What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Roberts

Cagey Mac

Bench
It's a good point. So far he is merely a relatively young player with a lot of potential. Like the Stanley brothers and Cameron King.

Err...no!
He's the fastest player in the NRL with a superior skill set to all bar Kyle who didn't have anything like his pace.

The Nick

Bench
If the decision for Roberts is between the Broncos and Dragons then it will come down to 4 main considerations;

Coach - Bennett wins this one
Position - Fullback Saints win this one
Money - With a WIN TV 3rd Party deal on offer this one is draw
Location - closeness to family and a beach side location Saints win this one

Saints win 2.5 to 1.5

Not sure why you quoted me to post this?

I think Brisbane/Sydney proximity to Kempsey is practically a draw so not sure how you figure we win that one?

Mary has only been in charge for a season and a half and inherited massive salary cap problems.

Straight Shooter:cool:

Only took him half that time to prove OV wrong too.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Roberts is such a great fit for the Dragons it would be a real shame if we missed out on him.

The difference between he and some young up and coming juniors we have coming through is that he is a proven NRL player who has speed to burn.

I really don't know what happend between the Club and PM but I sure wish he was with us now to close this deal.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I remember a time when Leon Bott was the fastest player in the NRL......

and who knows what he could have been if injury hadn't intervened
Funny too that Bott ultimately couldn't secure a position in the Broncs because it was taken by none other than Darius Bennett.

The Nick

Bench
and who knows what he could have been if injury hadn't intervened
Funny too that Bott ultimately couldn't secure a position in the Broncs because it was taken by none other than Darius Bennett.

Yes unfortunate that he became the first NRL player to suffer an injury.... Which he soon returned from...

Oh I didn't realise Darius Boyd followed him to Cronulla and the Bulldogs....

Dragon66

Juniors
Not sure why you quoted me to post this?

I think Brisbane/Sydney proximity to Kempsey is practically a draw so not sure how you figure we win that one?

Only took him half that time to prove OV wrong too.

Nick, he was BORN in Kempsey, but grew up in South Sydney. Was a La Perouse Jnr.
No idea where his wife's family lives. That could be the clincher with a new born baby on the way. Depends how close that is because of all the packing, removal and setting up a new household. If there is still several months to go that could be the ace for us, plus the money of course

redVinme

Bench
I recall a game last year (which one escapes me) where Roberts on the 5th tackle caught in their own 20 m instead of feeding the ball off to the halves for a down town kick took the ball from dummy half and ran 70m to score basically untouched. His awareness and pace would be such an asset to us especially if JD ends up in the centres. Hard to argue we wouldn't have close to the best centre pairing then. I really hope we go all out and actually end up with someone the big fish are chasing.

Saint-Fez

Juniors
I remember a time when Leon Bott was the fastest player in the NRL......

I'll have to check the record books, but I'm pretty certain Leon Bott was never named dally m centre of the year.... also fairly confident that he was never selected at centre in the world team of the year.

The Nick

Bench
Your point?

Read back through the thread, I think my point is as obvious as yours.

Nick, he was BORN in Kempsey, but grew up in South Sydney. Was a La Perouse Jnr.
No idea where his wife's family lives. That could be the clincher with a new born baby on the way. Depends how close that is because of all the packing, removal and setting up a new household. If there is still several months to go that could be the ace for us, plus the money of course

Yeah I understand a lot of his base is in Sydney (some are saying this is the reason the NRL doesn't want him in Sydney) but you're kidding yourself if you don't think he has strong ties to Kempsey where the majority of his family still live.

His wife is from the South Coast and due in April, BTW.

I'll have to check the record books, but I'm pretty certain Leon Bott was never named dally m centre of the year.... also fairly confident that he was never selected at centre in the world team of the year.

Wow you mean the completely subjective News Corp. owned Dally M awards and that prestigious WORLD TEAM OF THE YEAR everyone always talks about!?

Saint-Fez

Juniors
Wow you mean the completely subjective News Corp. owned Dally M awards and that prestigious WORLD TEAM OF THE YEAR everyone always talks about!?[/QUOTE]

What is your point?​
Discredit the awards if you want but the fact remains that he beat all other players in his position based on his performances in 2015.​
Are you saying that news corp had ulterior motives for giving him the award? Perhaps someone was payed off?​

The Nick

Bench
Wow you mean the completely subjective News Corp. owned Dally M awards and that prestigious WORLD TEAM OF THE YEAR everyone always talks about!?

What is your point?​
Discredit the awards if you want but the fact remains that he beat all other players in his position based on his performances in 2015.​
Are you saying that news corp had ulterior motives for giving him the award? Perhaps someone was payed off?​
[/QUOTE]

My point is that it's a subjective award that loses credibility due to the fact it is owned and run by News Corp. who also have financial stakes in a number of teams and players through ownership and 3rd party agreements, which equals a massive conflict of interest.

Matt Orford won the overall Dally M medal once. Didn't make him a good buy for Canberra.

Fingerbang

Bench
Leave OV alone....he is running out of straws to clutch re Mary.

Something special about being the only one still unsatisfied with Mary's performance as coach. Tis true OV...you are special.

the_saints

Juniors
Hmm let's see... Josh Dugan (NSW), Benji Marshall (International, Premiership Winner), Gareth Widdop (International, Premiership Winner) come to mind as bigger signings than a rookie with no rep or finals experience to his name

Ahhh ok so because he hasn't played rep footy or won a premiership he's not a bigger signing this is coming from a bloke who didn't want robbie Farah to come to the club lol he's played rep footy and won a premiership you would know what a good signing was if it got up and punched you in the face .. Guess what josh Reynolds played rep footy even Bulldogs fans will agree with me and say he isn't even worthy of bundy cup

Latest posts