What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Roberts

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I do honestly and truly feel like we are ahead in this race for his signature. Whilst I don't want to get my hopes up, I feel as if we can offer more for him for the future, particularly that fullback spot.

The only factors from our competitors that could change that...
Broncos - Bennett. Winning culture. Stays in Queensland.
Souths - Winning culture. Good coach. Great forwards to play off.

But you know what we can offer? A promising future for a developing team, a fullback spot and the chance to help build and push a team to a premiership. For me, that would be more exciting. I just hope it is for James too.
That and a fat pay-check. Make it happen board. Bring this guy to the Red V.

kit66

Bench
I can see him in the Red V. I have a feeling we could see it happen.
It'd make me even more optimistic for 2016 that's for sure.

ONPOINT

Juniors
Everyone here needs to understand what a massive signing this would be. The guy is a freak of an athlete and footballer. Always has been in his juniours and now. His speed + strength is unmatched in league and he has some ball playing skills. 22 years old and already this good.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Everyone here needs to understand what a massive signing this would be. The guy is a freak of an athlete and footballer. Always has been in his juniours and now. His speed + strength is unmatched in league and he has some ball playing skills. 22 years old and already this good.

This x 100. Imagine his metres on kick returns...

dragon-83

Juniors

lets sign him first then talk about how good a player he is.

But you know what we can offer? A promising future for a developing team, a fullback spot and the chance to help build and push a team to a premiership. For me, that would be more exciting. I just hope it is for James too.
That and a fat pay-check. Make it happen board. Bring this guy to the Red V.

We can also offer super coach Mary :roll:

Straight Shooter

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Sorry bud, optimism has no bearing on the actual quality of a coach.

Straight Shooter

Optimism has plenty of bearing on the supporters of a football team.
Especially considering that 'super coach' took us to a top 8 finish when nobody said we would come close.

Str8 Sh00ta.

TruSaint

Referee
We can also offer super coach Mary :roll:

Straight Shooter

OV,

Questions for you, seriously..

Was 2015 a success in terms of expectations ?

Have we filled the void in our apparent "soft pack" in the off season ?

Have we recruited well in our backline, and also depth in the squad ?

Would you say we have been the most proactive club in recruitment this year ?

Where in particular (apart from scoring points which now has been addressed ), did Mary fail last year ? In his first year at the helm mind you.

With our without Roberts, on paper at least, we have a team that will compete week in week out. Thats all I can ask for. We have bought wisely, have addressed our deficiencies, and appear atleast to be a club on the rise.

BTW, I was against Mary's appointment, but he has to date at least, proven his worth.

Of all the Clubs in the NRL, we should be most pleased with the happenings this off season.

Over and out.

OV,

Questions for you, seriously..

Was 2015 a success in terms of expectations ?

Have we filled the void in our apparent "soft pack" in the off season ?

Have we recruited well in our backline, and also depth in the squad ?

Would you say we have been the most proactive club in recruitment this year ?

Where in particular (apart from scoring points which now has been addressed ), did Mary fail last year ? In his first year at the helm mind you.

With our without Roberts, on paper at least, we have a team that will compete week in week out. Thats all I can ask for. We have bought wisely, have addressed our deficiencies, and appear atleast to be a club on the rise.

BTW, I was against Mary's appointment, but he has to date at least, proven his worth.

Of all the Clubs in the NRL, we should be most pleased with the happenings this off season.

Over and out.

Agree with nearly all the above.

I just wish we could get rid of ALL the deadwood - including Mary and Doust. Despite improvements, it's not an oxymoron to say those two are also holding us back.

That's why I wouldn't say with our without Roberts. It's fair to say his signature is a function of the professionalism of this club, generally speaking. We always seem to miss out on the real good ones.

Straight Shooter

TruSaint

Referee
Agree with nearly all the above.

I just wish we could get rid of ALL the deadwood - including Mary and Doust. Despite improvements, it's not an oxymoron to say those two are also holding us back.

That's why I wouldn't say with our without Roberts. It's fair to say his signature is a function of the professionalism of this club, generally speaking. We always seem to miss out on the real good ones.

Straight Shooter

Great and appreciate the reply.

Your point as to Roberts signature is interesting. His signing would be an indicator to you that the Club is the real deal yeah ? IE, capable of attracting so called " elite" players ?

ONPOINT

Juniors
Mary has done well so far. I know a few boys in lower grades and they have told me he is massively respected. The problem with price is that he wasn't. Having Roberts or bird at fullback will really position this club to make a top 4 finish.

TruSaint

Referee
Mary has done well so far. I know a few boys in lower grades and they have told me he is massively respected. The problem with price is that he wasn't. Having Roberts or bird at fullback will really position this club to make a top 4 finish.

My point was that we have now been very proactive in rectifying our weaknesses. It appears as you say he is well respected. Thats great as Price was not. However, with or without Roberts or Bird, we now have a dominant pack, 2 international halves, and a backline of some 7-8 players vying for a spot.

Dont misunderstand me, I wish we sign sign Jimmy, but even if we dont, we need to be realistic and say that the Club has progressed well in the off season, after the debacle that was the Price era.

Simon

Juniors
I'll start by saying I hope we sign Roberts, but I'm not sure about playing him at fullback. The only reason we have to move Dugan from the back is to get an extra ball playing option in attack. I can't see Roberts offering that. Dugan is, if not the best, one of the best ball returners in the game. I'm sure Roberts would also be good here, but whether he can match Dugan is questionable. Roberts has speed, but I'm not sure he has the ball playing ability to move Dugan from fullback.

I hope we sign Roberts and he plays in the centres with Dugan as fullback. With Roberts and Lafai in the backline I'd hope that this opens up more attacking options. Potentially Roberts can have a floating role in attack, which may also allow Dugan to make strong line runs in the oppositions twenty.

Latest posts