to do to win footy games."

Field played three NRL matches in 2017 and two last year but has had to bide his time for a chance in the starting team.

At the start of last season, he and Dufty were vying for the St George Illawarra fullback role but a series of injuries related to Field's weight increase from 72kg to 85kg proved a setback.

The signing of Norman has required Field to maintain his patience but the loss of the star playmaker with a fractured cheekbone has given the youngster the chance to play alongside Ben Hunt in the halves.

"Fieldsy is one of those players you want in the team because he can break games open wherever he is playing," Dufty said.

"I think with Hunty coming to the club and now Normy this year it has been a bit hard but he has been a bit patient, he has trained hard and he has worked hard and now he has got his opportunity."

Warriors v Dragons - Magic Round

Warriors v Dragons
What will be the result of their round 9 clash?

Warriors v Dragons What will be the result of their round 9 clash?
  • Warriors 1-10
    0%
  • Warriors 11+
    0%
  • Dragons 1-10
    0%
  • Dragons 11+
    0%

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...ver-100m-dufty-excited-to-reunite-with-field/

Latest posts