What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Roberts

willzy91

Juniors
Does anyone have any of the latest info regarding Roberts? I have a mate who is a journo pretty good with his info, he told me pretty much no to Roberts and the latest article that was posted in this thread (smh) was news to him.

For the sake of the dragons I really hope your journo friend is wrong! But we should be finding out by Wednesday at the latest. From all reports he still hasn't made up his mind but formal offers were all submitted last night. All comes down to his decision now, clubs have all done what they can...fingers crossed!

ONPOINT

Juniors
Yep would be a massive signing. The biggest.

He is worth 550-600 a season. Would turn the Dragons into a real threat.

willzy91

Juniors

100% agree let's hope that the attraction of playing fullback will bring him to the dragons...I still think we are the complete outside chance of getting him over both Souths and Broncos but gee would it be a massive coup for the club if we could add his talent to an already massively talented backline. If he would have to choose a club based just on backline talent to play along side of have to say the dragons would be the pick from the three across the whole backline...

Mr Red

First Grade

hell.... a backline of Dugan, Lafai, Roberts, barge ass, Widdop, Nighty and Peter M could even score a lot of points despite the attacking coaching prowess of Mary...

TomRedVRiver

Bench
If it's anyone i'd pay overs for it's Roberts. I mean obviously no recruitment team wants to pay overs for anyone, but when a player of his calibre comes on the market that could slot straight into fullback and can directly help steer you to a premiership, you'd have to throw everything you possibly can at them.

What are people's thoughts on potential releases? There are talks that if we're going to pull this off, Matautia might come under the firing line.

willzy91

Juniors
If it's anyone i'd pay overs for it's Roberts. I mean obviously no recruitment team wants to pay overs for anyone, but when a player of his calibre comes on the market that could slot straight into fullback and can directly help steer you to a premiership, you'd have to throw everything you possibly can at them.

What are people's thoughts on potential releases? There are talks that if we're going to pull this off, Matautia might come under the firing line.

I'd say matuatia would be released or offered to the Knights so he can be with his brothers but I think with Farrells money and left over money we most likely have enough to keep everyone and still afford Roberts with a back ended contact. Just depends how many years he is wanting always because we don't often offer more then two years these days...

Lethal25

Juniors

100% support Matautia being moved on if we can land Roberts

ONPOINT

Juniors
As much as I like Matautia and think he's a good player, you'd be crazy not to release him to accommodate James Roberts. Roberts speed has never been seen before in league and he is very very strong. Defence wasn't too bad either last year.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I 100% agree. Whilst I truly appreciate everything that Matautia has done for the club, if he has to be moved on to accommodate James Roberts then so be it.

Let's not forget it wasn't all that long ago that Pete asked for a release to be with his brothers.
It's looking like Roberts will take Pete and Farrell's money. Offer him 3 years. A car, a boat. Whatever it takes haha.

willzy91

Juniors
I 100% agree. Whilst I truly appreciate everything that Matautia has done for the club, if he has to be moved on to accommodate James Roberts then so be it.

Let's not forget it wasn't all that long ago that Pete asked for a release to be with his brothers.
It's looking like Roberts will take Pete and Farrell's money. Offer him 3 years. A car, a boat. Whatever it takes haha.

Im with you on all that! Get him to the dragons and we will be top 4 contenders...but I do love that we have the underdog tag again this coming season with everyone ruling us out of the top 8 already...

mmap dragons

Juniors
Neither Mundine or Amos manage James. His uncle Jeremy Donovan is his manager and he wants him to go to a top 4 club. It's Souths deal almost done!

Thanks as always for the insight uncle Big Man. Souffs deal almost done you say? I wouldn't go counting them chickens just yet old mate. ;-)

BigBoss

Juniors
I just hope we've made him a big, big offer; $500k-$600k. Roberts is the kind of player that is very much worth paying overs for.

This would suck really hard if we miss out on him though to be honest, seeing as though he wanted to play fullback and we are the only option available for him in that position.

Last edited:

Lethal25

Juniors
I just hope we've made him a big, big offer; $500k-$600k. Roberts is the kind of player that is very much worth paying overs for.

This would suck really hard if we miss out on him though to be honest, seeing as though he wanted to play fullback and we are the only option available for him in that position.

The cynical part of me says he only says he wants to play fullback so he can get paid fullback money

possm

Coach

Yes I agree however, I think 400-500k will do the trick and I believe a cap of around 300k with the balance coming from a WIN TV organized 3rd party deal.

I've been told his uncle - Amos Roberts - who once played for the Dragons, is very keen to see him also play for the Dragons and has told him so.

The Dragons are now acting with a little more confidence in the player market. I put this down to the likely sale of the football Club to Gordon and WIN TV.

So what do we have to offer:

· A good salary and 3rd party offer
· A fullback position
· A good player roster and depth
· A good Club environment
· Recommendations from people close to him
· A Club with a very positive future

possm

Coach
I hear ya mate.

Roberts's signature may give Mary the option to have Dugan and Roberts move between fullback and right center as necessary. I think we lose nothing in this and it surely allows us to adjust our play and game plan in a way that gives us heaps more variety and flexibility.

Lethal25

Juniors
Possm, there's no doubt his signing would revamp how the side could play. I am concerned we would be paying 2 guys a salary normally aligned with a fullback than a centre. It just means money is being moved away from somewhere else.

Mind you I do feel the roster moving forward looks significantly better than it has in the last few years.

Puff2010

Juniors
Roberts's signature may give Mary the option to have Dugan and Roberts move between fullback and right center as necessary. I think we lose nothing in this and it surely allows us to adjust our play and game plan in a way that gives us heaps more variety and flexibility.

Possm, I like your thinking in these last two posts. Would certainly be a good acquisition. I didn't realise that Amos was an Uncle. Anthony would tend to lean towards Rabbits as he is (or was) an ambassador for them.
Time will tell and we should know by weeks end. Let's hope it's thumbs up for us

willzy91

Juniors

Yes I agree however, I think 400-500k will do the trick and I believe a cap of around 300k with the balance coming from a WIN TV organized 3rd party deal.

I've been told his uncle - Amos Roberts - who once played for the Dragons, is very keen to see him also play for the Dragons and has told him so.

The Dragons are now acting with a little more confidence in the player market. I put this down to the likely sale of the football Club to Gordon and WIN TV.

So what do we have to offer:

· A good salary and 3rd party offer
· A fullback position
· A good player roster and depth
· A good Club environment
· Recommendations from people close to him
· A Club with a very positive future

This is a great insight here possm! And I totally agree with you. I just hope all this will actually get Roberts to the club...